Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 02-21-2018   #1
Marakutanay

Default Bleach

Hello everyone. Here is Hiyori Sarugaki from Bleach who I'm pretty sure wasn't voiced by Mela Lee before Laura took over but before reporting the mistake I want to make sure it's really not her and also to see if anyone know whose voice this is. Do you guys think this is really Mela Lee:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1gDn0rYcGB2

If you need a time frame, these episodes were released in early to mid 2009 and were recorded at Studiopolis.

Thanks.

Last edited by Marakutanay; 02-21-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Marakutanay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018   #2
whyofbladez

Default Re: Hiyori really Mela Lee?

I've seen some wiki out there (can't remember which) say that it was Lara Cody, but I really haven't a clue - I'm not all that familiar with her voice.

Last edited by whyofbladez; 02-21-2018 at 10:15 PM.
whyofbladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018   #3
rosebr10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyofbladez View Post
I've seen some wiki out there (can't remember which) say that it was Lara Cody, but I really haven't a clue - I'm not all that familiar with her voice.
Lara Cody is associated with Hiyori because an "L.C. Curci" was credited for the character in the Nintendo DS game Bleach: The 3rd Phantom, an entry notable for stand-ins such as Donn A. Nordean (Brian Beacock) as D-Roy Linker, David Lodge as Jidanbo Ikkanzaka, and Kyle Hebert as Kaien Shiba.

Combine this with the less-than-stellar block o' names the Bleach anime uses and it's clear that a then not-so-well-known Mela Lee would get overshadowed by this direct credit, regardless of whether she was credited for the anime or not.

Last edited by rosebr10; 02-21-2018 at 04:38 PM.
rosebr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018   #4
whyofbladez

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebr10 View Post
Lara Cody is associated with Hiyori because an "L.C. Curci" was credited for the character in the Nintendo DS game Bleach: The 3rd Phantom, an entry notable for stand-ins such as Donn A. Nordean (Brian Beacock) as D-Roy Linker, David Lodge as Jidanbo Ikkanzaka, and Kyle Hebert as Kaien Shiba.

Combine this with the less-than-stellar block o' names the Bleach anime uses and it's clear that a then not-so-well-known Mela Lee would get overshadowed by this direct credit, regardless of whether she was credited for the anime or not.
I see. After looking up a clip from that game, for sure whoever voices her first in the anime sure wasn't Lara.

Now that I think about it, the clip sorta sounds like Melissa Fahn to me. Maybe her? On a similar note both her and Mela Lee voiced Rachel Alucard in BlazBlue: Continuum Shift.
whyofbladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018   #5
rosebr10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyofbladez View Post
I see. After looking up a clip from that game, for sure whoever voices her first in the anime sure wasn't Lara.

Now that I think about it, the clip sorta sounds like Melissa Fahn to me. Maybe her? On a similar note both her and Mela Lee voiced Rachel Alucard in BlazBlue: Continuum Shift.
My frame of reference for Mela Lee beyond her Rachel Alucard and Tiki is that she sounds like she could be Wendee Lee's estranged cousin (moreso than Julie Ann Taylor). Compared to Rin, however, Hiyori sounds more like she had a headcold, so I personally do not have any issues with this association.

It's also worth noting that Lee once liked a tweet about her being Hiyori.
rosebr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018   #6
Marakutanay

So I'm looking for some of the miscredits on the Bleach page and I got most of them figured out, but I'm having problems with these characters:

Gantenbainne Mosqueda: John Eric Bentley maybe?

Tessai Tsukabishi.

Love Aikawa.

Guardian of the Forest of Menos

If anyone can recognise them, I'd appreciate it. Also, if a mode could change the name of the thread to just Bleach that'd be great too.
Old 06-22-2018   #7
Hayworth

Been out of Bleach for a long while, but let me see what I can put together

Tessai is the only one I feel confident in identifying-- that's John DeMita, putting on a deeper voice than usual. I believe he was a few Hollows as well, and he would've debuted around the same time as those. I can see how he would be confused for Michael Sorich, who's done that sort of voice before, but Tessai's a bit higher and much smoother then Sorich would have been

Hiyori is... well I don't know if it's Lara Cody in the show proper, but I really don't think it's Mela Lee. Lee's got a very specific vocal style that I've never heard her get away from, and one that I just don't hear in Hiyori. I think Jessica Straus has done something like this before, but uh that requires further research

Gantenbainne coooooould be Bentley? This would have predated the Marvel stuff, right? I feel like the depth in his voice is a little forced, if that puts anyone on the right path. Makes me wonder how the hell the Greg Eagles credit came up in the first place

Aikawa is frustrating. I feel like all the likely candidates would be way too deep when doing a voice like this. Possibly maybe this is Troy Baker

The Guardian is fersher not David Vincent. It's kind of difficult to tell, but I think this could be Kyle Hebert, or maybe even Michael Lindsay just really laying on the rasp
Hayworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018   #8
Polyester Funk

Just listened to John Eric Bentley's Nick Fury, and it does sound a lot like Gantenbainne.

Greg Eagles is also attributed to Zommari even though he sounds exactly like Neil Kaplan, so I don't know why that credit stuck. Zommari does sound different when he was first introduced when the Espada are all gathered together.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GoG0wnduJgQ

It's so brief that I don't know who this might be unless it was also Bentley.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018   #9
Hayworth

Zommari sounds like Neil the entire time to me. I think the first voice is him just trying something else and then moving away from that once he got more than a line
Hayworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018   #10
Marakutanay

Yeah, Zommari is always Neil, he just use a different voice at first. DeMita being Tessai is possible but I don't quite hear him to be honest; also the hollows credit to him are wrong: Shrieker is JB Blanc, and Bulbous G is just grunts so I doubt it's DeMita either.