Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training

Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training A place for aspiring voice over talents to exchange tips and ideas, share stories, post demo and recording samples, and other training sources.

Old 04-24-2011   #11
SCP21

Default Re: What recording stuff are you using?

I agree with OptimusSolo. I use Adobe Soundbooth as well and it is a much more robust program. The advantages allow for better clean up, ease of use and better editing and control to clips. Also it allows the PC to handle edits where Audacity will hang and crash.

I also use the Blue Yeti Microphone which I got on Amazon.com for $98.00 but normally runs $150.00

Both work really well for podcasting and voice over. If on a budget stick with the logitech mic and audacity but if you can afford a $300 drop then both program and mic are highly recommended.

Contact Details:
Twitter: SCP21 | Skype: CyberMegatron
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/scp21
SCP21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #12
Hendercrazy

Yeah... I definitely want to upgrade my mic too! In fact, I'll probably do that first. Then see how well it works with my current recording program.

Never heard of the Blue Yeti. I'll have to check it out.

This is what I'm looking at microphone wise right now...

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...and?sku=485179

According to my brother (who's head engineer at a tv station)... said it's an industry standard and gave me a good breakdown on how it's designed to take in direct sound & keep background noise out as much as possible.
Hendercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #13
CatsTuxedo

When capturing audio for voice clips, I use Freecorder for the recording and Audacity for the editing and saving of the clip. That way I can alter the speed of the audio in the event that the source is from the PAL region (such as European versions of North American animation).
CatsTuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #14
Hendercrazy

Smile Re: What recording stuff are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP21 View Post
I also use the Blue Yeti Microphone which I got on Amazon.com for $98.00 but normally runs $150.00
Hey there SCP... I did a lot of research on microphones and it's looking like I'm sold on the Blue Yeti! It has a lot great features all around and got incredible reviews! The only major cons of it seem to be it's massive size and no isolation for background noise/vibration... which won't be a problem here. Thanks man!
Old 05-12-2011   #15
Ringworm128

I use a Soniq Analog Microphone and Windows Movie Maker I have just got Audacity so I haven't gotten a chance to use it. Also while on the subject of recording stuff I'm have a little bit of trouble you see when I record on my Laptop it comes out very fuzzy and low quality, but I do not have this problem with my sisters computer even though I use the same mic. So what would be causing this problem? And is there anyway to fix it?
Ringworm128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #16
Hendercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringworm128 View Post
I use a Soniq Analog Microphone and Windows Movie Maker I have just got Audacity so I haven't gotten a chance to use it. Also while on the subject of recording stuff I'm have a little bit of trouble you see when I record on my Laptop it comes out very fuzzy and low quality, but I do not have this problem with my sisters computer even though I use the same mic. So what would be causing this problem? And is there anyway to fix it?
Hmmm. Does your laptop have a built-in mic? If it's set as your default microphone... that could be the problem. Double-check to make sure your program is using the Soniq mic. If that's not the issue... then I'm not really sure. Are you using the same program and settings as you use on your sister's computer?
Old 05-12-2011   #17
Ringworm128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendercrazy View Post
Hmmm. Does your laptop have a built-in mic? If it's set as your default microphone... that could be the problem. Double-check to make sure your program is using the Soniq mic. If that's not the issue... then I'm not really sure. Are you using the same program and settings as you use on your sister's computer?
Ok turns out my LT does have built in mic. And the audio is much better with out the Soniq Mic interfering. Thanks for the help.
Ringworm128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #18
Hendercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringworm128 View Post
Ok turns out my LT does have built in mic. And the audio is much better with out the Soniq Mic interfering. Thanks for the help.
Coolness. Glad to be of help!
Old 06-12-2011   #19
Bakuri

Send a message via MSN to Bakuri

I use Audacity for my recording and editing....although editing is certainly not my strong point n_n;;

As for my microphone, I just use the one that came with my RockBand game. It records in pretty decent quality if I may say so myself. I'd like to get a better one, though.

I also use the headphones on an xbox live headset my mom bought to use on Skype. The mic sucks, but the headphones are GREAT! ...When they decide to work, anyway -.-
I'd love to tell you guys what kind of headset it is....but I honestly have no idea xD
Bakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011   #20
Stephy Laurens

Smile Re: What recording stuff are you using?

I use Audacity. Why? It is most essential that if you want to work on voice over work but don't want to spend a fortune on some fancy software, Audacity may help. I sometimes use it to make my fandub readies on YouTube and I also to use it to record my dubs!

For those of you who can afford the more higher quality programs like Adobe Soundbooth and other programs, then that's fine. However, until I get enough money for those programs, I am going to have to use Audacity.

Now....just one question for people using Adobe Soundbooth:

Is there a latency problem with it like there is Audacity? I tried to fix the latency problem on Audacity but I need a certain cable to hook into an audio interface for almost zero latency. Latency is a huge pain in the neck, because if you are using headphones and have your settings so that you can hear your voice through the headphones.....you might hear yourself a few milliseconds afterwards when you speak.

The only way around this is to disable the setting and hold one side of the headphones to one ear and let the other ear stay free and open so you can hear your voice.

One way to fix latency, you can buy a mic with a headphone input jack. That way you can hear yourself. Although, when you are dubbing from a computer, you won't hear the voices in the video.
Stephy Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote