Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training

Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training A place for aspiring voice over talents to exchange tips and ideas, share stories, post demo and recording samples, and other training sources.

Old 10-12-2011   #31
Lapianoman

Default Re: A quick look at my home studio - Stingervoice

I've heard some good quality recordings from people using the Samson C01U, which you can get on eBay for $40-50. Since it's USB, you don't need a preamp & audio interface to connect to your PC, saving a bunch of cash.

It's important not to forget that your room can effect the quality of your recordings as much as your mic quality. Closets are great, because the clothes act as high & mid frequency sound absorbers. I use moving blankets hung on PVC pipe frames behind me when I record to keep my room's reverb controlled. I also try to do my recording at night when all the pets & outside traffic are quieter.
Lapianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #32
Foxwolf
Administrator

I really like the sound of your cost-efficient recording environment Lapianoman. And the timeframe in which you record. You've made it obvious that there are soooo many factors that can affect the overall recording. Great tips!
Old 10-12-2011   #33
Lapianoman

Thanks Foxwolf! I know how it is starting off when you don't have a bunch of money to spend. It's all about doing the best with what you have & spending wisely when you decide to upgrade. Most of what I've learned about recording I got from research on the internet, like this article on mic technique.

I'm happy with my setup, but of course there are things I'd love to get, foremost being an "inexpensive" but good quality preamp. I'm saving my pennies for a Golden Age Projects Pre-73, since I've heard so many good things about it.
Old 10-12-2011   #34
Stingervoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwolf View Post
I really like the sound of your cost-efficient recording environment Lapianoman. And the timeframe in which you record. You've made it obvious that there are soooo many factors that can affect the overall recording. Great tips!
Some good things to consider for that aspect are what type of mics you should use, what your environment is, (small, large, carpet ETC...), what software you are using, and what the level of outside/ambient noise is where you are recording.

I use a condenser (AKA shotgun mic) mic in my studio because it is much easier to work with in a small environment (they tend to pick up less echo since they are only recording in one direction), as opposed to a dynamic (AKA omni-directional) mic, which can pick up sounds from any direction. I prefer the Condenser mic instead of my Dynamic mic with my current setup but most people will have to find their own preference.

As for USB mics, I like them but they can't quite deliver the same quality as a mic run on a pre-amp (referring mainly to professional quality). That being said however, they are substantially cheaper than the pre-amp route, while still offering very good quality.

I know people who record in a big open rooms and still have good recording quality, but it all depends on your preference. Since I end up yelling in a lot of the voice acting gigs, I prefer my studio (closet) with my sound dampening (blankets + pillows = win) to keep the outside noise out, and the inside noise in.

I have noticed a fairly large quality upgrade in my recordings since I got better recording software(A singer I know says that for him, high-quality sound recording software is much more important than the place where he is recording). Don't get me wrong, I know good software is not cheap but if you can get something decent, I have seen a decent change in the quality of my recordings (refer to my original post for a look at a few different types of software). I personally use Adobe Soundbooth but I am hoping to upgrade to Pro Tools soon.

I am lucky (well sorta) to live in a very small town. There is no air traffic, very little ground traffic (the occasional car), and almost no outside noise. I leave my windows open all the time and it doesn't affect my recording.

The best way to see what ambient noise is picked up by your mic is....record. Listen back to your recordings with a fine-toothed comb and see if there is any unwanted ambient noise. If you have a *buzz* sound or even some static, sometimes turning off some of the electronics in your house (such as an air conditioner, fans in your room, and occasionally, lights) can help fix this.

Hope that all makes sense! :p
YouTube Channel: Check it out!
Facebook Fan-Page: Click Me!
Email: Stingervoice@gmail.com

Last edited by Stingervoice; 10-12-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Stingervoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #35
Foxwolf
Administrator

Great insight to your personal recording as always Stinger
Old 10-14-2011   #36
Stingervoice

Talking Re: A quick look at my home studio - Stingervoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwolf View Post
Great insight to your personal recording as always Stinger
I will (HOPEFULLY!) be upgrading my studio with some fairly high-end gear (Basically the gear that is just starting to be considered professional grade) soon (in the next month or so). I'll make sure to update this thread with the new gear ASAP.

Also, if it's wrong to be THIS EXCITED over a mic, I don't wanna be right! rofl
Old 10-14-2011   #37
Lapianoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingervoice View Post
I will (HOPEFULLY!) be upgrading my studio with some fairly high-end gear (Basically the gear that is just starting to be considered professional grade) soon (in the next month or so). I'll make sure to update this thread with the new gear ASAP.

Also, if it's wrong to be THIS EXCITED over a mic, I don't wanna be right! rofl
What mic are you getting?
Old 10-14-2011   #38
Stingervoice

Talking Re: A quick look at my home studio - Stingervoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapianoman View Post
What mic are you getting?
Right now I am looking at the Rode NTG3 Condenser Shotgun. I looks reaaaally nice. It is the little brother of the Sennheiser MKH 416 P 48 U 3 Shotgun mic and I have heard they are actually very similar in quality.
Old 10-14-2011   #39
Lapianoman

Niiiice! I'm going to have to get some jobs that pay before investing in anything like that!

I am a bit surprised you're going with a shotgun mic, since you mentioned how quiet it is where you live. Usually they're only needed for noisy environments. What made you choose it?
Old 10-14-2011   #40
Stingervoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapianoman View Post
Niiiice! I'm going to have to get some jobs that pay before investing in anything like that!

I am a bit surprised you're going with a shotgun mic, since you mentioned how quiet it is where you live. Usually they're only needed for noisy environments. What made you choose it?
I have a condenser mic and a dynamic mic currently. It is very quiet where I live but my dynamic mic just does not sound as good to me as the condenser does (although that could realistically be that it isn't that great of a mic). Just because I use the condenser more, I am looking to buy a shotgun mic for now. My dynamic mic just sounds...kinda muddy. I will for sure get a dynamic mic (a better one) in the future but for now, the condenser just produces a higher quality sound.

From what I know, the shotgun mics aren't only for noisy environments. The shotguns tend to be more accurate with a slightly colder sound (if that makes sense). The dynamic mics give more of a rich, warm sound. I enjoy the accuracy and quality that the condensers give, personally.

I hope that makes sense, lol. :p

Last edited by Stingervoice; 10-15-2011 at 12:12 AM.