Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training

Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training A place for aspiring voice over talents to exchange tips and ideas, share stories, post demo and recording samples, and other training sources.

Old 09-20-2011   #11
Stingervoice

Default Re: A quick look at my home studio - Stingervoice

You guys are basically saying exactly what the pros say about getting into VA work. I have never taken an acting class....which may be come back to haunt me lol. I am saving up some money to start VO lessons, however, I kinda live in the middle of nowhere, so it's hard to find acting classes out here, but I'm always on the lookout! I am waiting until I get some VO lessons under my belt before I make my real demo though for sure.
Stingervoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #12
Pandanimation9

A few years ago, when I was 13 or 14, I was going to sign with an acting and modeling talent agency in my town and they were going to give me a portfolio and stuff (it's probably the only one around where I live) but it was really expensive to sign with them so my mom said no. Since then, I've only been in school productions and tried out for local stuff (of which I've gotten callbacks but had to turn them down since the only theatres in my town are too far from my house). I just wish my school could do UIL One Act but as my school's mainly academic, that would take too much time out of school. Ah well, at least with this stuff and classes I'm getting some practice.

@Stingervoice: So, how'd you get in then?

Last edited by Pandanimation9; 09-20-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Pandanimation9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #13
Sarge Ray

I guess that's one reason I got shot down: quality. I don't have a lot of cash on me, nor do I have the resources. Most of the stuff that Stingervoice suggested was freakin' expensive and top-notch material.

Still, I at least have the potential for VO work. Some people say that, even though I've never been in acting classes, I could pull some pretty passable material.
Sarge Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #14
SCP21

See I cannot afford classes and on top of it I live where the economy is dead and there's little voice acting work. So I have been online only for the most part. I want to do a demo but want to wait until I can get a voice coach in a pro VA.

Contact Details:
Twitter: SCP21 | Skype: CyberMegatron
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/scp21
SCP21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #15
Stingervoice

Well Pandanimation, I have been making up random voices since I was a kid. I just recently decided I would make my YouTube video, and from that I have been very lucky to have some people contact me with work. I did some voice overs for an Iphone App company called Mojovi. They were my first paying clients. From there I had some friends pass on my business cards to their friends, and now I am working for a company called "Themeparkology", they make (Fan-made) documentaries about theme parks. Word of mouth is really what is launching my career the most.
Old 09-20-2011   #16
Stingervoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP21 View Post
See I cannot afford classes and on top of it I live where the economy is dead and there's little voice acting work. So I have been online only for the most part. I want to do a demo but want to wait until I can get a voice coach in a pro VA.
I hear you man. :[ I live in a tiiiny tiny town in central Cali. There is nothing out here. I am gonna start looking for acting classes once I'm done with my current semester of college, but there is nothing near me. I'll probably have to drive like over an hour if I wanna take acting classes. Thank god for the internet, or I would never have gotten started! lol
Old 09-20-2011   #17
SCP21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingervoice View Post
I hear you man. :[ I live in a tiiiny tiny town in central Cali. There is nothing out here. I am gonna start looking for acting classes once I'm done with my current semester of college, but there is nothing near me. I'll probably have to drive like over an hour if I wanna take acting classes. Thank god for the internet, or I would never have gotten started! lol
Yeah I am too looking for acting courses. I live in Michigan where nothing resides lol. I mostly do fandubs, audio plays, jumping into some anime audio plays, and mostly Transformers as that is my specialty. But I still try to get into it. I do podcasts as well and do them on there as well as the podcast network station spots.

Contact Details:
Old 09-21-2011   #18
Stingervoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP21 View Post
Yeah I am too looking for acting courses. I live in Michigan where nothing resides lol. I mostly do fandubs, audio plays, jumping into some anime audio plays, and mostly Transformers as that is my specialty. But I still try to get into it. I do podcasts as well and do them on there as well as the podcast network station spots.
Sounds like were in the same boat, haha.

As far as Voices.com is concerned, I would love to use it, but I just can't really afford the fees right now. It seems to be a decent way to get some work, but like Foxwolf said, I don't think you're gonna get any big jobs from it. I hear people sell their work for dirt cheap, and they make it hard for others to get work. I will probably give it a try once I can afford it though.
YouTube Channel: Check it out!
Facebook Fan-Page: Click Me!
Email: Stingervoice@gmail.com
Old 09-21-2011   #19
SCP21

I tried and more often than not people are swarmed on those auditions making it difficult to the point I was there 3 months and auditioned for almost everything I could and got no responses.

Contact Details:
Old 09-21-2011   #20
Foxwolf
Administrator

I think another way to get better is to find places where you can volunteer for plays or theater productions. Sure, there won't be any pay, but the experience would be valuable in itself. And I'm always reading how voice actors head onto the stage and find themselves better actors after the fact (I think David Kaye is one of them. His Beast Wars Megatron sounds like he stepped right out of the theater - but SCP21 would know this better than anyone ).