Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training

Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training A place for aspiring voice over talents to exchange tips and ideas, share stories, post demo and recording samples, and other training sources.

Old 12-09-2011   #21
Tara St. Michel

Default Re: What recording stuff are you using?

Depending on what I'm recording and where I'm recording I'll use different software or a different mic.

For instance, for singing I always use my Blue Snowball on setting 2 with Garageband on mac (more recently Logic Express). However, if I'm voice acting, I'll either use my Snowball on setting 1 with audacity or my iPod microphone with Audacity on mac or with my iPod then touched up in audacity. More recently, I've taken to using Logic with voice acting as well because of its compression and other settings. It really helps with loud lines or uneven volume levels that cause spikes in the sound.

In the past I have tried both trial versions of Adobe Soundbooth and Audition as well as using the full version at my old high school a few times before i graduated. The cleanup tools were amazing; however, it is still better to avoid issues that require cleanup in the first place rather than have to remove them later.
Tara St. Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #22
hjonathan35

Home recording studios can vary tremendously. Use the following questions to help you uncover what it is that you truly see yourself needing in your home studio. the most recording studios aren't built all at once pieces of equipment are added slowly over time.
hjonathan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #23
James StarRunner

Audacity is by far the best FREE software. Deb Munro, Crispin Freeman, and other pro talents have plugged it. I've gotten by quite well using it. Just recently though (thanks to the Adobe suite) I got to play around with Adobe Soundbooth. So far, I'm impressed, I just have to get more used to it. I'm actually making a tutorial with Deb Munro for amateurs on a low budget, so there will be a focus on Audacity.

As for microphones, I use the MXL-990. I had gotten a good deal on it thanks to James Alburger.
James StarRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #24
CastingCallCorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendercrazy View Post
Out of total curiosity... what stuff are you using to record your voiceovers?

I'm new to recording voiceovers for still pics and video content. I just downloaded a free recording program and a cheap computer microphone to begin my trial and error process.

Was wondering what programs, microphones and other equipment everyone else out there is using?!
I just use my webcam to record audio tracks
CastingCallCorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013   #25
beemsidecar

Hi-
I'm new to BTVA. I've been voicing commercials, industrials, etc. for years. Recently, I set up a micro-studio in my house. I use Audacity, and a Blue Microphones "Snowball" Condenser USB Microphone. It gives great sound, and I have no problem with popping my "p's." Here's another tip to eliminate pops: Talk across the mic. I mean- keep the mic to the side of your mouth. That way, you can work it as close as you want, without any sibilance or popping.
beemsidecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #26
James Hawke

I'm rather new to voice acting myself, so all the stuff I use is far from being high-quality. For recording and editing, I use Audacity - and if I'm making a video out of it, I'm also using Windows Live Movie Maker. I know that's a horrible program, but it does what I want without me having to take a seminar to learn it. Plus, it's free.

As for my microphone... I used to record with a cheap Logitech Desktop Mic but I hated the quality so I bought a Sanwa Supply USB Microphone - and for the barely 1500 Yen that thing cost, the quality is quite amazing. Yet, when I get the money together I'll be trying to get my hands on a decent condenser microphone.
James Hawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #27
Samina1622

I use a CADu37 microphone and Audacity to record and save my work.
Fairly simple and cost conscious.

I would highly recommend investing in a CADu37! It's a great mic! I bought it for my singing, which admittedly it's decent but not great for. It doesn't handle that kind of projection very well.
My voice acting endeavor, however, the CADu37 is doing an excellent job! And pretty cheap too for a microphone of it's caliber. (Roughly $50 bucks on amazon)
Audacity is a free program and actually pretty decent! I took Audio Production classes and got spoiled with ProTools and Cubase. I honestly didn't think that Audacity would toot my horn like it did.

So, that's what I'm workin' with. For those who were perhaps thinking about equipment, those two are a great way to get a great sound without breaking the bank!
Old 12-11-2013   #28
MilanTheVillain01

Send a message via MSN to MilanTheVillain01

Recording program: Audacity.
Current Microphone: Samson C03U
(Which was recommended to me by fellow BTVA user, RenoRebirth).

Last edited by MilanTheVillain01; 12-28-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Upgraded my mic.... finally!
MilanTheVillain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #29
PsychicVoiceSpy

Shure PG-42 with Audacity. Haven't done much with it yet, though.
PsychicVoiceSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #30
RMMzale

I use an iPad, Voice Recorder pro app, very efficient. Hard to stabilize though. Then I email all audio to myself and edit it with audacity. Worked very well for me so far.

Am upgrading to a Samson meteor mic in a few months.
RMMzale is offline   Reply With Quote