Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 06-21-2015   #1
Domayv

Default Non-Union/FiCore alternatives to Union-Only VAs

I've noticed that a bunch of VAs that were largely active in anime dubs are no longer as active as they used to since the recession, largely because of union-related issues. That being said, non-union/ficore alternative eventually took over their roles. Here's a list:

[legend: union-only VA - non-union/ficore VA]

* Dave Wittenberg - Johnny Yong Bosch, Erik Kimerer, Orion Acaba, Sam Riegel
* Crispin Freeman - Keith Silverstein, Doug Erholtz
* Yuri Lowenthal - Bryce Papenbrook, Steve Staley, Jason C. Miller, Jason Wishnov
* Troy Baker - Matthew Mercer
* Steve Blum - Keith Silverstein
* Kari Wahlgren - Lauren Landa, Cristina Vee, Michelle Ruff
* Travis Willingham - Kaiji Tang, Matthew Mercer, Lex Lang
* Sandy Fox - Christine Marie Cabanos
* Bridget Hoffman - Erika Harlatcher
* Amanda Winn-Lee - Kira Buckland, Amanda Celine Miller
* Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (I head that she might have gone FiCore so this may no longer be the case) - Laura Post
Domayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015   #2
Nightmare Crusher

Default Re: Non-Union/FiCore alternatives to Union-Only VAs

If I may, Yuri Lowenthal, Travis Willingham and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn are far from being union only.

Anyway,

Fred Tatasciore - Patrick Seitz
Old 06-21-2015   #3
Autovolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
If I may, Yuri Lowenthal, Travis Willingham and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn are far from being union only.

Anyway,

Fred Tatasciore - Patrick Seitz
Fred Tatasciore's non union counterpart would more likely be Paul St. Peter.

Patrick Seitz is more like the guy to cast if Travis Willingham is unavailable.
Autovolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015   #4
Nightmare Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
Fred Tatasciore's non union counterpart would more likely be Paul St. Peter.

Patrick Seitz is more like the guy to cast if Travis Willingham is unavailable.
Nah, Paul St. Peter is too smooth sounding most of the time. Patrick Seitz sounds more like Travis, but he's probably the closest thing to Fred you can get.

I don't want to hijack the thread so I'm just gonna end this here, since we'd probably just be going back and forth.
Old 06-21-2015   #5
DisneyAnimefan1995

Post Re: Non-Union/FiCore alternatives to Union-Only VAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domayv View Post
I've noticed that a bunch of VAs that were largely active in anime dubs are no longer as active as they used to since the recession, largely because of union-related issues. That being said, non-union/ficore alternative eventually took over their roles. Here's a list:

[legend: union-only VA - non-union/ficore VA]

* Dave Wittenberg - Johnny Yong Bosch, Erik Kimerer, Orion Acaba, Sam Riegel
* Crispin Freeman - Keith Silverstein, Doug Erholtz, Marc Diraison
* Yuri Lowenthal - Bryce Papenbrook, Steve Staley, Jason C. Miller, Jason Wishnov, Lucien Dodge
* Troy Baker - Matthew Mercer
* Steve Blum - Keith Silverstein, Benjamin Diskin (on certain roles)
* Kari Wahlgren - Lauren Landa, Cristina Vee, Michelle Ruff
* Travis Willingham - Kaiji Tang, Matthew Mercer, Lex Lang, Patrick Seitz
* Sandy Fox (Ficore) - Christine Marie Cabanos
* Bridget Hoffman - Erika Harlatcher
* Amanda Winn-Lee - Kira Buckland, Amanda Celine Miller
* Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (I head that she might have gone FiCore so this may no longer be the case) - Laura Post
Very interesting list you created, though I do want to let you know that sometimes it is not just with Union only voice actors (e.g. Crispin Freeman, Steve Blum, Kari Wahlgren etc..), but also can apply with other Non-union/Ficore when the latter has other voiceover work in either Original Animation, Anime, or video games and some other Non-Union/ficore actor takes their place.

But anyway's back on topic, as far as the voice actors you put on the list here are some things I like to point out:

*Steve Blum: Besides Keith Silverstein being his successor, I have a feeling that Ben Diskin is another one of Steve Blum's successors. Now yes, before you say anything they don't have similar vocal ranges as Steve's voice is deeper and Ben's is normal range. Though I notice that on some of Ben's roles whether it is in Anime or in original animation He tends to bring his High-pitched Helium voice or gravely voice that seems reminiscent to Steve Blum's earlier roles (particulary in Digimon)

*Yuri Lowenthal: Besides the one's on the list, Lucien Dodge is another one of his successor's due to their similar vocal range and typecasting. Also I don't think Yuri is a Union VA, since he still does some non-union voice work in the video game side of things (e.g. Person 4 and Fire Emblem: Awakening)

*Travis Willingham: Besides the actors that you've have listed, Patrick Seitz is another one of his succesors due to their very similar vocal range and typecasting. Also while he hasn't been gainining new roles in anime in recent years (due to video games and some Western Animation) he still comes back to do anime from time to time, especially if its a role he previously portrayed before in a video game or anime.

*Sandy Fox: Same as Yuri Lowenthal above, While she hasn't gain any new roles in the past 2-3 years, Sandy Fox isn't considered Union, but ficore as she has done several non-union voice over work in video games such as Ar nosurge Ode to an Unborn Star/ and the Pac-Man Ghostly Adventures video games. Not to mention that she has already been cast as Sailor Chibi Moon / Chibiusa in the Viz dub of Sailor Moon and Eddelrittuo in Aldnoah.Zero.

Now besides the ones listed here, are some other Union actors (or Ficore actors depending on the VA) that have been filled in by other Non-Union/Ficore actors:

* Melissa Fahn - Cassandra Lee Morris
* Tara Platt (Still Ficore but could go in same route as her husband Yuri Lowenthal) - Carrie Keranen, Laura Post
* Sam Riegel - Max Mittelman, Robbie Daymond
* Brian Beacock - Todd Haberkorn, Benjamin Diskin
* Colleen O'Shaughnessey - Cassandra Lee Morris
* Carrie Savage - Kira Buckland
* Laura Bailey - Lauren Landa
* Kirk Thornton - David Vincent

Last edited by DisneyAnimefan1995; 12-01-2015 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Typo for Laura Post.
DisneyAnimefan1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015   #6
Domayv

Here's some more:

* Roger Craig Smith - Kaiji Tang
* Dave Wittenberg - Grant George
* Travis Willingham - Kyle Hebert

Last edited by Domayv; 06-21-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2015   #7
Jared Delgado

[QUOTE=Domayv;95640]

i think the true alternative to Crispin Freeman would be Marc Diraison, I mean, think about it, they have the same viciousness to their voice and the somewhat authoritive quality to it.
Jared Delgado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016   #8
huzaifa_ahmed
Banned

[QUOTE=Jared Delgado;95946]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domayv View Post

i think the true alternative to Crispin Freeman would be Marc Diraison, I mean, think about it, they have the same viciousness to their voice and the somewhat authoritive quality to it.

Travis Willingham=Kyle Hebert
Both are high baritones, as well, though I'm not sure if Marc is a lyric, like Crispin is.

Travis & Patrick have much greater timbres than Kyle.

Kyle Hebert IMO sounds like Jim Cummings, Jess Harnell, & Charlie Adler - relatively heavier, but decidedly generic-sounding.

Last edited by huzaifa_ahmed; 04-09-2016 at 01:52 PM.
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016   #9
Domayv

[QUOTE=huzaifa_ahmed;111151]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Delgado View Post

Both are high baritones, as well, though I'm not sure if Marc is a lyric, like Crispin is.

Travis & Patrick have much greater timbres than Kyle.

Kyle Hebert IMO sounds like Jim Cummings, Jess Harnell, & Charlie Adler - relatively heavier, but decidedly generic-sounding.
Marc is definitely deeper sounding than Freeman is
Old 04-30-2016   #10
huzaifa_ahmed
Banned

[QUOTE=Domayv;111247]
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa_ahmed View Post

Marc is definitely deeper sounding than Freeman is
Ah, right, but I hear comparison between them all the time, & so I was putting that out there.

For the record, I did this thread much more pointed than some of the other, similar threads. "Union/ficore alternatives" or at least "low-budget alternatives" seems much more conducive than "VAs that sound similar" or even "equivalents"

(I WOULD like to see a multi-language comparison thread, namely for Japanese-English, as well)

Also, Lauren Landa is much closer to Kari Wahlgren, who in turn, reminds me of Grey DeLisle (though I may be eyeballing this comparison.)

Kate Higgins - Hynden Walch I think

Colleen O'Shaughnessy & Cassandra Morris don't sound too similar. I believe Colleen is a soprano, as are Laura Bailey (the lightest one here) & Tara Strong, while CLM is up there with the likes of Cherami Leigh, Andrea Libman, & Sandy Fox.

(Plenty of VA's are trained singers, as well, & I think it a worthwhile endeavor to bring up the subject on their social media, rather than simply "eyeball precisely")

Max Mittelman - Ben Diskin (for REALLY low-budget stuff)

Keith Silverstein - Liam O'Brien

Matthew Mercer is the most talented (or at least most-used) alternative to the likes of Robin Atkin Downes, Nolan North, Trevor DeVall, & of course, Ed Baker, & even occasionally Crispin Freeman. All baritones, but pretty varied within that - he's got range.

Patrick Seitz is similar, for voices like that of John DiMaggio, Marc Worden (who could actually USE some anime dubbing), & now especially Travis Willingham & even David Lodge, sadly. When he's older, he may overtake Richard Epcar for best Clancy Brown replacement.

Neil Kaplan may also be a great sub for Clancy & David Lodge, as well as Corey Burton (& - RIP- Chris Lee).

I think Paul St.Peter/Fred Tatasciore has the lowest natural voice of all these guys, but I can't quite pinpoint Clancy's & Richard's weight, but Richard sounds like an older Matt/Troy, & Clancy an older Travis/Patrick.

I don't think we have a good sub for Steven Blum, quite frankly. Keith is too light & no gravel, & Ben is just too light.

& as far-fetched as it may sound...Tom Fahn - Tom Kenny.
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote