Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Game Discussion

Game Discussion Chat about video games from old school classics to the latest and upcoming releases.

Old 04-01-2011   #1
WackyBrains

Default Any Punch-Out fans?

One of my favorite game series has to be Nintendo's Punch-Out series, but especially its SNES and Wii incarnations.

The interesting thing about it is that those two games have the honor of being voice-acted, which is pretty cool if you ask me.

While Super Punch-Out for the SNES has only one voice actor doing all the voice roles, he performs them with such versatility that it tickles me that he did this before doing the voice of Mario in Super Mario 64. Check it out!

Punch-Out for the Wii, on the other hand, has an eclectic voice cast from all across the globe, featuring not only English, French, and Spanish, but Turkish and even Hindi (I think).

To any and all fellow Punch-Out fans here, who do you think gave the best performance? Did they fit their characters?

And because I'm a super-geek, who would you like to see come back? Any ideas for new characters?

If this thread gets supporters, I might post some of my ideas for who should voice who, and some original character ideas as well.
WackyBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #2
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Default Re: Any Punch-Out fans?

Punch-Out is a great series. I've played it on NES and Wii (not too familiar with Super Punch-Out though). My favourite performance is Riley Inge as Doc Louis. He really made Doc sound like you'd expect, authoritative and like a coach, but also kind and funny. As a Canadian myself, I found Richard Newman's Bear Hugger to be hilarious.

I also loved that every single character speaks their native language. Tekken does the same thing, but not to he same extent (Lars is Swedish and speaks Japanese, Eddy and Christie are Brazilian and speak English). As for Super Punch-Out, I'm impressed that a 16-bit game used voice acting, and that it was all Charles Martinet. Super Street Fighter 2 used voice acting, but I didn't know other SNES games had it.

As for characters, I love all of the Wii characters and wouldn't mind if some o them stuck around, like the new character, Disco Kid. I wish they had more. My best idea? A female character. There are basically no women, aside from Don Flamenco's girlfriends that appear really quickly. If I had to pick one SNES character to come back (aside from Bear Hugger and Aran Ryan), I'd probably go with Narcis Prince.

Well, that was a big post. I'm interested in seeing your dream cast.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #3
WackyBrains

Thanks for replying, and I second your opinions with only one disagreement: a female boxer would be a bit ishy (real men don't hit ladies after all!), but maybe with some good character design it could be probable.

And Narcis Prince NEEDS to be in another game IMPO, in fact I was thinking about a British actor or comedian to play him, although I'm not quite sure if Next Level can get one. Russell Brand is my personal choice because he seems to have the voice and probably could imitate a more posh accent, but maybe with his issues and off-color humor he might not be considered...

I have plenty of ideas for new boxers, like a wiry but strong Brazilian, a spitfire Scotsman, a Swedish warrior (No bork bork bork here!), and maybe an alien and a robot as Easter Egg fighters. XD
Old 04-02-2011   #4
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

She would be tough. Like a female Super Macho Man. It'd be humourous and fit the games tone.

If Narcis Prince returned and got a well-known voice actor, my pick is Stephen Fry.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #5
WackyBrains

Super Macho... Girl...?!
Naw, but Aran Ryan's sister could possibly be a shoe-in.

Stephen Fry is also a cool decision, especially listening to his "How to be Gorgeous" skit, which kinda fits Narcis' attitude.

Tags
cartoon, game, global, nintendo, punch-out