Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training

Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training A place for aspiring voice over talents to exchange tips and ideas, share stories, post demo and recording samples, and other training sources.

Old 10-23-2011   #1
Sarge Ray

Default Diet?

I have acquired a taste for green apples before I do voicework. Reason being that, because they're so tart, they tense your mouth and lower salivation. Thus, the mic won't pick up smacking lips, swallowing saliva, or rolling tongues.

What other eats/drinks can help affect your voicework? In what way?
Sarge Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011   #2
SCP21

Default Re: Diet?

I hear teas are good for your throat. And caffeine, sugars and so on are bad for the vocal cords as they dry them out.

Contact Details:
Twitter: SCP21 | Skype: CyberMegatron
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/scp21
SCP21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #3
Sarge Ray

I dunno, I also read that tea has tannic acid in it. That irritates the vocal chords, so that myth has been busted.

Any other suggestions?
Sarge Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #4
Hendercrazy

Interesting idea with the apples. Never really thought about things like this too much.

I'm always drinking Pepsi on the rocks when I'm recording! Especially when I'm doing villains!
Hendercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #5
OptimusSolo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge Ray View Post
I have acquired a taste for green apples
You say that like Green Apples is a rare food or something haha - most people find them pretty basic and dont have the need to 'acquire' a taste for them - sorry just had to comment on that
OptimusSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #6
SierraVO

I used to not be able to stand green apples. But now that's I've been eating them during recording (not while I'm recording a haha) I've gotten pretty fond of em'.

I usually just drink water. Sometimes I drink iced tea, but never anything too cold since it makes your voice sound kind of weak.
Old 01-01-2014   #7
Nitrofire

I'll add my two cents here... A vocal coach I once knew (for singing, but the same ideas apply) said to avoid Hot or cold drinks within a few hours of recording. Cold causes vocal cord constriction, which, as @SierraVO mentioned causes a weakened sound. Hot does the opposite, and you also have to be careful about minor throat burns.

Also nothing carbonated, so you can avoid air bubbles in an otherwise perfect recording. Dairy or lactose are a big no-no (wish I would've that a looooong time ago :P), as they cause a nasty phlegm coating on your throat.
Room temperature water is a great option, and your voice will sound better if you're well hydrated. also, i'll have to try the whole green apples thing... never heard of that before! :D
Nitrofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014   #8
SierraVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofire View Post
I'll add my two cents here... A vocal coach I once knew (for singing, but the same ideas apply) said to avoid Hot or cold drinks within a few hours of recording. Cold causes vocal cord constriction, which, as @SierraVO mentioned causes a weakened sound. Hot does the opposite, and you also have to be careful about minor throat burns.

Also nothing carbonated, so you can avoid air bubbles in an otherwise perfect recording. Dairy or lactose are a big no-no (wish I would've that a looooong time ago ), as they cause a nasty phlegm coating on your throat.
Room temperature water is a great option, and your voice will sound better if you're well hydrated. also, i'll have to try the whole green apples thing... never heard of that before!
Green apples work like magic! They get rid of that annoying spitty noise when recording
Old 02-14-2014   #9
Devin Graves

Send a message via AIM to Devin Graves

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP21 View Post
I hear teas are good for your throat. And caffeine, sugars and so on are bad for the vocal cords as they dry them out.
Well, tea is used as a beverage to help dry your throat and mouth a bit (if needed), similar to how the green apples work for Ray and Sierra. The idea for most people is to be hydrated so that your vocal cords have a thin film to help it vibrate, but not so much that it dampens or alters the sounds. For some people, or in cases when you have too much saliva, you drink things (ideally) before recording, such as lightly sweetened tea. I like it warm to help soothe the throat as well. Light foods that don't cause mucus are also good, like that apple thing mentioned, since it's not only tart, but has a fair amount of sugar in it, which helps prevent excess moisture in your mouth and throat.

I think it should be noted that milk isn't necessarily bad or evil for your throat. There are certain singers and voices that prefer to have some mucus on their throat (via milk), to give more body and weight into their voice, most of them to enhance their baritone voice. For everyone else, they're typically not used to having the mucus on their throat, or don't want their pitch altered, so coaches just tell you not to have milk (and other stuff that causes mucus) like it's devil's drink. Also, if you're playing someone sick, the mucus from milk can mimic the effect of phlegm and help drop your pitch, which'll help in doing a hoarse voice.
Devin Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #10
JLowther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge Ray View Post
I have acquired a taste for green apples before I do voicework. Reason being that, because they're so tart, they tense your mouth and lower salivation. Thus, the mic won't pick up smacking lips, swallowing saliva, or rolling tongues.

What other eats/drinks can help affect your voicework? In what way?
Gonna have to try green apples as I'm a frequent victim of saliva noises...
JLowther is offline   Reply With Quote