Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Anime

Anime Discuss everything in the world of Anime here.

View Poll Results: Do you think the Anime English Dub industry should pay more attention to older anime?
Definitely! A lot of older anime should get new dubs. 24 53.33%
Only certain known anime should get a redub/new dub. 15 33.33%
No to new dubs, but yes to more rereleases. 5 11.11%
No, lets face it the industry has the right idea. 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2014   #1
Pokejedservo

Default Should the Anime Dub industry give more attention to older anime?

Over the course of the 2000s (and to an extent the 90s) plenty of anime have been given English dubs. While there were plenty of times when a (at the time recent) anime would get an english dub shortly after the anime came out in Japan. But at the time there have also been plenty of times where an Anime English dub was made for anime that is about 5 years older or for an anime made about 10 years ago (and in some cases about 20 years ago if not more). But ever since the late 2000s this seemed to have changed as anime dub companies seem to be trying to avoid older anime like the plague.

Some claim that its because certain older anime got terrible ratings and were cancelled on Cartoon Network. Others claim that the anime industry is getting smaller in recent years due to older companies falling like Geneon and Bandai and the like. While some may say that older anime is just too niche for the industry nowadays. But whatever the reason is the industry seems to be ignoring older anime for the most part. After all notice on how when it comes to newer dubs of older anime seems to be rather few. I mean the only ones I know of offhand are Seraphim Digital's redub of Grave of the Fireflies and FUNi's redub of the first Dragonaball Movie and the Yu Yu Hakusho movie the Golden Seal.

But in all fairness the situation regarding rereleasing older anime dubs and the like are better but not by much. The biggest supporter regarding getting older anime released is Discotek Media but their releases have been pretty low-key so far and getting their DVDs seems to be the only way to get access to their material. Out of all the dub companies that are still around FUNimation seems to be making the most effort in getting older anime rereleased even if its mostly out of their "license rescuing" (like what they did for Bandai after their English Dub branch closed recently). But to be fair FUNi did do a decent amount of advertising for certain releases such as the earlier dub episodes of Dragon Ball Z and the Tenchi Muyo dubs but most of them are only on DVD. (But to be fair there are certain exceptions like Trigun, Tenchi Muyo GXP and the like that are available in sites like Netflix.)

However I am aware that there is a very real possibility that even if the Dub company is still alive they don't have the license for certain anime features so they can't release their old dubs even if they want to. That seems to be the case for Viz on how Discotek is releasing their old dubs of Galaxy Express 999 and the Fatal Fury Anime Movie. (I also have heard that Viz lost the license for Monster recently as well.) So that is also a potential issue to consider as well. But what do you folks think? Personally I do believe the anime dub industry can certainly benefit by giving older anime more exposure. Whether its to give older anime new dubs or give older anime english dubs a lot more exposure (or both). Besides in recent years the anime industry has grown a bit smaller and more unstable so can companies really afford to be picky with what anime they release? Yes there maybe plenty of older anime that might be too niche to sell but I do believe that there are still older anime that can still find a good audience today.
Pokejedservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #2
Fulgore2005

Post Re: Should the Anime Dub industry give more attention to older anime?

Yes, I really think that the industry should give more love to the older titles.

I know of works like the Sakura Wars anime (original and Ecole de Paris) and the original Fist of the North Star having very little exposure.

I wouldn't mind if some of the lesser known older anime got redubs or at least get relicensed. I'm sure that they can still appeal to anime viewers now if given the chance.

Fulgore2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #3
PacoSlimee

Default Re: Should the Anime Dub industry give more attention to older anime?

I'm more inclined to believe the reason most companies don't dub older anime, is because (at least to them) there isn't enough time. If licensing anime is anything like other forms of producing, I imagine there is a constant bidding war for properties. Meaning as new properties are released, the companies want dibs. If one were to go back to older properties they run the risk of losing others. Which means a potential loss of money. Sure, the older anime could bring in revenue, but most companies are going to play it safe and go for the more likely profit.
PacoSlimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #4
Skullgrin140

As a fan of older anime I would love the current anime dubbing companies to give it some consideration, only of Anime that has not been dubbed into English like Gunbuster being the biggest example. Abit more exposure to a wider audience as well as access to actual copies of the new releases of old Anime with a brand new English dub always helps I feel.

This is something I've wanted to see happen for a while because I feel like there are some fantastic titles that never got a chance to be localized for the English language, it's thanks to companies like Discotek media that we are seeing releases of old titles we never thought would ever see the light of day. So why not?

Back when Funimation were doing things like Dragonball & Yu Yu Hakusho I feel like they were at the top of their game, they should really consider the older stuff aside from the new rather than just limit themselves to current titles.
Skullgrin140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #5
PurpleWarrior13

They just don't bring in as much profit, they don't sell as well, and some can't be dubbed at all due to the right materials not being available. It's very unfortunate, but it's the reality. I'm not very picky with anime dubs, and I kinda like the old rusty sound that 80s/90s voice acting had (which even carried over to some American toons), so I'd be okay if the dubs were done on the cheap. It's better than nothing. I think that method worked with ADV for Saint Seiya, which purposefully sounded like it was dubbed in the 80s, same with Megazone 23 and Gatchaman. I would prefer anime get dubbed into English, but I acknowledge that it can't happen for every show. I'm a huge fan of Dirty Pair, and I'm just glad we got that show over here at all, even with only subtitles.

With that said, the handful of anime I do watch are mostly from the 80s/90s. The shows themselves IMO are so much better than the newer stuff, and they just appeal more to my taste, so it would be nice to see some more of it brought over here.
PurpleWarrior13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #6
Autovolt

It would be cool if they did.

Even though I never watched the show, I'm amazed neither FUNimation nor Ocean ever bothered to pick up either series of Dr. Slump, especially considering it's the sister series of the Dragonball Franchise.

It seemed so obvious to do so.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #7
PurpleWarrior13

Dr. Slump is almost as long as DBZ with about 250 episodes, and even older. It's also very comedic with pretty much no action, and I don't think it's style really translates. I'm not surprised the anime has never been big here. We're lucky we got all the manga.

Harmony Gold did dub the pilot in the late 80s, and it was a good effort, but it just didn't work out perfectly. Meredith McCoy and Brina Palencia have both done good jobs as Arale for FUNi though. Discotek does have the first 5 movies, but they're releasing them sub-only.

(BTW Ocean isn't a licensing company. They're just a studio contracted to record anime dubs, but I think they would have done a decent job with Dr. Slump had they been given the chance)
Old 04-22-2014   #8
Skullgrin140

Come to think of it I suppose somewhere in this the Macross franchise kind of falls into this problem when you look at it, Since Harmony Gold have Robotech thus have all the rights to the property of the Macross Franchise it shows why we have not had any dubs of any of the Macross series after SDF when it was done by ADV.

It's frustrating when you think about it seeing as Harmony Gold have virtually got no leg to stand on anymore thus they can't really continue Robotech without some kind of new material from overseas.

I could be wrong but that's one of many examples.
Old 04-22-2014   #9
PurpleWarrior13

Macross is in legal hell because of Harmony Gold, but HG is not allowed to do anything with the Macross characters, explaining why all the recent media is adapted from The Next Generation. I love Robotech, but I can understand how it's frustrating to Macross fans.
Old 04-22-2014   #10
Skullgrin140

That explains why Robotech has not even so much as budged an inch since Shadow Chronicles due to the fact of everyone wanting to see the cast basically from the SDF Macross series come back but not being allowed to due to rights constraints.

If anything Harmony Gold really should just close their doors because if they are not going to do anything with shows they have been using since 1985 then it really feels all the better for them to let go of the rights to the Macross franchise and let the series be dubbed by whoever quite frankly.