Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Movie Discussion

Movie Discussion Discuss all things related to upcoming, latest and classic movies! Threads may contain SPOILERS!

Old 03-05-2022   #1
SupremeTarantulas

Default "Spider-Man: No Way Home" (2021)

C’mon BTVA let’s give thoughts on the biggest movie of 2021.

Last edited by TylerMirage; 03-10-2022 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Let's leave pandemic talk out of it for now, thanks. :)
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022   #2
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Default Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeTarantulas View Post
Címon BTVA letís give thoughts on the biggest movie of 2021.
All right, sure, let's discuss it. You go first.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022   #3
AppleRecords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
All right, sure, let's discuss it. You go first.
would...would I be able to start if that's ok...? I watched the movie last week, and it would be cool to talk about it...
AppleRecords. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022   #4
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRecords. View Post
would...would I be able to start if that's ok...? I watched the movie last week, and it would be cool to talk about it...
Yes, you can go first.
Old 03-11-2022   #5
AppleRecords.

Ok, So I never watched the other two spider-man movies. BUT I knew the premise. Thank you Spider-Man Wiki.

Also, SPOILERS UP AHEAD (Just in case):

One thing I very much disliked about this movie is how every character turns against Peter Parker. I HATE THOSE PLOT LINES. Whether it's a movie, a TV Show, or a Book (EX: Harry Potter Book 5). I HATE IT. I HATE IT SO MUCH .

I wish there was more moments of Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire. All 3 Spider Man's (BTW, I will NEVER call them sPiDeY. Spidey and His Amazing Friends RUINED that for me.) was probably the best part.

That whole time I was wondering when Spider-Man (Full suit) was CGI or real life...

There are times in the movie that make me so angry, I tear up, or a book (EX: When Umbridge banned Harry Potter from Quidditch. Passive-Agressiveness KILLS me), well, when Aunt May dies, along with a very burnt-up building, the FBI are trying to ARREST Peter Parker. WHAT!? But..uh...WHY!? UGGH I hated that! Also when J Jonah Jameson said

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Jonah Jameson
Let this show that wherever Spider Man goes, destruction follows.
THAT. Is when tears started to well up. ANGRY TEARS.

The movie was really good tho. Even when I talk about things that make me so angry I wanna cry, that, to me, is a good thing. Because that's how the movie is aiming for you to feel. Also, the ending? I don't really have anything to say on it, it was a twist, sort of. The "Ultimate Sacrifice". I like at least how it dosen't end in anyone dying, or that the protaganist (Some Language Arts 8th Grade grammar for you ) didn't die as "The Ultimate Sacrifice"

That's my opinion tho. Just wanted to get that out there.

what did you think? have any comments about my opinion?

Last edited by AppleRecords.; 03-13-2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-15-2022   #6
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Far From Home was the first movie I saw in theatres since Bad Boys For Life back in February of 2020. Literally 22 months, which is crazy, considering that for years I was throwing down cash at the movie theatre anywhere from 1-5 times a month. It was kind of nice to be back in that environment.

Definitely had some tears flowing at moments.

Flint Marko walking around in sand-form for the whole movie was just stupid.

Quote:
One thing I very much disliked about this movie is how every character turns against Peter Parker. I HATE THOSE PLOT LINES. Whether it's a movie, a TV Show, or a Book (EX: Harry Potter Book 5). I HATE IT. I HATE IT SO MUCH .
I agree that that's a trope I'm not overly fond of, but I feel like FFH didn't really walk that line. Maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy since I saw it, but does Ned turn against Peter? Does MJ? Does Aunt May? Does Happy (who was usually aloof or apathetic to Peter at the best of times)? Dr. Strange doesn't "turn against" Peter so much as he gets frustrated at Peter's actions. Even 2/3 of this school teachers don't turn against him. Sure, JJJ spins the narrative and basically turns the city against him, but the people who matter stick by Peter.
Old 03-15-2022   #7
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Ok, So I never watched the other two spider-man movies. BUT I knew the premise. Thank you Spider-Man Wiki.

Also, SPOILERS UP AHEAD (Just in case):

I wish there was more moments of Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire. All 3 Spider Man's (BTW, I will NEVER call them sPiDeY. Spidey and His Amazing Friends RUINED that for me.) was probably the best part.

That whole time I was wondering when Spider-Man (Full suit) was CGI or real life...

There are times in the movie that make me so angry, I tear up, or a book (EX: When Umbridge banned Harry Potter from Quidditch. Passive-Agressiveness KILLS me), well, when Aunt May dies, along with a very burnt-up building, the FBI are trying to ARREST Peter Parker. WHAT!? But..uh...WHY!? UGGH I hated that! Also when J Jonah Jameson said

THAT. Is when tears started to well up. ANGRY TEARS.

The movie was really good tho. Even when I talk about things that make me so angry I wanna cry, that, to me, is a good thing. Because that's how the movie is aiming for you to feel. Also, the ending? I don't really have anything to say on it, it was a twist, sort of. The "Ultimate Sacrifice". I like at least how it dosen't end in anyone dying, or that the protaganist (Some Language Arts 8th Grade grammar for you ) didn't die as "The Ultimate Sacrifice"

That's my opinion tho. Just wanted to get that out there.

what did you think? have any comments about my opinion?
I had to avoid news after Tobey and Andrew were confirmed to avoid Aunt Mayís death.

Unfortunately they had to change the concept and other things to make money so the scriptís a bit of a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
Far From Home was the first movie I saw in theatres since Bad Boys For Life back in February of 2020. Literally 22 months, which is crazy, considering that for years I was throwing down cash at the movie theatre anywhere from 1-5 times a month. It was kind of nice to be back in that environment.

Definitely had some tears flowing at moments.

Flint Marko walking around in sand-form for the whole movie was just stupid.

Just to clarify which of the 3 Spider-Man are you asking if it was CGI.

I agree that that's a trope I'm not overly fond of, but I feel like FFH didn't really walk that line. Maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy since I saw it, but does Ned turn against Peter? Does MJ? Does Aunt May? Does Happy (who was usually aloof or apathetic to Peter at the best of times)? Dr. Strange doesn't "turn against" Peter so much as he gets frustrated at Peter's actions. Even 2/3 of this school teachers don't turn against him. Sure, JJJ spins the narrative and basically turns the city against him, but the people who matter stick by Peter.

Iíve been back several times, next up is Morbius.

As someone who loves the good version of Sandman they way he got meh material as a whole annoyed me. 😒

Especially turning on Peter as thatís written so poorly. Thatís what happens when you rush movies for money and other reasons.
Old 03-15-2022   #8
AppleRecords.

The last movie I went to was Sonic The Hedgehog. Loved it. I'm a big sonic fan.

You are right, SupremeTarantulas. I feel some points in the story, EX: Peter trying to make the bad guys good, is overdone, and honestly didn't do anything for the story. Trying to make the bad guys good feels like a Disney Channel trope or something. It was really just some uncomfortable filler.
Old 03-15-2022   #9
The Doctor

Haven't been active here for months, since life stuff has kinda stopped me from having the energy/time, but can't help, but I kinda want to share my opinions in regards to this movie.

To be very frank right from the start, I never wanted a live-action Spider-Verse movie. I hate Spider-Verse as a concept, it doesn't fit the core of Spider-Man, the original comic book event is overrated and Marvel has been pushing it as "integral" element of Spidey mythos in recent years, which is something it shouldn't be. I also never needed the Raimi nostalgia stroked or ever see anything from the TASM movies again. My personal dream sequel to Far From Home would have been much more grounded "fugitive" type of story, where someone like Kraven the Hunter is coming after Peter in his more vulnerable state.

That being said, NWH did basically everything I was worried about as well as they could have been done. The internet hype of this being the best Spider-Man movie seems to be based more on said hype than anything else, but it would get decently high (probably in the fourth place behind Homecoming and the first two Raimi movies) in my ranking of the series. It is fun to see certain actors play their characters again (mainly Molina and Dafoe), the spectacle is entertaining and the movie does try to steer the series back to more classic Spider-Man tone/status quo at the end. I also think that Peter trying to help the villains was great, because that's the kind of guy who he is and, considering how the movie was kinda using the villains and their condition as a metaphor for mental illness and how often fiction frames people with mental illnesses as dangerous and deserving of their bad fate at the end, him succesfully curing them all was a positive message.

Side-note #1: Anyone else got a feeling that people making the movie had more love and reverence for the Raimi trilogy than the two TASM movies? It was subtle enough that it didn't come off as too obvious or mean-spirited, but it is kinda interesting how out of the villains the Raimi ones are treated with more pathos (even Sandman gets one throwaway line referencing his daughter), while the Lizard and Electro are basically treated as jokes, and even with the three Spider-Mans/Spider-Men Garfield is the butt of a joke the most often. Not really complaining, since I hate those movies, but it was still interesting.

Side-note #2: If you are the kind of person, who gets taken out of a story, if the inner-logic doesn't make 100% sense, this isn't a movie for you. I'm kinda in the middle, where in general I do think that story, characters and themes are more important than how many plot-holes you can list or the like, but the narrative still has to make sense and in this case it's right on the edge if it goes too far for me. Like, it would be so easy to tear apart how it makes no sense that a menory wipe spell meant for just a planet Earth in one specific Universe going wrong would somehow affect the whole Multiverse and how random it seems to be which characters get pulled to the MCU from the other movies or which point in their timeline. And please, don't say "It's magic, so it doesn't need to make sense", because that's just lazy
Old 03-16-2022   #10
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Haven't been active here for months, since life stuff has kinda stopped me from having the energy/time, but can't help, but I kinda want to share my opinions in regards to this movie.

To be very frank right from the start, I never wanted a live-action Spider-Verse movie. I hate Spider-Verse as a concept, it doesn't fit the core of Spider-Man, the original comic book event is overrated and Marvel has been pushing it as "integral" element of Spidey mythos in recent years, which is something it shouldn't be. I also never needed the Raimi nostalgia stroked or ever see anything from the TASM movies again. My personal dream sequel to Far From Home would have been much more grounded "fugitive" type of story, where someone like Kraven the Hunter is coming after Peter in his more vulnerable state.

That being said, NWH did basically everything I was worried about as well as they could have been done. The internet hype of this being the best Spider-Man movie seems to be based more on said hype than anything else, but it would get decently high (probably in the fourth place behind Homecoming and the first two Raimi movies) in my ranking of the series. It is fun to see certain actors play their characters again (mainly Molina and Dafoe), the spectacle is entertaining and the movie does try to steer the series back to more classic Spider-Man tone/status quo at the end. I also think that Peter trying to help the villains was great, because that's the kind of guy who he is and, considering how the movie was kinda using the villains and their condition as a metaphor for mental illness and how often fiction frames people with mental illnesses as dangerous and deserving of their bad fate at the end, him succesfully curing them all was a positive message.

Side-note #1: Anyone else got a feeling that people making the movie had more love and reverence for the Raimi trilogy than the two TASM movies? It was subtle enough that it didn't come off as too obvious or mean-spirited, but it is kinda interesting how out of the villains the Raimi ones are treated with more pathos (even Sandman gets one throwaway line referencing his daughter), while the Lizard and Electro are basically treated as jokes, and even with the three Spider-Mans/Spider-Men Garfield is the butt of a joke the most often. Not really complaining, since I hate those movies, but it was still interesting.

Side-note #2: If you are the kind of person, who gets taken out of a story, if the inner-logic doesn't make 100% sense, this isn't a movie for you. I'm kinda in the middle, where in general I do think that story, characters and themes are more important than how many plot-holes you can list or the like, but the narrative still has to make sense and in this case it's right on the edge if it goes too far for me. Like, it would be so easy to tear apart how it makes no sense that a menory wipe spell meant for just a planet Earth in one specific Universe going wrong would somehow affect the whole Multiverse and how random it seems to be which characters get pulled to the MCU from the other movies or which point in their timeline. And please, don't say "It's magic, so it doesn't need to make sense", because that's just lazy
Thereís rumors, just rumors mind you the original plan was to tie Kraven to TíChalla but Chadwick Boseman dying caused them to scrap that.

Raimi was a producer on NWH Home so stuff like Tobey surviving and the biasing was probably him with creative control/breathing down their necks.

Itís also unfortunately rushed as the multiverse conceit was to make money to accommodate the delay, so thatís the reason why stuff doesnít make sense as they used the first idea they had.

They didnít even have the climax planned for a while, which delayed the trailer.