Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 03-14-2015   #1
akersaotome

Default Critical Role: D&D with Matt Mercer and crew

Thursday 12th March 2015 marked the premier of Critical Role: D&D with Matt Mercer and crew, broadcast on Geek and Sundry channel on Twitch.tv. Critical role is a show with Matthew Mercer and friends playing Dungeons and Dragons.

The cast for Critical role are:

Matthew Mercer: Dungeon Master
Liam O'Brien: Vax'ildan the Half Elf Rogue
Laura Bailey: Vex'ahlia the Half Elf Ranger (accompanied with Trinket the bear)
Travis Willingham: Grog the Goliath Barbarian
Marisha Ray: Keyleth the Elven Druid
Orion Acaba: Tiberius the Dragonborn Sorcerer
Taliesin Jaffe: Percy the Human Gunslinger
Sam Riegel: Scanlan the Gnome Bard
Ashley Johnson: Pike the Gnome Cleric

For this broadcast, Ashley Johnson wasn't available because she was in London, picking up a BAFTA award, for next time I believe Ashley should be available.

Critical role started with an introduction to the characters, voiced by their respective actor. My favourite intro was Grog, where he said he likes two things, combat, women and ale (yes Grog said he likes two things).

This broadcast lasted around 3 hours. Although it was sometimes hard to follow, since they started playing D&D 2 years ago, it was pretty awesome to actually see it and thanks to Geek and Sundry for making this happen.

After watching the debut, I have to say that Matthew Mercer is god-like as the Dungeon Master. The way he snaps into many characters is a sight to behold. Also, how well he manages to keep track of everything. If I ever wanted to play D&D, Matt Mercer must be the Dungeon Master. The campaigners all had a good time, especially the comedy that was provided by Scanlan. The background music that accompanied the campaign was well done. There were some teething issues with audio, but for a first time stream it was pretty good.

Here's a video made by Ashley Johnson about D&D. (warning, fruity language in this video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rsks5PWfG8

I'll look forward for the next broadcast.
akersaotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015   #2
madalex1234

Default Re: Critical Role: D&D with Matt Mercer and crew

Is there an archive of this to watch somewhere?
madalex1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015   #3
akersaotome

I removed the twitch links and replaced them with a youtube link.

Critical Role RPG Show Episode 1: Arrival at Kraghammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-p9lWIhcLQ

Last edited by akersaotome; 08-01-2015 at 04:32 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-16-2015   #4
Regomania

Before i found out what critical role was actually about i thought it was an animated series.
Regomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015   #5
akersaotome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regomania View Post
Before i found out what critical role was actually about i thought it was an animated series.
In truth it should be an animated series. I'm thinking of opening a new thread on the subject.
Old 03-16-2015   #6
Regomania

I'd be a backer if they crowd funded it. It NEEDS to be a animated series.
Regomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015   #7
akersaotome

Thursday 19th March was the second edition of Critical Role: D&D with Matt Mercer and crew. Unfortunately, Ashley Johnson was unavailable so her character Pike the Gnome Cleric has yet to make her debut.

Last week, Scanlan (Sam Riegel) became the surprise hero. Apparently, its his first victory in 2 years of their campaign. The biggest cheer was when Dungeon Master (Matt Mercer) says "how do you want to do this?"

Link to second episode:

Critical Role Episode 2: Into the Greyspine Mines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTie0S_5gjE

This week, the audio still had some issues. Scanlan provided the music, with this little number: "Scanlan make you feel good, Scanlan make you feel real good". Grog (Travis Willingham) was trying to trade with a dwarf trader. Vax (Liam O'Brien) tried to trade a Troll's male genital. Unfortunately it was out of stock in their inventory. The campaigners struggled this time against the Umber Hulks. The episode ends with "Save Grog".

I did like the use of a laser pen. This was to show where they wanted to move on the map, especially when in combat.

For next time, will Pike make her debut? Will Grog get saved?

Last edited by akersaotome; 08-01-2015 at 04:34 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-27-2015   #8
akersaotome

Thursday 26th March was part 3 of their adventure. Pike was absent but there is still hope for her debut. Big story was saving Grog from his intelligence rating of -2.

Critical Role Episode 3: Strange Bedfellows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpkCcb--r90

Highlights: saving Grog, Magic carpet, Tentacle monster. Scanlan highlights include: "I'm super brave and hung". Songs such as "Hey baby hey baby hey dwarf say dwarf say" and "When I get that feeling, I want Clarotta healing"

New hashtag: #SaveClarence

Last edited by akersaotome; 08-01-2015 at 04:34 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-03-2015   #9
akersaotome

Thursday 4th April was part 4 of their adventure. This time they have an ally named Clarotta and most importantly is the debut of Ashley Johnson and her character Pike. Laura Bailey wasn't present for most of it because she was filming with Wil Wheaton.

Critical Role Episode 4: Attack on the Duergar Warcamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGxiZNbjwGI (Q&A included)

This week's highlights:

Travis wears "Enjoy Grog" t-shirt, which can be bought here: http://www.redbubble.com/people/crow...s=12&p=t-shirt

Scanlan sings "I didn't see the Vax, cause he's so god (four letter begins with D) stealthy". Inspired from I saw the sign by Ace of Base.

Scanlan quote: "This is straight up Metal Gear"

Keyleth (Marisha Ray) transforms into a Rhinoceros. Because Dungeon Master Matthew didn't a Rhinoceros miniature he used a bear (Trinket). Now he needs to buy more miniatures of animals for Keyleth to be.

To provide inspiration for Pike, Scanlan sings a song to her whilst pelvic thrusting and plays guitar solo with a flute.

new hashtag: #Save Percy

Afterwards there was a Q&A with the people from Critical Role. Only subscribers were allowed to participate in the questioning. This Q&A covered how this all began and the story of Troll male genital.

Last edited by akersaotome; 08-01-2015 at 04:36 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-09-2015   #10
akersaotome

Geek & Sundry have released a link that has houses the previous episodes of Critical Role. Each episode has a description of the story so its easier to follow. This is a nice edition since navigating through twitch is rather a pain.

Here's the link: http://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/