Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Anime

Anime Discuss everything in the world of Anime here.

Old 11-05-2017   #451
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Default Re: Dragon Ball Super: Bang Zoom Dub Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty404 View Post
No seriously, why does the lines cut out yet the OST keep playing in the most recent eps? It happened with Whis in 16 and Vegeta in 18. Someone really needs to get fired.
The sound mixing in this dub has been inexcusable. Pointless volume shifts, screams that you can barely hear, lines cutting out.

THIS

I don't understand how this passes.
Old 11-06-2017   #452
ConfusedPhantom

The script is still hit and miss and the sound mixing is really bad. Some lines were even cut all together.

Kaiji Tang really improved. His Vegeta sounds much more smoother. Lex Lang, though, is still using too much of his higher tones, it sounds kind of repetitive. Though, there's instances in 18 where he tried to mix it up and he's getting better at battle scenes, even his Kenshiro yells started working now that he's using it in certain places.

Doug Erholtz's Whis is great. Tamara Ryan is still too normal as 18, but as Vados, she's great. And Kirk Thornton as Champa sounds fantastic. I think I prefer him over Jason Liebrecht. Brian Beacock is great as Krillin, though not sure what they were thinking with the Oracle Fish. Sean Chiplock as Trunks has left a good impression on that one line. Tagoma and Shishimi works. Paul St. Peter as Sorbet is good. Gohan and Piccolo are great.

Derek Stephen Prince was directed all wrong though. They favored really over-the-top deliveries and solely that. He need to do more relaxed reads. The voice is right though

Last edited by ConfusedPhantom; 11-06-2017 at 11:24 AM.
ConfusedPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017   #453
NitroEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
The sound mixing in this dub has been inexcusable. Pointless volume shifts, screams that you can barely hear, lines cutting out.

THIS

I don't understand how this passes.
I'm glad I'm not the one noticing. To think that someone is being paid to make these kind of amateur mistakes is quite baffling. I think only the Big Green dubs had anything that might resemble these kind of technical faults.

The script is once again handicapping the actors. A lot of awkward sounding dialogue.

The casting is still pretty solid all around, except for Lex Lang whose voice makes Goku sound way too meek and timid. He does capture Goku's character quite well though, specifically in portraying him as an idiot manchild, even Schemmel still struggles in that regard.

Whoever's playing Whis really needs to tighten up their pronunciations. Saying "thad" instead of "that" is unacceptable in my view, the director really should be catching these things in the booth.

I look forward to more of Derek Stephen Prince as Freeza. It's a totally different direction to Ayres and the original Japanese, more maniacal but I think it has potential to be a really fun, plus it'll be more consistent than the Funi dub since Ayres is replaced now.
NitroEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017   #454
Abdullab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroEX View Post
I'm glad I'm not the one noticing. To think that someone is being paid to make these kind of amateur mistakes is quite baffling. I think only the Big Green dubs had anything that might resemble these kind of technical faults.

The script is once again handicapping the actors. A lot of awkward sounding dialogue.

The casting is still pretty solid all around, except for Lex Lang whose voice makes Goku sound way too meek and timid. He does capture Goku's character quite well though, specifically in portraying him as an idiot manchild, even Schemmel still struggles in that regard.

Whoever's playing Whis really needs to tighten up their pronunciations. Saying "thad" instead of "that" is unacceptable in my view, the director really should be catching these things in the booth.

I look forward to more of Derek Stephen Prince as Freeza. It's a totally different direction to Ayres and the original Japanese, more maniacal but I think it has potential to be a really fun, plus it'll be more consistent than the Funi dub since Ayres is replaced now.
How is Derek more faithfull to Nakao than Ayres. I`ve heard a lot of people praised Ayres performance to the point where they say he is a true english counterpoint to Nakao except he can`t nail that laugh no one can perfect the Nakao laugh.

I left his facebook video showing a demo of his frieza voice in the frieza voice compare page. Let`s not forget he was originally hired to impersonate Ayres and when he went in a different direction he went for a reptillian voice not seeking to take inspiration from Nakao. Will he be a good Freeza yes. will he be the most faithfull to sound like Nakao No although if his laugh sounds exactly like Nakao than 10 out of 10.

and not just Derek a lot of the season 2 characters are seemed to be based on funi`s version like Paul St. Peter for Sorbet he sounds great but I have heard a lot of people comparing Jeremy Schwartz to him. If there is a performance that gets a lot of love and bang zoom notices than we know they will try to emulate the performance.

I think for Season 3 because Matt Mercer is getting a lot of love as Hit they are going to give the role to Ray Chase or atleast someone who sounds like Mercer. Bang Zoom are going to have a thoughie with season 3 that`s for sure especially with all the private part talk.

Speaking of Matt Mercer he did an excellent job at episode 39 few days ago

Last edited by Abdullab; 11-07-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Abdullab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017   #455
Abdullab
Banned

Quote:

Well to be fair this is her first time directing solo. she co directed the Magi of Sinbad dub with Tony Oliver also starring Matt Mercer would u believe it. Although at this point a Tony Oliver directed Dragon Ball dub would be way better than hers
Old 11-07-2017   #456
8000 Saiyans

You do realize that Ayres doesn't sound like Nakao, right?
8000 Saiyans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017   #457
NitroEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullab View Post
How is Derek more faithfull to Nakao than Ayres.
That isn't at all what I said.

Quote:
Well to be fair this is her first time directing solo.
I don't care. They're frankly the wrong person for the job based on some of the wacky decision making that's gone into this dub thus far. Too late to change things now though, we're stuck with it.
Old 11-07-2017   #458
Abdullab
Banned

Quote:

I`m curious Nitro much like Hulkedoutdude u have been the biggest supporter of the dub although unlike the guy where he respects the funi cast u bash them in every compare except Dameon Clarke as Future Gohan. I still respect your opinion but I`m curious do u think bang zoom will find an actor that can rival Mercer.
Old 11-07-2017   #459
Abdullab
Banned

Quote:
That isn't at all what I said.

I don't care. They're frankly the wrong person for the job based on some of the wacky decision making that's gone into this dub thus far. Too late to change things now though, we're stuck with it.
1. Okay I just re read that my bad.

2. It`s never too late, someone should show the people working on the dub the mistakes so that they can try to fix the error. some of the cast are preety active on twitter someone can show them the errors ans they could talk with the staff about it.

Last edited by Abdullab; 11-07-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-07-2017   #460
NitroEX

Quote:
I`m curious Nitro much like Hulkedoutdude u have been the biggest supporter of the dub although unlike the guy where he respects the funi cast u bash them in every compare except Dameon Clarke as Future Gohan. I still respect your opinion but I`m curious do u think bang zoom will find an actor that can rival Mercer.
I've said positive things about the Funi cast, especially Chris Ayres who I think is genuinely one of the best English performers. However, Funimation has had a lot of problems when it came to actors and casting over the years and I'm not the type of person to ignore all of that and act like they've always been good (like a lot of nostalgia blind fans often do), I think a lot of their Z era stuff sucked and sounded amateur and that's mainly what I have criticised. I'm not really sure why you want me in particular to justify my opinions (a lot of which I feel I have already). Do you ask the Funi defenders who bash other dubs to justify their opinions? Something tells me you don't.

Matt Mercer as Hit sounds fine based on what I've heard so far. I really don't have a strong opinion on Hit. Maybe when I watch more episodes of the show and the Bang Zoom version comes out I will have more to add.

Quote:
2. It`s never too late, someone should show the people working on the dub the mistakes so that they can try to fix the error. some of the cast are preety active on twitter someone can show them the errors ans they could talk with the staff about it.
They're already way ahead of the episodes we're watching so our criticisms are largely irrelevant anyway. This dub isn't coming out on DVD or Blu Ray so there will be no improvements. The version we're seeing is as good as it's going to get.

Last edited by NitroEX; 11-07-2017 at 06:55 AM.