Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Idea Input

Idea Input Share reactions on the latest BTVA Features or give us ideas on what you would like to see.

Old 10-20-2014   #1
Dogman15
Banned

Lightbulb Radio Plays and Audio Dramas

What's the BTVA policy on these? For example, Focus on the Family made a series of radio plays based on The Chronicles of Narnia, with full stereo audio, professional voice acting, and immersive sound design and orchestral music.

Sandi Patti was involved with two kids' albums in the early 1990s called The Friendship Company. In the first one, Andy Holmes was a guest as the voice of Gerbert. In the second album, "Open for Business", we had an all-star cast of Bill Farmer as Fergetti and Infield, Russi Taylor as Noodle, Jess Harnell as Beemer, and Jennifer Darling as Zig.

McDonald's released a CD (and possibly more than one, I don't know) on Kid Rhino called Ronald McDonald's Silly Sing Along, with Jack Doepke as Ronald, Russi Taylor as Birdie, Frank Welker as Grimace, CW Wolfe as Hamburglar, and Larry Moran as Mike the Microphone.

Is one major reason these things won't be added because for the most part they lack visual depictions of the characters for use on BTVA? Some of them, like Open For Business, have a picture of each character on the cover of the album. For any other characters we don't see, you could pull a picture from something else where they appear, or use a question mark.

If this topic has already been addressed elsewhere, I apologize, as I never saw it.

Last edited by TylerMirage; 04-07-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Dogman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014   #2
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Default Re: General question: Radio plays and audio dramas

This is definitely an interesting premise, Dogman. Although I cannot speak for the rest of the team, I feel that this is certainly a feature that could possibly maybe be added in the future (along with other "minor areas" like Toys/Action Figures, Commercial Narration, etc.) once the site is fleshed out more in the prominent sections.

We'll probably put this on the back-burner for now. I might even just transfer the idea to our "New Ideas" section for us admins so that we can keep it on record with some other things.
TylerMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014   #3
NCZ
Croissants

This is definitely an idea that's been floated around earlier on, but I think one key problem is that radio is a non-visual medium, and we're a visual site. Which is why we've kept it more in an idea box off to the side rather than making it an immediate priority to flesh out, versus other sections on the site which are visual in nature.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014   #4
Dogman15
Banned

TylerMirage's reply gives me hope. Maybe this can be a thing in the future. And rarely will a character in such a production have absolutely no visual depiction somewhere. Thanks for the response!
Dogman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #5
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Default Radio shows and dramas

Hey guys. Yeah, I know I said this before, but I really wanted to talk about creating a radio show section on this site.

Yes, I know a lot of shows have been wiped from existence or misplaced through the years, so that would make the completion of this section remote.

However, I personally think this sad fact shouldn't stop us from making the radio section of this site one that will make radio fans proud.

Yes, there are no character images, and that means the question mark images will be used frequently, but I think we should use something simpler. I think we should use this radio to indicate a radio performance:

If you need any help on this section, please feel free to contact me and I'll help you in finding as much information and performer pics as I can.

I know I've also said this before, but, please take this into consideration. I would immediately give up my spare time in order to help you with this section.

Take care, keep cool and thanks.
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #6
TeridaxXD001

Default Re: Radio Plays and Audio Dramas

I definitely support this idea. I also have something to add: cast albums. Like, musical albums where the singers are not merely singing, but acting as characters. For example, Pokémon Christmas Bash, or the countless book-and-record sets Disney has been producing since the 1940s, one of which was an adaptation of A Christmas Carol, notable for the debut of Alan Young (may he rest in peace) as Scrooge McDuck. I think that's significant enough to be added to the site.

On the subject of lack of pictures, that's not always the case. Like I said, many are books and records, and these books have illustrations. Other possibilities are characters depicted on the cover art.
TeridaxXD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019   #7
SCP21

Default Radio Drama Programs

Are there plans to add audio dramas that are both a podcast and on terrestrial radio to the site?

Contact Details:
Twitter: SCP21 | Skype: CyberMegatron
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/scp21
SCP21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
NCZ
Croissants

Hey there,

Unfortunately, as of right now this is beyond the scope of the site. Since the nature of the site focuses on visual media and still have a lot to do on that front, right now that's where our focus is. Not to say it'll never happen, but at this point in time we don't have plans for any new categories of media. Sorry about that, but the enthusiasm is appreciated.

Last edited by NCZ; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:46 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
TeridaxXD001

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
Hey there,

Unfortunately, as of right now this is beyond the scope of the site. Since the nature of the site focuses on visual media and still have a lot to do on that front, right now that's where our focus is. Not to say it'll never happen, but at this point in time we don't have plans for any new categories of media. Sorry about that, but the enthusiasm is appreciated.
Some audio dramas have accompanying illustrations and stuff, if released on CD or something. Really old radio shows, though, are almost guaranteed to have no visual respresentation of characters of any sort.

I’d love to have John Lithgow added to the Yoda page, though.
TeridaxXD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10
NCZ
Croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeridaxXD001 View Post
Some audio dramas have accompanying illustrations and stuff, if released on CD or something. Really old radio shows, though, are almost guaranteed to have no visual respresentation of characters of any sort.

I’d love to have John Lithgow added to the Yoda page, though.
Oh yeah, there are some titles that something can be done with visually, but it's a matter of first cataloguing and chronicling how many potential titles can or can't be added, how many of them do have visual representation and for which characters, and if enough verifiable information is out there. A lot of prep work would need to be done in order to even get started on rolling out a new section. For example, shorts, attractions, and commercials were not originally part of the site's coverage, but were all implemented once it was felt and researched that a good breadth of content was available and ready for addition. Adding a new section opens a lot of doors but it's also exactly because of that that we have to weigh things carefully and recognize that it is a big and ongoing commitment to be responsible for.