Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 11-27-2019   #21
millicent

Default Natsuko

Natsuko

Based off of credit order and process of elimination, this would have to be Julie Diamond. It's not Lara Cody, and I highly doubt it's Bonnie Stauch, who was presumably one of Macek's in-laws (his widow Svea's maiden name is Stauch) [I only know that because there's an in-joke in Golgo 13: The Professional where an uncredited Svea does the voice of an airport announcement pleaing for "customer Svea Stauch" [to] "please pick up a white courtesy telephone"] {amusingly not the last "inside joke" in an airport announcement in a Streamline dub}, so I would assume Bonnie Stauch played an incidental role. The cameos Macek himself took notwithstanding (and those were usually very small anyway), Streamline tended to hire professional actors for the major parts. I don't think Streamline ever "broke" a new talent. They just used what had already been curated elsewhere, so them giving a major episodic part to Macek's sister or mother-in-law seems doubtful.

Also, in my opinion, Natsuko sounds a lot like Streamline actor Juliana Donald. Been having trouble getting a hold of shows where she was credited with her role (Dirty Pair: Project EDEN and Silent Mobius). I do have this bit of her in a small part in a live action dub Macek directed. She wasn't credited with this role, but the list-o-names for this movie was very small. Edie Mirman definitely played the lead, Ilia (aka Iria), so Donald does slot right in for the bar proprietor.

It was Julie Diamond on the singles and the perfect collection credits; however, I think it was just a mistake. Streamline's dubs were all union (Macek helped set up the animation dubbing contract through SAG that persists through to today), and while Iona Morris did bizarrely go under Brittney Harlowe for a few of their dubs, this might have been more due to content (Harlowe was for Lily C.A.T. and Megazone 23 where she voiced an almost-always naked woman, but she went under Iona for Barefoot Gen, Silent Mobius, and Lupin) than anything. Streamline's credits were very bad at their spelling. I believe Kirk Thornton was credited as "Kurk Thornton" on just about every single dub he was in for them. Bob Bergen was "Bob Bergin" for the Lupin TV show he bloody starred in. Lia Sargent was almost always "Lea." That was the weird thing about them. Their misspellings were often consistent.

I have no idea what happened, but I think Donald being credited as Diamond was a mistake.
millicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019   #22
millicent

Default Bodie Plecas

Quote:
Originally Posted by millicent View Post
Right? I was kinda thinking that maybe the screw-up started when they got Monkey and Hide confused--two glasses-wearing buddies with moles in the same place and all.
Think I figured out where (though not how) this all got started. At one point Natsuko asks Tatsuya (by bame) if he needs anything... Except it's not Tatsuya! It's Hide! So the actor jumps from Tatsuya to Hide in like less than a minute.

Speaking of Tatsuya...
Tatsuya

Don't know the voice at all, but it's the same as the second of Yakumo's co-workers, and Bodie Plecas is credited for both episodes.
Old 11-27-2019   #23
millicent

Default Newscaster

Newscaster

Hmm... While it's not a dead-on match for the other characters, I'm kinda just thinking this is just Bodie Plecas again. Granted, recording engineer Ernie Sheesley is credited for episode 2, so this theoretically could be an uncredited crew member. Still, it doesn't really have that "non-actor sound" to it. I'm thinking it just sounds different from Tatsuya and the co-worker due to the fact that it's so clearly a put-on newscaster-ly voice.
Old 11-27-2019   #24
millicent

Default Re: Bodie Plecas

Quote:
Think I figured out where (though not how) this all got started. At one point Natsuko asks Tatsuya (by bame) if he needs anything... Except it's not Tatsuya! It's Hide! So the actor jumps from Tatsuya to Hide in like less than a minute.
Hide: Bodie Plecas
Old 11-27-2019   #25
millicent

Default Other Tatsuya

Quote:
And now the other side of this screw-up:
Tatsuya: Hmm... I went with the last remaining name in the credits: recording engineer Ernie Sheesley back when I added this on CrystalAcids, though I do wonder if Sheesley just did smaller parts, and this is actually Plecas again. Does kind of sound in his ballpark. In any case, I'm gonna make the clip of the Other Hide first before I make a judgment.
Old 11-27-2019   #26
millicent

Default Re: Other Tatsuya

Quote:
And now the other side of this screw-up:
Tatsuya: Hmm... I went with the last remaining name in the credits: recording engineer Ernie Sheesley back when I added this on CrystalAcids, though I do wonder if Sheesley just did smaller parts, and this is actually Plecas again. Does kind of sound in his ballpark. In any case, I'm gonna make the clip of the Other Hide first before I make a judgment.
Hmm...
Hide then Tatsuya after: Hmm... Kinda thinking I botched it way back when with Sheesley and that there was only ever one Tatsuya, Bodie Plecas, and perhaps the double-casting is partly what got them confused. I don't think either here sounds like a non-actor, and both do kind of have that "I have to stay in this voice lest it start sounding like the other one" quality that happens with this sort of thing.

Edit: Changed "that there was only ever one Hide" to "that there was only ever one Tatsuya." Jeez Louise this is confusing...

Last edited by millicent; 11-27-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-27-2019   #27
millicent

Default The Other Coworker

The Other Coworker: Carl Macek

Alright, think I might watch episode 2 in its entirety to see if I missed any more Rik-isms, but I think that should do it.

Well, except one thing. Kind of an unusual request, but is it possible that we could change the character names for Yakumo's coworkers? While awareness has definitely changed in the time since and I would almost guarantee that Weisman and Jaffe would regret it now, but "transvestite" is (despite many not being aware of it) an outdated, offensive term with a lot of baggage. Granted, it is what they were called in the credits, and the Streamline dub for one actually has Yakumo use the term outright, but I feel like especially in a case like this where the characters are more described than named that it might be best to just avoid the term. Maybe just Coworker 1 and 2?
Old 11-27-2019   #28
Nightmare Crusher

Default Re: The Other Coworker

Quote:
The Other Coworker: Carl Macek

Alright, think I might watch episode 2 in its entirety to see if I missed any more Rik-isms, but I think that should do it.

Well, except one thing. Kind of an unusual request, but is it possible that we could change the character names for Yakumo's coworkers? While awareness has definitely changed in the time since and I would almost guarantee that Weisman and Jaffe would regret it now, but "transvestite" is (despite many not being aware of it) an outdated, offensive term with a lot of baggage. Granted, it is what they were called in the credits, and the Streamline dub for one actually has Yakumo use the term outright, but I feel like especially in a case like this where the characters are more described than named that it might be best to just avoid the term. Maybe just Coworker 1 and 2?
My personally philosophy is that stuff should be presented as it was, no matter how unfortunate, because it's important to acknowledge that stuff like the above example or this was very much a real part of life. But I won't die on this hill if it makes you uncomfortable.
Nightmare Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019   #29
millicent

Default Re: The Other Coworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
My personally philosophy is that stuff should be presented as it was, no matter how unfortunate, because it's important to acknowledge that stuff like the above example or this was very much a real part of life. But I won't die on this hill if it makes you uncomfortable.
I understand that logic. That having been said, to be perfectly frank, I am a queer individual and more personally relate to the toxicity of the term. Part of it to me is that those characters (and Mama) are actually not the most especially problematic characters in and of themselves (can't comment for the New Gen dub or the Japanese dialogue). I actually had forgotten about them and enjoyed them in and of themselves, and I was surprised at how the New Gen credits' use of transvestite (and the Streamline dub's use in dialogue) was really my main beef.

Mammy's name can't really be changed, and that character in and of itself is offensive. That's not quite the case with Yakumo's coworkers.
Old 11-27-2019   #30
millicent

Default Re: 3x3 Eyes: Streamline

Thank you. I really appreciate it.