Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 08-22-2018   #1
whyofbladez

Default FLCL - Kamon Nandaba

Recently I gave the original OVA series a watch, and I was trying to figure out some of the voice actors, namely the Dad character Kamon Nandaba. He's credited to a "Joe Martin" which is more likely than not, an alias. While most of the cast are credited under psuedonym's, it isn't exactly consistent with quite a few being credited under their real name.

His voice sounded very familiar to me and I couldn't exactly place where I heard it before. Then a few episodes in, a name came to mind; Sonny Strait.

Sounds like a stretch since Strait is Dallas based, right? Well, here's the thing; Strait provided voices for the incomplete English dub of "I'm Gonna be an Angel!" where he's credited by name. Not only was this dubbed in L.A., it was dubbed at Synch-Point which also dubbed "FLCL" and was also dubbed around the same time. I don't think it's inconceivable.

I dunno, maybe I'm crazy?

L. Villa as Kitsurubami also sounds familiar, but I really can't place her voice. Synch-Point seemingly had a lot of voice actors who didn't do work for many other places, at least if the names credited are to be believed.
whyofbladez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018   #2
Hayworth

Default Re: FLCL - Kamon Nandaba

Oh good somebody made this thread before I did, hahaha

I'm also glad that somebody else came up with the Sonny Strait theory independently, and I would love to say that it's a wrap on that... but I feel like there are a few holes. Aside from Kamon's voice itself (which I think is a little low for Sonny, but not quite out of his range?) I feel like a decade and a half in, Sonny would have let somebody know he was in FLCL of all things. And it's not like it would be a union issue considering he mostly works in Texas. So if it was him, why "Joe Martin"?

"L. Villa" is even more frustrating because I can't even hang a equivalent theory around her. Last rewatch I heard a vague resemblance to Tara Sands, who I believe was doing work in LA by that time, but not enough to confirm. Also, same issue with Sonny as Kamon; why not bring up that you were in FLCL? One other thing, "Edward Villa" is one of Richard Cansino's aliases, but I really couldn't tell you if there's a connection there

I think the issue to consider here (and basically why I slept on starting my own thread) is that in a case like this, with a company that had a fair share of in-house staff doing VO, is that there's a significant chance that these actors just didn't do anything else, and then most of the thread becomes a cycle of namechecking and debunking

Last edited by Hayworth; 08-22-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Hayworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018   #3
whyofbladez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayworth View Post
Oh good somebody made this thread before I did, hahaha

I'm also glad that somebody else came up with the Sonny Strait theory independently, and I would love to say that it's a wrap on that... but I feel like there are a few holes. Aside from Kamon's voice itself (which I think is a little low for Sonny, but not quite out of his range?) I feel like a decade and a half in, Sonny would have let somebody know he was in FLCL of all things. And it's not like it would be a union issue considering he mostly works in Texas. So if it was him, why "Joe Martin"?

"L. Villa" is even more frustrating because I can't even hang a equivalent theory around her. Last rewatch I heard a vague resemblance to Tara Sands, who I believe was doing work in LA by that time, but not enough to confirm. Also, same issue with Sonny as Kamon; why not bring up that you were in FLCL? One other thing, "Edward Villa" is one of Richard Cansino's aliases, but I really couldn't tell you if there's a connection there

I think the issue to consider here (and basically why I slept on starting my own thread) is that in a case like this, with a company that had a fair share of in-house staff doing VO, is that there's a significant chance that these actors just didn't do anything else, and then most of the thread becomes a cycle of namechecking and debunking
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I would suggest that maybe Strait didn't want his name associated with "FLCL" but that begs the question as to why and it really wouldn't make sense. Strait always gladly tells the story about his most embarrassing role at cons, which was playing some perv who buys soiled panties from a vending machine. I considered asking him on twitter, but I'm too neurotic to do so in any other fashion than DM's (which he has disabled).

It's a pain when you can't always take the credits at face value. I'm at least glad I'm not alone in hearing the similarities.
Old 08-25-2018   #4
Kirbopher
Professional Voice Actor

From what I understand, both of the actors in question were just their own people. I'm not saying the names on screen are necessarily their real names or pseudonyms (I don't know for certain, but that's not important), but I don't think either of them are other actors you guys would've heard in other anime projects. You don't have to take my word for it, but honestly I think having standalone credited pages for Joe Martin and L. Villa is probably fine enough for the purposes of this site.
Kirbopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018   #5
Shaun Ince

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyofbladez View Post
Recently I gave the original OVA series a watch, and I was trying to figure out some of the voice actors, namely the Dad character Kamon Nandaba. He's credited to a "Joe Martin" which is more likely than not, an alias. While most of the cast are credited under psuedonym's, it isn't exactly consistent with quite a few being credited under their real name.

His voice sounded very familiar to me and I couldn't exactly place where I heard it before. Then a few episodes in, a name came to mind; Sonny Strait.

Sounds like a stretch since Strait is Dallas based, right? Well, here's the thing; Strait provided voices for the incomplete English dub of "I'm Gonna be an Angel!" where he's credited by name. Not only was this dubbed in L.A., it was dubbed at Synch-Point which also dubbed "FLCL" and was also dubbed around the same time. I don't think it's inconceivable.

I dunno, maybe I'm crazy?

L. Villa as Kitsurubami also sounds familiar, but I really can't place her voice. Synch-Point seemingly had a lot of voice actors who didn't do work for many other places, at least if the names credited are to be believed.
While I can understand why you would come to that conclusion, it doesn't really have any evidence that would back this up. Plus Sonny Strait was well into dubbing Dragonball at the time that this dub was made so that makes it more unlikely.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018   #6
whyofbladez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Ince View Post
While I can understand why you would come to that conclusion, it doesn't really have any evidence that would back this up. Plus Sonny Strait was well into dubbing Dragonball at the time that this dub was made so that makes it more unlikely.
For FLCL, no; I'm just stating that he's done work for the dubbing company before which is why I even considered that possibility. The end credits to "I'm Gonna be an Angel" supposedly states that he was indeed part of the cast, but I cannot find any for the dub online. Also, Crystalacids, unless otherwise stated, usually directly sourced the end credits.

Synch-Point's archived website however, backs this credit up; showing that he did indeed do work for them. Chances are that he never left Dallas, and went through the same routine as when recording for Toonami T.O.M.; being patched in through phone.

Last edited by whyofbladez; 09-08-2018 at 10:14 PM.