Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training

Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training A place for aspiring voice over talents to exchange tips and ideas, share stories, post demo and recording samples, and other training sources.

Old 12-01-2015   #1
Xinsden

Question How do I optimize my Yeti Blue Mic's recording capability?

I scored a role not too long ago as a character and I went back to practice recording and found that my mic kind of crackled when I raised my voice somewhat... I don't want to let down the project manager at all, or get swapped out bc I can't record right...

...So that leaves me wondering... For you all who have a yeti blue mic (Silver), what is the best recording setup you have for yours?
Xinsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015   #2
Purplecrayon

Lightbulb Re: How do I optimize my Yeti Blue Mic's recording capability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinsden View Post
I scored a role not too long ago as a character and I went back to practice recording and found that my mic kind of crackled when I raised my voice somewhat... I don't want to let down the project manager at all, or get swapped out bc I can't record right...

...So that leaves me wondering... For you all who have a yeti blue mic (Silver), what is the best recording setup you have for yours?
I have the same microphone,and mine doesn't crackle. (I don't do much editing.) How old is it? It might be time to get a new one. Also, if you don't use a pop filter, accidentally getting small bits of spit can wear on the mic.

It might be possible to edit those out, depending on what you mean by "crackles". For editing, I use audacity. It's free. The only thing I do for my auditions is remove noise, and balance the gain. (I've found that off-centering the gain knob on the mic or in audacity (preferably the mic) to the left can fix spikes in audio. To remove that "fuzzyness" from air around your mic, I record a few seconds of silence, go to effects > noise removal > get noise profile. Then, I record everything I want, select it all, and then go to effects > noise removal > and then click ok.

Hope this helps!
Purplecrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015   #3
MrCG35

Default Re: How do I optimize my Yeti Blue Mic's recording capability?

I'm using Audacity, too, and I had a crackling problem. It was the playback that was creating the problem for me--I had to disable and re-enable my playback device because I kept getting an error message when it tried to play through the right speaker. The crackling went away in my recording after I resolved that error message. Hope this helps!
MrCG35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016   #4
JaySys

Default Re: How do I optimize my Yeti Blue Mic's recording capability?

Try turning the Gain all the way down, and also change your USB cable. I used to have a crackle issue with one of my mics, turned out the cable was bad and super loose. I have the blue Yeti blackout edition and have had zero issues since I changed my cable.
JaySys is offline   Reply With Quote