Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 03-14-2020   #1
drakh

Default Conan the Adventurer

So going though Conan and the Young Warriors made me think of the earlier series, Conan the Adventurer, which I've never watched before in spite of it's relatively good reputation.

It consists of 65 episodes over 2 seasons. Cast credits for the first season:

The second season does not appear to have any voice acting credits at all.

The first thing that strikes me is that none of the cast lists I've seen for the show have ever connected John Pyper-Ferguson to a role. While he didn't have much of a voice acting career outside this series, he became a decently successful live action actor (IMDB) with notable roles in shows like "Adventures of Brisco County jr.", "Caprica", and most recently playing Tex in "The Last Ship". Given the sparseness of the cast list I think it's likely he plays one of the lead/recurring characters. (YouTube clip of him as Pete Hutter in Brisco County jr.)

And looking at the currently credited cast here on the site, having just briefly sampled the show, I think the following two are incorrect:

Richard Newman - Zula
Scott McNeil - Greywolf

There's a sound clip up for Greywolf already, and to me that's clearly not McNeil. Zula is a bit more ambiguous, you can hear him slip into a "Newman-adjacent" voice every now and then, but I'm still skeptical - the rest is unlike anything I've heard from Newman anywhere else. Here's a clip of the role.

(That said it could of course be that these roles get recast later in the series, though I did skim a few of the later episodes and don't think they sounded any more role Newman or McNeil there.)

I'll post more thoughts on the cast as I go through the show.
drakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020   #2
Polyester Funk

Default Re: Conan the Adventurer

Zula reminds me a lot of Arthur Burghardt. That may be unlikely as this was recorded in Canada and I don't know if he's worked out of there, though they've used LA actors in other productions. I agree that it is not Newman.

Greywolf sounds familiar and it's bugging me that I can't think of from where. Maybe I'll figure it out, or someone else will.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020   #3
drakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyester Funk View Post
Zula reminds me a lot of Arthur Burghardt. That may be unlikely as this was recorded in Canada and I don't know if he's worked out of there, though they've used LA actors in other productions. I agree that it is not Newman.

Greywolf sounds familiar and it's bugging me that I can't think of from where. Maybe I'll figure it out, or someone else will.
Thanks for the response. I'm only a few episodes in, but my current thinking is that if we stick to the credited cast, Greywolf is probably Michael Beattie. He has a similar voice in his animation demo ("The Outlander, he has stolen the claw of heaven!"). If I'm lucky, that's an actual clip from the show. (He does a bit with Needle, his main role in the series, in the demo, though I'm not sure if it's actually from the show or something he did for the demo.)

By process of elimination John Pyper-Ferguson is then a likely candidate for Zula, but it's hard to match that deeper, accented voice with his live action performances.
Old 03-15-2020   #4
drakh

Quote:
I listened to some of the clips of Burghardt, and you're right it is a close match. With Zula being a lead character, and Burghardt not listed in the credits it is quite the stretch though. Confusingly, he is in the "Conan the Adventurer" live action series from 1997, as the voice of the "Skull that Talks".

One thing to note is that Stevie Vallance has a video recording of the recording of the final episode on her YouTube page, and neither the voice actor for Zula or Greywolf appear to be present (I've only skimmed the episode to avoid spoilers, but as far as I can tell they both are present and have dialog in it).
Old 03-16-2020   #5
Polyester Funk

Zula sounds so much like Arthur's Destro, plus his actor appears to not be in the recording session for the episode he's in. Wally Burr was the voice director for this-I only checked a snippet near the end and you can hear him on the phone(Stevie also has it written in the description.)- and Wally did direct Arthur in GI Joe and Transformers, so he may have used LA actors for this.

Not sure I wanna go too deep there, as that may be all circumstantial evidence, but I figure it's worth pointing out. As to why he or anyone else wouldn't be credited, I don't know. I suppose there could be a number of reasons.
Old 03-19-2020   #6
drakh

Default The Plot Thickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakh View Post
Thanks for the response. I'm only a few episodes in, but my current thinking is that if we stick to the credited cast, Greywolf is probably Michael Beattie. He has a similar voice in his animation demo ("The Outlander, he has stolen the claw of heaven!"). If I'm lucky, that's an actual clip from the show. (He does a bit with Needle, his main role in the series, in the demo, though I'm not sure if it's actually from the show or something he did for the demo.)
Well, the sample was from the show, but it wasn't Greywolf, it was a random Pictish warrior in episode 10. And it seems very unlikely that he would feature a minor guest character on his reel instead of Greywolf if that was indeed him. So back to the drawing board I guess.

Quote:
Zula sounds so much like Arthur's Destro, plus his actor appears to not be in the recording session for the episode he's in. Wally Burr was the voice director for this-I only checked a snippet near the end and you can hear him on the phone(Stevie also has it written in the description.)- and Wally did direct Arthur in GI Joe and Transformers, so he may have used LA actors for this.

Not sure I wanna go too deep there, as that may be all circumstantial evidence, but I figure it's worth pointing out. As to why he or anyone else wouldn't be credited, I don't know. I suppose there could be a number of reasons.
Oh, about that... Having seen the first season, some... interesting voices showed up.

Lets start with this one:

Nekbah the slaver. I'm pretty sure this is Wally Burr.

Not that much of a stretch though, he's the voice director after all. But then we have this one, in episode 6:

Dwarf - This sounds like Doug Stone to me...

But ok, Stone is Canadian and started his career in Toronto in the 80s. By the 90s he was established in LA, but it's theoretically possible he went back and tried his luck in Vancover for a little while. Well, then in episode 11, we have:

Tostero - This is Tony Oliver, isn't it?

So the show was absolutely doing some extra recording in LA. And not to disparage Stone and Oliver's talents, but the reason you would get them and not, say, Jeff Bennett and Rob Paulsen, is that the former work non-union. Which would also explain why no-one from LA is credited, and why they ended up not having any voice acting credits for season 2.

Also, Polyester, seems like you're not the first to think Burghardt played Zula. Someone added him as the voice of the character on the Conan Wiki back in 2011, though unfortunately they didn't list any sources.
Old 03-21-2020   #7
Polyester Funk

Well, that is certainly interesting. I suppose with Wally as voice director it shouldn't be surprising to see that he used some LA talent as well, but everybody was going off of the credited cast and trying to assign roles based on that. Not that I can blame them.

It wasn't me who added the Burghardt credit in case you're wondering. Given the connections to him and Burr I'm feeling pretty confident that is indeed Burghardt as Zula.
Old 04-10-2020   #8
drakh

I've watched nearly half the second season, and it seems the LA guest shenanigans are over. Outside of Zula and Greywolf it's now pretty recognizable Vancouver actors doing everything. Most of the guest characters are just the main cast doubling, lots of Doug Parker and Kathleen Barr, with a few guest actors here and there like Dale Wilson, Lee Tockar, Cathy Weseluck, Venus Terzo and Stevie Vallance.

I've found a few things in the current entry for the series I disagree with. It has Zogar Sag, Skulkur and The Kari Dragon credited to Scott McNeil, I think they're all Doug Parker.

It also has Ram-Amon credited to Richard Newman, which makes sense given that it's the same voice as Zula who's also credited to Newman. But as mentioned earlier, I don't think either is Newman.
Old 04-12-2020   #9
Polyester Funk

Given this clip of Ram-Amon he sounds pretty much exactly like Burghardt's Destro, even more so than Zula. There's no question in my mind that he was both characters.

I don't really know Doug Parker that well so I'm not sure if I can help with that. With what I found of Skullkur and the Kari Dragon, I also don't think that they're McNeil.
Old 04-12-2020   #10
tmnisaac

Quote:
Given this clip of Ram-Amon he sounds pretty much exactly like Burghardt's Destro, even more so than Zula. There's no question in my mind that he was both characters.
There's also a website saying that's Long John Baldry voicing Ram-Amon especially the way he said "trying" in the voice clip sounds a little bit like Robotnik but that's my guess.
tmnisaac is offline   Reply With Quote