Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 10-29-2019   #81
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Default Re: Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy

At least we end on a couple easy ones.

You ever just... think about life?
Nightmare Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019   #82
millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
At least we end on a couple easy ones.
Haha, right?
millicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019   #83
Polyester Funk

Whyofbladez brought it up, and I agree that "Tim Delay" sounds like Brian George. He was on MASK with Doug Stone if that means anything at all.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019   #84
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Can I get a rundown on specific roles from Brian George that make you think this? I only have a cursory familiarity with him. I'm open to the idea at least.

Old 10-30-2019   #85
Hayworth

Take it with a grain of salt, but Brian as Miles Warren in Spectacular Spider-man and his few turns as Alfred are not dissimilar to M'Quve. And that clip of the Fed general is really really close to his Parasite. Can't say I know anything he's done that sounds like Conscon, though

As long as we're wildly speculating, the War Correspondent and that additional clip of the same actor absolutely scream Jim Ward to me. So much Qwark, especially that little aside in the second clip. I have no clue if he has any prior connection to Doug Stone, though, and the only dubs with his actual name in the credits are two Ghibli movies and Kaze no Yojimbo, which was Studio E/proto-Studiopolis
Hayworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019   #86
millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayworth View Post
Take it with a grain of salt, but Brian as Miles Warren in Spectacular Spider-man and his few turns as Alfred are not dissimilar to M'Quve. And that clip of the Fed general is really really close to his Parasite. Can't say I know anything he's done that sounds like Conscon, though
Can't listen to anything at the moment, but I will say that listening to clips this morning did have me intrigued. The fact that they worked on a prelay show together that we know to gave been recorded ensemble and to be a special show for Stone (his first prelay show and the thing that enabled him to move to the States/LA) makes it possible that this was Stone calling in a favor/having a chance to hang with an old work buddy again. Dubbing is a low time commitment, so George clearing a few hours in his week mostly for the opportunity to see an old friend isn't preposterous. Stone does mention George by name in a MASK interview.

Quote:
As long as we're wildly speculating, the War Correspondent and that additional clip of the same actor absolutely scream Jim Ward to me. So much Qwark, especially that little aside in the second clip. I have no clue if he has any prior connection to Doug Stone, though, and the only dubs with his actual name in the credits are two Ghibli movies and Kaze no Yojimbo, which was Studio E/proto-Studiopolis
Interesting you bring him up, as he was coming to mind as a comparison point for George. I've seen him pegged to incidentals in 0083 (him being Ward), so "prelay all-star types" aren't totally out of plausibility in nonunion LA dubs. It's been implied left and right that nonunion pay is usually equal to union pay on the base anyway, so working nonunion, for anime at least, isn't necessarily the political bot button for all actors. It's for games and such that going non-union star tr s to get dicey, as the pay disparity actually appears to be there, with there being a lot of room for the nonunion stuff to affect the union stuff. Anime dubbing is already about as low as one could get without affecting quality, and dubs that pay lower than union standard, whether union or not, seem to be the exception rather than the norm. Take Rebecca Foratadt for example who railed on her site about actors working for less than union standard on anime dubs. She never said union just union pay rate, and Forstadt has worked non union for decades, so I can't imagine she's just talking about actors who work nonunion.

Edit: Haha, sorry. Writing this on my dying phone. Pardon all the spelling mistakes. Haha

Last edited by millicent; 10-30-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2019   #87
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Re: Brian George.

I did take a listen and I have to say Parasite and the Federation guy in particular are really, really close. I'll let Millicent/anyone else who might know something take a listen before moving forward, but this might be it. It circumstantially makes a lot of sense. Doug and Brian definitely know each other. Another thing to consider is that these dubs were apparently recorded at breakneck speed. It wouldn't surprise if in a pinch Doug decided to call on someone who he knew was reliable. And given the nature of acting (IE constant auditions and uncertainty) it's not absurd to think he'd take the chance for a guaranteed payout.

Re: Jim Ward

You know... the thought crossed my mind for a hot minute when I first heard the war correspondent until I dismissed it as silly because I didn't think Jim Ward did this kind of stuff. But if someone else independently came up with it there might be something to it. And if he ACTUALLY was in Stardust Memory I'd call it 100%.
Even if Jim has no direct connection to Doug Stone, given the aforementioned hurried nature of the dubbing it's possible he just happened to around the studio for something else that day and got pulled in with the promise of some quick cash for a few lines.

Last edited by Nightmare Crusher; 10-30-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2019   #88
millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
Re: Brian George.

I did take a listen and I have to say Parasite and the Federation guy in particular are really, really close. I'll let Millicent/anyone else who might know something take a listen before moving forward, but this might be it. It circumstantially makes a lot of sense. Doug and Brian definitely know each other.
Another thing came to mind: like a lot of the dubs, they appear to be going for a transatlantic/pseudo-British aristocratic thing with M'Quve here, and despite evidently only spending the first 13 years of his life there, George's early years in London have resulted in his natural voice being fairly British in sound. So it would make sense that Stone would have had George come to mind.*

Also, the fact that George is in some of the Disney Ghibli dubs might mean something. While those dubs do, with their larger pockets, tap into a deeper talent pool and get prelay people who otherwise don't do anime/dubbing, I think it is notable that those dubs also tend to cast prelay stars who started in dubbing before "growing out of it" (Pat Pinney, Bob Bergen, Corye Burton, Candi Milo, Gregg Berger, Greg Berg, and about the only time you'll see names like Edie Mirman or Bridget Hoffman nowadays are the odd Disney dub). That might not just be a coincidence and could be them realizing the value of getting people "who know how to do this."

Stone might also be one of those people who adapts/directs live action dubs, which may fall under a different (and more lucrative) SAG contract than animation dubbing. That animation dubbing pays as low as it does is more something SAG tolerates than actually desires, and them not willing to put up with such shenanigans for live action dubbing, where Hollywood studios sometimes do dip their toe into things and things can get high profile (see Lions Gate and Battle Royale for example), seems plausible. Maybe George worked with Stone there a fair amount but only dipped his toes into the odd anime dub.

Quote:
Another thing to consider is that these dubs were apparently recorded at breakneck speed.
Correct, and since I realized now that I only really shared this through you via PM, I'll copy and paste what I told you about this dub's production history:

Quote:
Quote:
They must not have had much to work with or a hasty schedule or something.
Two weeks recording time. Probably anyway. I remember two people discussing it on the CrystalAcids. The head of the site clarified, asking, "weren't those movies all dubbed in a week, as revealed by one of the sound engineers on Usenet or some forum of some sort?" before someone clarified that that was all true, except that it was two weeks.

This would add up. While I highly doubt the whole production was that fast. Hell, the engineers wouldn't really have any knowledge into how long say, the dialogue adaptation stage took. But two weeks to record (and maybe mix everything) all three? It would be aggressive, but it does seem possible. Tge dialogue adapter was the late Bob Barron, a legendary figure in the LA dubbing scene who basically started the scene as we know it today in the early 80's. Doug Stone (I suspect the dub was handled by a technically uncredited "Doug Stone Enterprises" with "Fidelity Studio" just being the sound studio contracted to record it) [the cast being "not quite Animaze" would fit with this, as Animaze got its foothold into the preestablished LA dubbing actors through Kevin Seymour's connections to Doug Stone] thinking "I gotta get this done fast. Who's the fastest adapter around?... Probably Bob. He's the most experienced out of all of us" would make sense.

Also, why would the engineer feel the need to post? The final mix is poor, something Animaze would never put their name to, basically just the session recordings with the minimal amount of radio filters and dimension added. My theory is that someone criticized the final mix, prompting the proud engineer, their name on the line, to explain that the schedule was an utter joke, leaving them no chance to give the movie a proper mix. A "what we recorded is what you get" situation.
So yeah, this dub may have had an especially abbreviated production timetable.

Quote:
And given the nature of acting (IE constant auditions and uncertainty) it's not absurd to think he'd take the chance for a guaranteed payout.
Yeah, I agree. It'd be one thing if this voice popped up all throughout anime dubs of the era. Then I would be a little suspicious that someone as established as George would have the time/inclination, but for the odd thing? Stuff will always surprise you with things like this: Dave Fennoy in non-union games, William Morgan Sheppard in Hellsing, et cetera

Quote:
And if he ACTUALLY was in Stardust Memory I'd call it 100%.
I've already been curious to check these credits out for a while now, so I think I'll do that tonight.

*Makes one wonder if "Wheat St. James" for that matter is a more established actor in the same way.
Old 10-30-2019   #89
millicent

Default Brian George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyester Funk View Post
Whyofbladez brought it up, and I agree that "Tim Delay" sounds like Brian George. He was on MASK with Doug Stone if that means anything at all.
Not to double-post, but...

Tim Delay A
Tim Delay B

Exhibit A
Exhibit B
Exhibit C
Exhibit D

Um, yeah, I'm convinced that's the same guy. Need to check out Conscon again, as that could just be someone else, but color me convinced that Tim Delay is Brian George. If it was just the vocal similarity, I'd be a bit more reluctant, but considering everything we've already discussed, I think this one seems totally within the realm of possibility.

Also, random side thought, but my hat is off to Brian George, who continues to impress me as an actor. I mean, I've always loved him on Seinfeld and the like same as everybody, but I think he deserves singling out for special praise for his versatility.

Edit: Nice work Polyester Funk and whyofbladez, and I apologize for mostly just humoring it at first.

Edit Edit: Pay particular attention to Vulture's inflections. Just the acting choices alone match M'Quve's a lot in places: "...no reason to support Garma..." and the like.

Last edited by millicent; 10-30-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2019   #90
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Kudos to all involved. I love discoveries in this vein where a well known actor turns up where you least expect them. Think Keith Szarabajka in Sengoku Basara or EG Daily in Fire Emblem. I'll get it fixed up soon as I can.

If Conscon isn't Brian George and it really is Jim Ward as the War Correspondent then maybe HE did Conscon? Other people would know him better than me, but I kind of thought that accent aside his Perceptor has a similar "constricted" sound to him.

https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com...ron/Perceptor/