BTVA Anime Dub Awards

Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > BTVA Site Features > User Profiles (BTVA Accounts)

User Profiles (BTVA Accounts) Discuss ideas or problems with the User Accounts and learn how to fill your page out.

Old 04-08-2018   #1
Boss_Giovanni

Default My friends were wrongfully banned

Two of my friends, Galactic_Cyrus and Vocal Evolver, just got banned for suspected of being alternate accounts / sock puppets to me.

This is not true. Galactic_Cyrus joined this site years before I did - he's the one who got me into it and why I got my own account, with a similarly themed name. Vocal Evolver, likewise, is a friend I got into the site and he got his own account as a result. We live in the same place, which is why we share the same IP number. And if you check our comments and exchanges, we very clearly have some differing opinions on certain voices in the Voice Compare pages. Why on Earth would I make sock puppet accounts for completely different opinions?

Please restore their accounts. If for some reason you refuse, then please ban me and restore Galactic_Cyrus - he was here first, it's not fair that he should be kicked out on my account.
Boss_Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018   #2
NCZ
Ask me about unions

Default Re: My friends were wrongfully banned

Okay I have to be honest, I might have acted a little hastily. I saw the similar names, similar patterns on posting history, and then I noticed Galactic_Cyrus and Rocket_Giovanni were editing from the same IP and I thought that all seemed cut-and-dry enough. Vocal Evolver was not editing from the same IP but as I'll mention below there was some other stuff that made me suspicious so I put a "pending" ban while I could look into it further. That being said I apologize greatly for this especially if I was in error.

That being said I do have a couple of concerns I would like cleared up.

1. Galactic_Cyrus and Rocket_Giovanni both signed up on the exact same date (March 19, 2011). Rocket_Giovanni didn't post much afterward but Galactic did. Obviously this was years ago and at the time nobody really thought much about it. I just figured maybe he changed his mind and wanted a new username. No big deal.

2. This is the part that was really strange and most made me question things which is that all three accounts have the same birthdate assigned to them. Galactic Cyrus, Rocket Giovanni, and Vocal Evolver. The birthdate is also the same as the one listed on your account. As well your post is basically you saying "yes, I am Rocket Giovanni" and claiming you joined long after him, when Rocket Giovanni in fact signed up on the same date as Galactic Cyrus. Is there an explanation for all of this?

Like I said, please forgive me if this was made in error and I will act accordingly, but there was a lot of stuff that added up and made things seem fishy. We don't allow multiple accounts to be used at once since they can be used to wind up swaying things like voice compare votes and discussions, this is something that has been a big recurring problem with the voice compares for certain fandoms in the past, and since most of the accounts' activities was on voice compares I thought something might be up.

Last edited by NCZ; 04-09-2018 at 12:22 AM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018   #3
Boss_Giovanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
Okay I have to be honest, I might have acted a little hastily. I saw the similar names, similar patterns on posting history, and then I noticed Galactic_Cyrus and Rocket_Giovanni were editing from the same IP and I thought that all seemed cut-and-dry enough. Vocal Evolver was not editing from the same IP but as I'll mention below there was some other stuff that made me suspicious so I put a "pending" ban while I could look into it further. That being said I apologize greatly for this especially if I was in error.

That being said I do have a couple of concerns I would like cleared up.

1. Galactic_Cyrus and Rocket_Giovanni both signed up on the exact same date (March 19, 2011). Rocket_Giovanni didn't post much afterward but Galactic did. Obviously this was years ago and at the time nobody really thought much about it. I just figured maybe he changed his mind and wanted a new username. No big deal.

2. This is the part that was really strange and most made me question things which is that all three accounts have the same birthdate assigned to them. Galactic Cyrus, Rocket Giovanni, and Vocal Evolver. The birthdate is also the same as the one listed on your account. As well your post is basically you saying "yes, I am Rocket Giovanni" and claiming you joined long after him, when Rocket Giovanni in fact signed up on the same date as Galactic Cyrus. Is there an explanation for all of this?

Like I said, please forgive me if this was made in error and I will act accordingly, but there was a lot of stuff that added up and made things seem fishy. We don't allow multiple accounts to be used at once since they can be used to wind up swaying things like voice compare votes and discussions, this is something that has been a big recurring problem with the voice compares for certain fandoms in the past, and since most of the accounts' activities was on voice compares I thought something might be up.
Thank you for your response. Now I will answer your questions.

1. Galactic_Cyrus made me the Rocket_Giovanni account for me after discovering the site. I lost interest quickly and stopped using it for a few years, figured this site was more of his thing than mine. By the time I actually got interested again, neither him nor me could remember my password, we hadn't written or typed it down. So I made a new account - this one.

2. The date used for our birthdates isn't actually any of our birthdates - it's a day with a different meaningful attachment, so to say. We don't like giving out our real birthdates online, or any personal information on our lives. BUT, if we have to provide our real birthdates to stay on here, then we shall promptly do that once all accounts are restored.

But I totally understand the concern about multiple accounts - poll rigging and whatnot through sockpuppet accounts and bots and whatnot is a real nuisance on any site it. Rest assured, none of us want to do that, we just are here to express our opinions and talk, even if in civil disagreement.
Old 04-09-2018   #4
TylerMirage
Administrator

Just piping in here to say (without commenting on the accounts being brought into question here) that, Boss_Giovanni, I applaud your polite-natured and well-worded thread. You've raised your concern is a very respectful way and this is a textbook example to the community on how to communicate.

Carry on, NCZ.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018   #5
NCZ
Ask me about unions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss_Giovanni View Post
Thank you for your response. Now I will answer your questions.

1. Galactic_Cyrus made me the Rocket_Giovanni account for me after discovering the site. I lost interest quickly and stopped using it for a few years, figured this site was more of his thing than mine. By the time I actually got interested again, neither him nor me could remember my password, we hadn't written or typed it down. So I made a new account - this one.

2. The date used for our birthdates isn't actually any of our birthdates - it's a day with a different meaningful attachment, so to say. We don't like giving out our real birthdates online, or any personal information on our lives. BUT, if we have to provide our real birthdates to stay on here, then we shall promptly do that once all accounts are restored.

But I totally understand the concern about multiple accounts - poll rigging and whatnot through sockpuppet accounts and bots and whatnot is a real nuisance on any site it. Rest assured, none of us want to do that, we just are here to express our opinions and talk, even if in civil disagreement.
I gotcha.

Okay, for the time being I think I can buy this enough to reverse the bans for now. You've been very understanding, patient, and cooperative in your posts here which I appreciate and I hope I've come across the same way mutually. Obviously the standard rules that apply to accounts will apply. But for now I will admit that I probably acted too hastily and I'll try to be mindful of that in the future. There've been so many instances of that that it's kind of made me get a bit triggerhappy sometimes, but clearly that means we get false positives sometimes. As you say the fact that your opinions on VCs can be different at times is a different story than people who sign up and all push the same opinions, so at least for now I think it should be okay to let them all be active. Hopefully we can get it all sorted out again and I apologize for any confusion.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018   #6
Boss_Giovanni

Thank you, NCZ, and thank both you and TylerMirage for the kind words.

I will admit that it was quite distressing to me when this happened since I felt guilty about it, since it was because I had forgotten my Rocket_Giovanni password and needed to get a second account (this one, Boss_Giovanni) AND because I invited Vocal Evolver onto the site to start with, I felt like it was all my fault that they got banned. They weren't mad at me and trusted me to help them get it sorted out, but I felt guilty all the same. But I also knew that freaking out and yelling and whatnot wasn't going to help them or solve anything, so I was as rational and polite as possible, and I really appreciate your compliments on that.