Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 08-07-2016   #1
Vocalracer14

Default Are Voice Actors taken for granted?

I wrote a blog about it https://misanakuya.wordpress.com/my-random-thoughts/

It seems more and more people just don't appreciate the skills that it takes to be a voice actor. They think that it's "easy" and not as "important" as on camera acting. This is just due to ignorance of course.

But do voice actors get their due? Maybe if there was an Academy Award for best voice actor. But even then, celebs would be the only ones nominated.
Vocalracer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016   #2
Jared Delgado

Smile Re: Are Voice Actors taken for granted?

I know, right? Japan has high respect for any form of art and talent. In fact, they made this series "Ore ga no Seiyuu" (maybe I forgot the title) and the funny this about the series is that every now and then you will have a character being their respective seiyuu (Yui Horie, Hiroshi Kamiya, Banjo Ginja, Masako Nozawa, Yukari Tamura, Rikiya Koyama, to name a few). The U.S. have voice-over documentaries, and seeing that show made me want for the U.S. to make a similar series giving a characters be their respective voice actor. That would be beautiful. But seriously, voice actors deserve their own rewards and I agree with you.
Jared Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016   #3
Michaelsar

Default Re: Are Voice Actors taken for granted?

Considering how some companies are willing to replace them for usually pretty petty reasons (Phil Harris and Paul Winchell can vouch for that) and won't allow them to voice major characters in big budget animated movies (because a film MUST have an all-celebrity cast to be successful, right?), I'm guessing they are taken for granted at least a little.

Last edited by Michaelsar; 08-07-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Michaelsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #4
huzaifa_ahmed
Banned

Default Re: Are Voice Actors taken for granted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelsar View Post
Considering how some companies are willing to replace them for usually pretty petty reasons (Phil Harris and Paul Winchell can vouch for that) and won't allow them to voice major characters in big budget animated movies (because a film MUST have an all-celebrity cast to be successful, right?), I'm guessing they are taken for granted at least a little.
I'm not sure if you like non-Hollywood animation, but I will say that at least, there's a little bit of "VO actors in big films" for stuff they produce themselves.

(JAT & most of Ratchet & Clank are in their movie. Tara Strong & Frank Welker're in several films.)

& although the sample size is smaller, I'll say that I have never seen a dubbing actor get to reprise in a live-action or CGI adaptation of (brace for it) anime.

* Astro Boy was voiced in the CGI film by, neither Mona Marshall, nor her "A-list" 2003 replacement Candi Milo...but by Freddie Highmore, of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.

* Ryuk the Shinigami will be voiced in the live-action film by Willem Dafoe, for some odd reason, despite people loving Brian Drummond's performance (& he's kinda famous too, "Over 9000", anyone?) lol

* What this means to me is that Hollywood cartoon actors are at least more respected than dubbing actors, despite things like Naruto, Pokemon, & Dragon Ball being a staple of Cartoon Network for several years they were airing.
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote