Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > General Topics > General Chat

General Chat Introduce yourself or just talk about something not related to our site topics here.

Old 05-24-2018   #1
NCZ
Croissants

Default Regarding voice compare comments

All right, I had to make a thread on this because I noticed it's becoming more of an issue and I've had other users express the same sentiment to me.

I'm not going to give specific examples because this isn't directed at anyone specifically, but you can look at recently made/created voice compare comments and get a feel for what I mean.

Years ago I remember there was an issue with someone who was taking my comments and then copying them and passing them off as their own. I asked them to stop because it weirded me out and that was the end of that. If this was in school that'd be plagiarism. You wouldn't do that, would you?

The thing is now it's becoming a widespread thing. On so many voice compares it's frustrating to me to see that so many comments just feel like people are copying and rewording other people's comments or the Editor's Opinion*. This is sad to me because this isn't what the goal of a voice compare is set out to be. I like comments when people can talk about their personal connection to a role, or what they feel makes the performance work for a character. I like seeing people who are unafraid to say something unusual and explain why, inciting discussion and creativity in the process.

(*I actually didn't do an Editor's Opinion for a few VCs to see if it would mitigate the issue, but what happened was the first commenter would get copied.)

We live in an age where all the information in the world is at our fingertips and almost any topic or opinion can become a hot button. We also live in an age where everyone has their own little community. It's easy to fall into groupthink because you want to fit in with the crowd. But in that age, it's just as important to remember it's okay to not be 100% knowledgeable on everything. No one is. You don't have to feel obligated to comment on something if you aren't the most familiar with it or don't feel that strongly. You don't have to feel like copying the crowd is the be-all-end-all. If you agree with someone else's comment but don't have much more to add, you can use the Shout Out function. To be blunt, we don't need a half-dozen comments that are all essentially repeating the same point. After that point it all just becomes noise.

Just a tip so people can be mindful when commenting in the future. Because to be honest, when people are taking what are clearly someone else's words and then putting them in their own mouth, it's usually pretty obvious.

Last edited by NCZ; 05-24-2018 at 02:42 PM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018   #2
Soul-dragon
Banned

Default Re: Regarding voice compare comments

Thanks for this. I'll remember it in the future.
Soul-dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018   #3
Troodon2

Sometimes it's difficult to know we're saying the virtually the same thing as someone else, even if it is worded differently; and even just as difficult to try and say something different that could either add to someone else's point or to state a new one.

At the end of the day I guess it comes down to one thing, we really ought to take the time necessary to read other people's comments before we make our own, because if there's something in mind we might want to say, there's always a chance someone else may have beaten us to it.
Troodon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018   #4
PsychicVoiceSpy

There have been times in the past when I've written really basic, boring comments that don't add much new to the discussion or say basically the same thing others have, but there can be different reasons for that depending on the occasion. There have been times when I really want to comment on something, but my level of mental clarity and/or energy is so crap that I couldn't articulate what I'm trying to say or make an interesting point to save my life, so I say something really subdued, short, and dull instead because I feel frustrated.

Or, I'm highly interested in the compare, or even emotional about it, and I might get too over-enthusiastic or even aggressive over it, and then embarrass myself. This fear that I might get too emotionally charged if I really get into it often leaves me feeling anxious and burned out while writing, and again, I'll settle for a bland comment, because I'm frustrated and sorta desperate to get over that mental block and just say something. Even if what I post leaves me feeling unsatisfied.

As you described, there have certainly been occasions when I've felt compelled to comment out of obligation when I don't care that much, or even when I hardly have any idea what I'm talking about... which is something I think I have mostly grown out of, but every now and then...

Anyway, that's just my perspective. Sometimes these things might happen because, in instances like mine, the commenter could just have a deficient mess of a brain, poor decision making skills, and goes through a bunch of stupid, overly complicated thought processes that make everything a lot harder than it needs to be.
PsychicVoiceSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018   #5
NCZ
Croissants

I gotta clarify one thing.

What is being referred to here is were multiple instances when the actual content of people's comments was being copied. Not just like "oh, their opinion is the same". It's only natural that sometimes people end up having similar thoughts on a topic, and that's fine. But there were users who were actually copying other people's comments from a textual point of view and it was becoming a chronic issue. The same users constantly copying other people's words every time they commented on something. THAT's what we're referring to here. Sorry if it was unclear.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018   #6
Troodon2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
I gotta clarify one thing.

What is being referred to here is were multiple instances when the actual content of people's comments was being copied. Not just like "oh, their opinion is the same". It's only natural that sometimes people end up having similar thoughts on a topic, and that's fine. But there were users who were actually copying other people's comments from a textual point of view and it was becoming a chronic issue. The same users constantly copying other people's words every time they commented on something. THAT's what we're referring to here. Sorry if it was unclear.
Thanks for clarifying. Never the less, I'll try to be more careful with my own choice of words next time.
Troodon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018   #7
Torak

If I have copied any direct statements or points people have made recently, I apologise and before commenting I will lift my fingers up, take a breath and consider the context in which my comments are being typed in.
Torak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018   #8
SupremeTarantulas

Solution here is obvious. Just credit the user in your post or say nothing. If you copy a comment cause you agree with it, just say you agree with it mostly and the. post your opinion further.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018   #9
Nightmare Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeTarantulas View Post
Solution here is obvious. Just credit the user in your post or say nothing. If you copy a comment cause you agree with it, just say you agree with it mostly and the. post your opinion further.
We have the shout out button for a reason. It's silly to bloat up comment sections with endless posts of, "I agree with that." or restating what people already said. If you're tempted to copy someone else's comment then just shout it out and leave it at that.
Old 11-25-2018   #10
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
We have the shout out button for a reason. It's silly to bloat up comment sections with endless posts of, "I agree with that." or restating what people already said. If you're tempted to copy someone else's comment then just shout it out and leave it at that.
Forgot about the shout out button.

My post meant that if you agree with a post but have something different to say . You can just say I mostly agree with "so and so" then say something in your own words or if you just want to reply to that person with your own take on the person.

If you have nothing to say then just use simply use the shout out button.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote