Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > TV Discussion

TV Discussion Chat about your favorite shows and series here.

Old 08-30-2013   #41
pokemastanumba1

Default Re: Pokemon Black & White

All the flashbacks in the episode where Charizard returns are indeed from older episodes (back when 4Kids was still dubbing the show), but I'm pretty sure that they still had to have newly-recorded dialogue, since they were completely redone to match the animation and art style of Black & White.

Speaking of the BW series, it's already almost over, particularly with X & Y coming out in less than two months. I was hoping they'd get Ash to challenge the Gen IV Battle Frontier in Johto (like they did with the Gen III BF in Kanto), but it seems like that most likely won't ever happen.
Old 08-30-2013   #42
OldSchoolFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemastanumba1 View Post
All the flashbacks in the episode where Charizard returns are indeed from older episodes (back when 4Kids was still dubbing the show), but I'm pretty sure that they still had to have newly-recorded dialogue, since they were completely redone to match the animation and art style of Black & White.

Speaking of the BW series, it's already almost over, particularly with X & Y coming out in less than two months. I was hoping they'd get Ash to challenge the Gen IV Battle Frontier in Johto (like they did with the Gen III BF in Kanto), but it seems like that most likely won't ever happen.
Correct. They're all from flashbacks in the 4Kids dub, but like you said the whole animation was redone itself. However, they could've kept the 4Kids dub dialogue (DuArt has access to the 4Kids dub episodes hence where the stock footage for Pokemon voices comes from), but I guess they wanted to be consistent with their own actors (for what it's worth, I guess it makes sense).

For me, it's probably my least favorite BW episode to tell ya the truth, at least in the English dub. It...hurt to see those old scenes re-dubbed...almost like they attempted to unintentionally wipe out the 4Kids dub like that. Oh well, just gotta get used to this cast being the characters in all forms now, I guess.

Don't see why Cathcart is still Professor Oak, but I guess TPCi just wants to be consistent with their dub. Sucks, but it's their call, and it makes sense to a degree.

Last edited by OldSchoolFTW; 08-30-2013 at 03:27 PM.
OldSchoolFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #43
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolFTW View Post
Correct. They're all from flashbacks in the 4Kids dub, but like you said the whole animation was redone itself. However, they could've kept the 4Kids dub dialogue (DuArt has access to the 4Kids dub episodes hence where the stock footage for Pokemon voices comes from), but I guess they wanted to be consistent with their own actors (for what it's worth, I guess it makes sense).

For me, it's probably my least favorite BW episode to tell ya the truth, at least in the English dub. It...hurt to see those old scenes re-dubbed...almost like they attempted to unintentionally wipe out the 4Kids dub like that. Oh well, just gotta get used to this cast being the characters in all forms now, I guess.

Don't see why Cathcart is still Professor Oak, but I guess TPCi just wants to be consistent with their dub. Sucks, but it's their call, and it makes sense to a degree.
I'm gonna watch the original Charmander episode again and then see if Eric says "What do you want Damian"? That line definitely sounded more like him than Bill unless Bill just sounded really good there. I'm also going to ask Bill on Facebook.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #44
SupremeTarantulas

Found a scene and no that wasn't said in the episode. I still think it sounds closer to Eric than Bill though.
Old 08-31-2013   #45
SupremeTarantulas

Ok yes it was said in the episode but Bill dubbed it over. It sounds like Eric but it's said faster than the way he originally dubbed it.
Old 09-11-2013   #46
pokemastanumba1

I actually thought that the BW series was good until the Unova League, and while I was originally excited about the events afterward, it does feel very rushed, like they couldn't wait for the series to be over. Yes I know that X & Y is coming out next month, but they're practically dumping new episodes left and right just to get to marketing the new stuff much sooner; heck, they've already leaked a lot of trailers, previews, changes and such about X & Y when the last BW episode is still over two weeks away.

WARNING: Spoilers ahead.

I find it completely ironic how Team Rocket has gotten much more development than Team Plasma, it seems like how latter was written was totally phoned-in. For starters, TP didn't appear until AFTER the League was already finished. The technology they used to manipulate Pokémon was cool, but it's something that's been done several times before. Heck, Ghetsis was arrested in the very end! I mean, even though I didn't care for the DP series as a whole, they at least gave Team Galactic a decent amount of screentime and much more dramatic build-up until the climax of their plot.

If anything, Team Plasma's influence in the anime is a lot more comparable to Pokémon Hunter J than other villainous teams.
Old 10-04-2013   #47
SupremeTarantulas

Thoughts on Origins? I liked the way it sounds and will check out the English version when/if it exists? It appears it won't be an anime though. I don't like that it seems to be skipping most Gym Battles besides Brock and Giovanni. I welcome a reboot or fresh installment in the franchise that focuses more in the games but this isn't it.
Old 10-05-2013   #48
OldSchoolFTW

Quote:
I actually thought that the BW series was good until the Unova League, and while I was originally excited about the events afterward, it does feel very rushed, like they couldn't wait for the series to be over. Yes I know that X & Y is coming out next month, but they're practically dumping new episodes left and right just to get to marketing the new stuff much sooner; heck, they've already leaked a lot of trailers, previews, changes and such about X & Y when the last BW episode is still over two weeks away.

WARNING: Spoilers ahead.

I find it completely ironic how Team Rocket has gotten much more development than Team Plasma, it seems like how latter was written was totally phoned-in. For starters, TP didn't appear until AFTER the League was already finished. The technology they used to manipulate Pokémon was cool, but it's something that's been done several times before. Heck, Ghetsis was arrested in the very end! I mean, even though I didn't care for the DP series as a whole, they at least gave Team Galactic a decent amount of screentime and much more dramatic build-up until the climax of their plot.

If anything, Team Plasma's influence in the anime is a lot more comparable to Pokémon Hunter J than other villainous teams.
Agreed about BW, but I feel like Team Rocket have actually regressed this season. The only time I saw some actual development was when they were serious for a while in the first 25 episodes of Unova. They're really going back to the way they were in Sinnoh: overly funny to the point where they're not really funny, you know?

Oh, and I couldn't agree more: these last few episodes have been very rushed, to say the least. I assume they're basically filler, until Ash returns home, says his goodbyes to Delia and Prof Oak, until the Kalos Arc starts. There's a sneak preview on October 19th of the first two episodes (kind of like how AG had a sneak preview back in '03 on Kids WB!) if you're interested.
OldSchoolFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013   #49
pokemastanumba1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolFTW View Post
Agreed about BW, but I feel like Team Rocket have actually regressed this season. The only time I saw some actual development was when they were serious for a while in the first 25 episodes of Unova. They're really going back to the way they were in Sinnoh: overly funny to the point where they're not really funny, you know?

Oh, and I couldn't agree more: these last few episodes have been very rushed, to say the least. I assume they're basically filler, until Ash returns home, says his goodbyes to Delia and Prof Oak, until the Kalos Arc starts. There's a sneak preview on October 19th of the first two episodes (kind of like how AG had a sneak preview back in '03 on Kids WB!) if you're interested.
I'm surprised they didn't take the opportunity to visit the Sinnoh/Johto Battle Frontier from the Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver Versions, I thought it'd be a much better way to provide more closure for Generation IV as a whole. BW still has had a solid run though, and I'll see how XY will turn out (even if the anime really loses steam, we still have the games to enjoy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Thoughts on Origins? I liked the way it sounds and will check out the English version when/if it exists? It appears it won't be an anime though. I don't like that it seems to be skipping most Gym Battles besides Brock and Giovanni. I welcome a reboot or fresh installment in the franchise that focuses more in the games but this isn't it.
The English dub will air on TPCi's website starting November 15th. Though, there's only four parts; it won't be a full series.
Old 07-27-2014   #50
Savate
Banned

This was a return to form for the Pokémon Series after DP pretty much ruined it apart from Ash's regression as a trainer...it may not be as good as the OS and AG were, but it's certainly much better than the current XY Series or the DP Series were, IMO.

The TPCi dub was probably at its most bearable in this arc as well: shame the dub seems to have hit a new low in XY in voice acting and script writing quality, though, and regressed from how it was in the BW Era (I really thought Michele Knotz got her act together as Jessie and Carter was alright as James again, though things seem to have taken a huge turn for the worse in XY in both their cases). I would've liked BW more if 4Kids still dubbed it and the OG English cast got to stick around over the years, though, but that's something that will and can never happen, sadly.
Savate is offline   Reply With Quote