Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > General Topics > General Chat

General Chat Introduce yourself or just talk about something not related to our site topics here.

Old 04-03-2013   #1
VctrBnsn

Default What Got You Interested In Voice Actors?

I'm hear to ask anyone on this site what got them interested in voice actors and the voice acting community. It started for me when I was little and started noticing a lot of the same voices in the many cartoons I watched. I started recognizing these guys in particular, even if I didn't know who they were : Cree Summer, Jeff Bennett, E.G. Daily, Patrick Warburton, Nicholle Sullivan, Pamela Adlon, Jim Cummings, Maurice LaMarche, Rob Paulsen, Tress MacNeille, Kath Soucie, Grey DeLisle, Tom Kane, Doug Lawrence, Dee Bradley Baker, Tara Strong, Jason Marsden, Will Friedle, Kevin Michael Richardson.

Then, a few years later, in 2008, I started getting into superheroes after watching Iron Man. I started looking up certain superhero cartoons online, like Wolverine and the X-Men, Spectacular Spider-Man, and Batman The Brave And The Bold. Then I noticed the cast lists on those sites. I looked up who they were, and found out how many of these people I've heard in cartoons growing up. I started looking up all the cartoons and superhero shows I saw growing up and those that were currently airing, and saw a lot of the same names coming up. I was super excited. So from that moment on, I became a VA fanatic.

Then I started wondering if there was a place online for people like me. Then I found it. Behind The Voice Actors. Thanks so much for making this site. It's literally a dream come true.
VctrBnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #2
Blair

Default Re: What Got You Interested In Voice Actors?

For me, it was all curiosity with my head filled with questions, but the Internet didn't become popular until I was going into college, so as a kid I had to just stay curious without knowing any real answers.

For example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VctrBnsn View Post
It started for me when I was little and started noticing a lot of the same voices in the many cartoons I watched.
This wasn't the first reason I got interested, but that was a big factor for me as well. It confused me even as a six year old why the same people would be doing voices that sounded exactly the same in different shows that were all popular at the same time. The cartoons could even be playing back to back. In contrast, it was a long time before I learned that Mel Blanc (though I didn't know his name) was doing so many different voices because he mixed them up so well.

It also seemed strange to me that cartoons would have the same adults doing a poor job at voices for kids just by raising the pitch of their voices a little. It sounded stupid making me wonder why they never asked any kids to play the parts.

As for the first reason, though, I have been making sound effects and [minimally] imitating voices since I was five or six years old. It's no surprise that it still interests me today.
Old 04-16-2013   #3
PsychicVoiceSpy

I guess it all started for me when I began watching Dragon Ball Z. I remember that the first time I really took a look at it was when I was playing Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and looked at the cast list and saw how many characters were played by Christopher Sabat. Funny thing is, I read stories like yours very often about how you would watch a lot of cartoons, started picking out the ones you had heard before, etc. For me though, I wasn't that quick in learning.

When I started buying Dragon Ball Z movie DVDs I came across the trailer for Fullmetal Alchemist and I got hooked on that as well. I started watching several shows from FUNimation and I would see the cast lists, I would look up the actors, and things really just took off from there. Now, I am pretty good at picking out voices I've heard before. I can pick out Mark Hamill or Jim Cummings, Kevin Michael Richardson and many others almost as soon as I hear them. Even when they do a good job at varying their voice and performances I can still usually recognize them.

I've been a voice nerd since around the same time you have! 2008 was when I started looking into the cast lists and stuff, but it was probably 2009 when my interest in the art really started growing... the thing is, I'm actually a little too lazy to even watch new cartoons or anime nowadays, but I still love the stuff when it catches my interest!

This art and the artists behind it are an inspiration to me now, possibly something I could see myself doing in the future... although probably not for a full-time job. Who knows!
PsychicVoiceSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #4
VctrBnsn

I live in Fort Worth, so FUNimation may be my best chance to work with VA's. But my real dream is to go to California and work with the likes of Rob Paulsen, Tom Kenny, Steven Blum and the like. Nothing against FUNimation, Ocean Group, or 4Kids VAs, I just grew up listening mostly to the California based guys.
Old 04-17-2013   #5
thomwim

I became interested in voice acting after sticking around for the credits of whatever I was watching.
Old 04-18-2013   #6
PsychicVoiceSpy

I'm from Texas too, but I don't live as close to FUNimation, and I agree, I prefer California's talent pool overall. It's cool how many things we have in common!
Old 04-18-2013   #7
VctrBnsn

You know whats crazy, I live in Fort Worth, yet I've only gone to Dallas once. I wouldn't even know were FUNinmation is located. It was only a few years ago when I realized such a major VA studio was based close to home, yet I've never seen it. Crazy
Old 04-19-2013   #8
VctrBnsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychicVoiceSpy View Post
I'm from Texas too, but I don't live as close to FUNimation, and I agree, I prefer California's talent pool overall. It's cool how many things we have in common!
Wow, we do have a lot in common. We even joined this site at about the same time .
Old 04-19-2013   #9
PsychicVoiceSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VctrBnsn View Post
Wow, we do have a lot in common. We even joined this site at about the same time .
Not only that, but we're both the same age...
Old 04-19-2013   #10
VctrBnsn

I'm scared.....