Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Anime

Anime Discuss everything in the world of Anime here.

Old 02-20-2014   #11
PacoSlimee

Default Re: Gundam

I like most of the Universal Century shows, with my favorites being the Original, Zeta, 08th MS Team, and 0080 War in the Pocket. I'm currently watching 0083. I initially liked Destiny more than Seed, but upon more viewings that opinion has done a complete 180. I watched Wing years ago, but can't remember much about it. I got a few episodes into 00, and normally I can stomach brutality, but the wedding scene made me stop watching it. G Gundam's always been a favorite of mine, just due to how over the top it is. If I had to pick my favorite dub, I'd pick 08th MS Team. As the voices fit everyone perfectly, and while some of the acting was corny I still enjoyed it. And my least favorite dub being the Movie dub of the original.
PacoSlimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #12
UltimateSSJ4GokouEX

Out of all the Gundam Series Iv'e seen by far. Mobile Fighter G Gundam was my favorite because I enjoyed Mark Gatha's performance as Domon Kasshu and man I got a kick out of his performance.
UltimateSSJ4GokouEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #13
Autovolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akersaotome View Post
I like the Vancouver talent pool too as I also like the some of the voice acting talent in L.A, Dallas and Houston. As for Ocean Studios, they do other stuff too besides dubbing international products like anime, such as prelay for North American made animation.

As for Janyse Jaud, I hear her as more of a captain of the ship. Can't always be Lisa Ann Beley as the captain.

Returning to Gundam, I'd like to call Brad Swaile "Prince Gundam" since he's been in several Gundam series as regular characters. Played as Amuro Ray of Mobile Suit Gundam, Quatre Raberba Winner of Gundam Wing, Dearka Elsman of Gundam Seed, Auel Neider of Gundam Seed Destiny; and Setsuna F. Seiei of Gundam 00.
Agreed. I wouldn't mind hearing Jaynse Jaud as a captain role, as much as I love Lisa Ann Beley (especially as Sumeragi in 00) i'd like to see her play a different character archetype the next time they handle a Gundam show, it through me in for a loop when i found out she voiced Relena in Wing.

Brad Swaile IS Gundam. Even though I love his Setsuna, i keep laying awake at night wondering what if he voiced Ribbons instead, it would have been perfect since he voiced Amuro in the original series dub much like Toru Furuya, and is no stranger to magnificent bastards villians like Light Yagami.

I wish David Kaye had been cast in another Gundam show, he was masterful as Trieze Khushrenada in Wing. I totally could have seen him voicing Bright Noa or even Ribbons.

If anyone picks up the Gundam license for in English I'd rather it not be FUNimation or Sentai Filmworks because we will never see another Gundam dub in Canada again.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #14
akersaotome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
Brad Swaile IS Gundam. Even though I love his Setsuna, i keep laying awake at night wondering what if he voiced Ribbons instead, it would have been perfect since he voiced Amuro in the original series dub much like Toru Furuya, and is no stranger to magnificent bastards villians like Light Yagami.
Don't forget one of Brad's favourite bastard characters in a form of Ace from My Little Pony Tales. Swaile tells the story of how Bandai really didn't want him to be in more Gundam titles. Brad had to plead with the peeps to audition for Gundam Seed and he landed the roles. For Gundam 00, Bandai really didn't want Swaile in this title. Unfortunately for them, he was the best choice for Setsuna Seiei and landed the part as the lead. In a way he managed to graduate from playing the violin playing pacifist, to "I am a Gundam".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
If anyone picks up the Gundam license for in English I'd rather it not be FUNimation or Sentai Filmworks because we will never see another Gundam dub in Canada again.
Funimation and Sentai Filmworks have allowed other studios to record on their licensed properties. Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail from Funimation and Persona 4 The Animation from Sentai Filmworks are some examples. Roberta's Blood Trail was significant because Black Lagoon series was recorded at Ocean Studios. Funimation could have easily in-house recorded Roberta's Blood Trail, but they managed to work out a deal with a studio outside the U.S. In truth, Black Lagoon is a rescued property when the Geneon folded, so continuity with the English cast for Roberta's Blood Trail was a popular decision. However, inversely with Shakugan no Shana it wasn't the case. The info for that can be found on this website.

With future Gundam titles that could be licensed by any of the known companies, anything is possible and maybe Brad Swaile can add more Gundams to his credits.
akersaotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #15
NikkolasKing

I'm really enjoying Matt Hill as Kira. I think he'd be good in any future Gundam dubs by Ocean.

not sure who he could play in a hypothetical Gundam: The Origin dub though. (if you didn't know, this is a re-imagining of the original MSG anime but like a billion times better. It's a good story with good characters and executes the premise better)
NikkolasKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #16
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Matt Hill may have voiced Ortega from the Black Tri-Stars at some point. His nephew Sampson did once.
Old 02-21-2014   #17
Autovolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akersaotome View Post
Don't forget one of Brad's favourite bastard characters in a form of Ace from My Little Pony Tales. Swaile tells the story of how Bandai really didn't want him to be in more Gundam titles. Brad had to plead with the peeps to audition for Gundam Seed and he landed the roles. For Gundam 00, Bandai really didn't want Swaile in this title. Unfortunately for them, he was the best choice for Setsuna Seiei and landed the part as the lead. In a way he managed to graduate from playing the violin playing pacifist, to "I am a Gundam".

Funimation and Sentai Filmworks have allowed other studios to record on their licensed properties. Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail from Funimation and Persona 4 The Animation from Sentai Filmworks are some examples. Roberta's Blood Trail was significant because Black Lagoon series was recorded at Ocean Studios. Funimation could have easily in-house recorded Roberta's Blood Trail, but they managed to work out a deal with a studio outside the U.S. In truth, Black Lagoon is a rescued property when the Geneon folded, so continuity with the English cast for Roberta's Blood Trail was a popular decision. However, inversely with Shakugan no Shana it wasn't the case. The info for that can be found on this website.

With future Gundam titles that could be licensed by any of the known companies, anything is possible and maybe Brad Swaile can add more Gundams to his credits.
They didn't want Brad Swaile in Gundam 00. wow.....I'm glad they changed their minds on that, he nailed Setsuna.

I am aware of that but that's probably just a one time deal, I don't see FUNi doing anything similar to Roberta's Blood Trail again and that worries me.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #18
Damolisher

I hope like hell if Funi gets the licence for Gundam, they allow them to keep dubbing Gundam in Canada. Gundam just doesn't feel like Gundam to me without Ocean Group.
Damolisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #19
akersaotome

Lets hope that more Gundam series get made, licensed and sent to Canada for english audio.
akersaotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #20
PacoSlimee

Well not every Gundam series has been a Canadian dub. With 08th MS Team, Stardust Memory, War in the Pocket, and F91 being LA based. I woudn't mind seeing them getting more dubs. But really I'd like more in general.
PacoSlimee is offline   Reply With Quote