Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Game Discussion

Game Discussion Chat about video games from old school classics to the latest and upcoming releases.

Old 02-28-2012   #1
pokemastanumba1

Default Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS

First of all, I just want to say that it's great to contribute to such an amazing website. As one of the most sophisticated databases of the worldwide web, it's a very commendable endeavor to honor and support hardworking voice actors from all around the world. I look forward to seeing what else there is to offer and hope that BTVA will really make a name for itself one day. I sure am excited, as this is my 200th post in BTVA! Woot woot!

Of course, what better way to celebrate than to announce the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U and 3DS!

Who else is *pumped* for this game? When will it finally come out? What sorts of cool new features will be added? Lots of questions concerning the game have already been brought to the attention of both the public and Nintendo, and we can only keep asking until they finally disclose more information.

And of course, there's the requisite question for any upcoming fighter: who will be in the roster, and why couldn't some other particular characters make the cut?

Let's start off with my own ideal choices (assuming Brawl's roster remains at least mostly intact):

Rosalina (Super Mario Bros. series)

Deoxys (Pokémon series)

King K. Rool (Donkey Kong series)

Black Shadow (F-Zero series)

Krystal (Star Fox series)

Ridley/Meta Ridley (Metroid series)

Starfy (The Legendary Starfy series)

Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog series)

Nathan Drake (Uncharted series)

Big Boss (Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots)
Old 02-28-2012   #2
ConfusedPhantom

Default Re: Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS

Interesting choices. King K Rool is long overdue, imo. However, Nathan Drake doesn't really fall under the established rules Sakurai placed for 3rd party characters. He hasn't ever been on a Nintendo console and probably never will. Not saying that he wouldn't be cool to see. He would be, though, don't get me wrong, and I'm not trying to stop you from wanting him in Smash, or anything.

Anywho...If Sonic sticks, I like them to make some tweaks on him so it makes it easier for him to KO opponents

Last edited by ConfusedPhantom; 02-28-2012 at 03:33 PM.
ConfusedPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #3
pokemastanumba1

Lightbulb Re: Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedPhantom View Post
Interesting choices. King K Rool is long overdue. However, Nathan Drake doesn't really fall under the established rules Sakurai placed for 3rd party characters. He hasn't ever been on a Nintendo console and probably never will. Not saying that he wouldn't be cool to see. He would be, though, don't get me wrong, and I'm not trying to stop you from wanting him in Smash, or anything.
I do have to agree with you. I just don't understand why KKR has never made the cut before, as he's definitely one of the most iconic Nintendo-based villains alongside Bowser and Ganondorf. I've actually thought of some potential moveset(s) for him if he finally does make it this time.

As for Nathan Drake, it's not just because I'm a huge fan of Nolan North or the Uncharted series. The thing is, the staff of Nintendo have discussed introducing more third-party characters/franchises, and given his sheer popularity, he's a very obvious candidate (at least for me). Not to mention how cool it would be to see him face off against Solid Snake.

Of course, these were just personal suggestions. Does anyone here have any different ideas?
Old 02-28-2012   #4
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

I wouldn't count on Drake either because he's never appeared on a Nintendo console. Meanwhile, Sonic and Snake have.

That being said, I hope the hype for this game was as fun as the hype for Brawl. Good times! I can only fathom how epic the reveal trailer is going to be.

Here are some characters I'd like to see (not necessarily saying I hope all of them get in the game), plus explanations for the guests and some of the "stranger" choices:

Mario:
Rosalina
Dimentio - Paper Mario needs some love, and Dimentio would be one of the best choices IMO.
Geno - ONLY if Nintendo and Square Enix can work out a deal.

DK:
Dixie Kong
K. Rool

Zelda:
Ghirahim
Skull Kid
Vaati
Zant

Kirby:
Adelaide - The painter from Kirby 64. Could have an interesting moveset. Plus we need more female fighters.

F-Zero:
Black Shadow
Pico
Samurai Goroh

Metroid:
Ridley - He'd be unique and another villain is always welcome.

Pokemon:
New team for Pokemon Trainer (Blaziken, Grotle, Totodile) - Kanto is represented by Pikachu and Jigglypuff, while there's a new rep for Unova. This way, the remaining three regions can be represented by one character.
Zoruark - One of the more popular Unova reps I know of. He'd take Lucario's spot in the same way Lucario booted Mewtwo.

Other:
Little Mac - Punch-Out was a great game, and come on, he's a boxer! His moveset speaks for itself!
Professor Layton
Chibi Robo - I played some of this game once and it was really fun. One of Nintendo's most original IPs lately. They could resize him like they did for Olimar.
Elite Beat Agents - One of the most underrated DS games ever. I would LOVE it if J, Derek, and Morris showed up as playable characters or at least assists.
Animal Crossing Boy/Girl (maybe have it so that like Wario, one set of colours uses the boy model, the other set uses the girl)
Isaac
Saki Amamiya
Mii - With Wii Sports, Wii Music, Wii Play, and Wii Fit, they'd have no shortage of moveset ideas. I was actually surprised they didn't get into Brawl.

Guests:
Mega Man (Classic preferably, but X would be great too) - A classic NES character and one of the most famous gaming mascots. Surprised he wasn't in Brawl.

Simon Belmont (Castlevania) - Same as Mega Man.

Black Mage (Final Fantasy) - Either he or Warrior of Light are probably the best possible choices for an FF rep (Cloud hasn't had much Nintendo exposure, while Firion, Onion Knight, Cecil, Bartz, or Terra don't seem as iconic to me). Debuted on the NES, is from the first game in the series, and has lots of moveset potential.

Crono (Chrono Trigger) - If there has to be another choice for a Square Enix rep, Crono is one of the best options. His game was one of the most acclaimed and popular SNES titles.

Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends With You) - A third likely Squeenix pick. His game is popular and both of his appearances are Nintendo-only.

Dragon Quest rep - One more Squeenix character. Since Nintendo has published the recent DQ games, and the series has crossed over with Mario, I think a character from this series would be a no-brainer.

Pac-Man - Another classic gaming icon.

Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia) - ToS was one of the most beloved GameCube exclusives, so its hero should have a fair shot.

Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes) - He has a beam sword which could have potential, and NMH was one of the more well-liked third-party Wii exclusives.

Shantae - Her games look really good (been meaning to pick up the new one for a while) and as a genie, she could have an interesting moveset. One of the more obscure choices.

Shulk (Xenoblade) - Since this looks to be one of the last truly great Wii exclusives and Nintendo's been pushing it a good bit, why not have the main character show up in Smash Bros?

Last edited by NCZ; 02-28-2012 at 04:01 PM.
NCZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #5
pokemastanumba1

I guess nobody else here on BTVA shares my (unabashed) love of Drake with me...

Moving on, I actually expected that Geno would be suggested, as he already was for Brawl. As much as I really loved Legend of the Seven Stars, I don't think he can make it. Having been in only ONE game (not counting cameos), especially one made by Square, I'm afraid the chances of him making it are slim to none. Not to mention that he's very obscure to most Nintendo gamers these days (when he was included in a list of characters that should've been in Brawl, almost everyone had no idea who he is).

Samurai Goroh was indeed a cool assist trophy in Brawl, but I'm not sure how he would fare if he was a full-fledged player character.

The Pokémon Trainer was a neat addition to Brawl, and I like the idea of introducing a different incarnation of him/her, but I just think that a forme-changing Deoxys would be infinitely cooler. Not to mention how it was also another fan-favorite everyone wanted playable in Brawl, only to find out that it's just another PokéBall Pokémon.

Knowing how Capcom is drastically losing steam as of late, I don't think Nintendo would want to negotiate anything with them at this point.

Well regardless, I really like your other suggestions NCZ! Especially Vaati (another iconic villain), Little Mac (a great classic), and Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes was also highly underrated). Those would be capital additions to the roster.

I also really liked how you brought up the idea of playing as a Mii. I really thought that that was automatically going to be an option in Brawl, yet strangely wasn't. I mean, it would have been such an obvious choice! One could only imagine all the possible things a Mii can do to fight (throw a ball, hit with a tennis racket, wield a heavy club, etc.). Plus, almost every party game has the option of using a custom-made avatar of some sort. It's only very practical.

That actually raises another point: customization! If there's an option to use a character whose appearance you customized, why not extend it to apply to movesets as well? Watch as the hilarity ensues when Mario swallows opponents with a long tongue, Ganondorf utilizes a peanut shooter, Snake can breathe fire, etc.

Any ideas for new features as well?
Old 02-28-2012   #6
NCZ

I thought the demo of Uncharted 2 was fun (I haven't played the whole thing). It's just that unless he shows up on a Nintendo system, his chances are close to none.

Nintendo and Square Enix seem to be getting along really well, actually. DS-exclusive remakes of some of their games, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Fortune Street, TWEWY, and more. Also consider that Nobuo Uematsu and Kazushige Nojima both worked on Brawl. Even though they aren't with Squeenix nowadays, they have connections.

As for Goroh, I was just throwing out ideas. The Skull was one of my personal favourites from F-Zero X, but his odds are unlikely.

I hope that My Music can be extended. Maybe make it possible to play custom music from an SD Card.

I'd like to see a much better plot. Subspace Emissary was pretty dull, actually. The plot was vague and it got boring towards the end (the Great Maze... shudder). If it was more like Adventure Mode in Melee (full of homages to Nintendo history, maybe with a dimension-hopping twist), I'd like it way more.

And we need more backgrounds and features for the Stage Builder! I loved using it but the limited backgrounds put me off. LittleBigPlanet had AWESOME customization. If the Stage Builder was a bit more like that, I'd love it even more.

Finally, a character creator would be really cool. If not, then at least custom costumes like Tekken does.
Old 02-28-2012   #7
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Isn't Naughty Dog owned by Sony? I don't think Nathan Drake will EVER be a potential candidate for Smash Brothers.
Nightmare Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #8
ninjinister

I'd like Pichu to return, but maybe with an added twist. Make it the Pichu Bros. (from the anime and the Pokémon Mini game) or even better, Gizamimi Pichu from HeartGold/SoulSilver, complete with kung-fu A button moves and voice of Shoko-tan.

As for newcomers: Starfy (I loved the DS game), Skapon and Little Mac (natural fighters), and longshots, I know, but Captain Syrup and Wart.
ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #9
NCZ

Ooh, Wart and Captain Syrup. Some obscure, long-forgotten baddies. I like it! Maybe throw in Tatanga as well!
Old 02-28-2012   #10
ninjinister

I approve of him too.
ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote