Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Anime

Anime Discuss everything in the world of Anime here.

Old 02-01-2017   #1
SNaG

Default Gintama Ocean Dub

For those of you who don't know, Crunchyroll dropped the first thirteen episodes of the third season of Gintama dubbed today, and plans on doing so for the whole third season for the next few weeks. It is indeed an Ocean dub.

I don't know if/when I will have time to rewatch the whole season, though since I consider Gintama (2015) to be the best in the series so far I probably can. I only re-watched the first two episodes as of now. I enjoyed the dub a lot, to me the standout was Michael Daingerfield as Gintoki by far, I was pretty impressed by him. I've said several times that a voice actor for Gintoki needs a drawling baritone but have the ability to shift pitch and tone ridiculously and often, and I feel Michael does a good job of it with the first two episodes. Gintoki plays both a deadpan straight man as well as the main driver of comedy in those episode so I felt that was a solid showcase of his talent. The first two episodes don't have many lines aside from the Yorozuya, but I was generally pleased with the other dub castings. I'll have to watch more to make more formative opinions of the non-Yorozuya characters though. I'm most eager to hear more of Matt Ellis's Katsura, which I consider to be one of Akira Ishida's very best roles.

I'm a little mixed on Kagura, Otose and Hasegawa though, their voices sound a tad off but not completely off the mark, so I could probably warm to them.

All in all, while I would say it is good and I liked it, it's not a game changer as far as dubs go... yet? One thing to keep in mind is that comparing them to sub voices in the same episode is a tad harsh, considering that by this time the seiyuus had dozens to hundreds of episodes and at least a movie to grow into their characters, which always helps a performance. I hope that this dub can continue and these VAs can do the same.

I wonder why they went with the 2015 one though? I read some speculation from others that Sentai still has the license to the original series but I was pretty sure they let the license expire after their dub of the first movie bombed?
SNaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017   #2
huzaifa_ahmed
Banned

Default Gintama has a dub. By Ocean. It is awesome.

Seeing there isn't a profile page for this show, & that this thing was practically vaporware in the vein of Ocean Kai & World Trigger...here's a thread about this show.

I hadn't read the comics in ages, never seen the show...I just couldn't believe the CRTC listing, & it still blows my mind that there is an ACTRA-contracted dub, & it has been released. In all honesty, my assumption was that after FUNiRoll, any dub there might've been would've been a common non-union Texas dub, as the expenses would've been ~30% of CR's dub. & what existed of the Ocean dub would've been scrapped. I'm so, so thankful that it exists. I'll check this out, although I may be like...100+ episodes behind. I stopped at..volume 10? Anyhow, just...all parties & powers involved have my utmost respect.
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #3
Ichigo341578926

Default Re: Gintama Ocean Dub

I'm still curious who voiced the characters whose voices weren't announced but showed up in those 13 episodes. I think Henpeita Takechi might of been voiced by French Tickner, but I can't tell for sure. Same goes with Ayame Sarutobi, I think she might've been Ashleigh Ball, but I'm still not sure. Anyway, I'm loving the dub so far!!
Ichigo341578926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #4
Ichigo341578926

And I'm more certain of these ones than I was the other two, but I think Azumi (or Kenou Agou couldn't figure out which is the correct name) is being voiced by Michael Dobson, and that Kurogoma Katsuo is being voiced by Brian Drummond.
Old 02-03-2017   #5
1dbad

As a big fan of Ocean, I'm always excited to hear they're dubbing something. This case even more so than usual, since it's something other than a toyetic anime! Some of the names I'm seeing are making me happy too. (like Janyse Jaud )

It is weird they started where they did though. I hope they're able to go back and do the earlier stuff at some point. Hopefully this dub will be a success! I plan on checking out an episode or two, but I think I'll wait on watching more until I catch up on the earlier stuff.
1dbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #6
Autovolt

Apparently Sam Vincent and Kirby Morrow are in this dub voicing the male versions of Saachan and Tsukuyo.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #7
Ichigo341578926

Do you know which one's which? I haven't watched that part of the dub yet.
Old 02-03-2017   #8
Autovolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigo341578926 View Post
Do you know which one's which? I haven't watched that part of the dub yet.
Sam is Saachan and Kirby is Tsukuyo.

Sam uses his Tiera Erde voice while Kirby uses a gruffer voice than he's usually known for.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #9
huzaifa_ahmed
Banned

Addressing concerns as to the dub starting so late in: this is a 300+ episode show. There is already a large audience invested in it - that's why it has the dub budget it has, as a huge exception to current dubs. It wouldnt be worth it for them to start off from the beginning - those episodes are not relevant, & the dub wouldnt be relevant enough to build the steam necessary to justify the cost of dubbing the next 300+ episodes. Showcasing the latest episodes is a good idea.

I am quite certain there are either plans to dub, or an existing dub of, the earliest episodes. They just started off showcasing the latest ones to match the audience that justified the insane cost of this dub in the first place. A much more meager example would be that JJBA test dub, which began with Part 3.

This isnt comparable to any of FUNi's simuldubs, those are churned out quickly after subtitled release, for much cheaper as there's a small audience. It's always awkward adding/switching to new productions, but those productions are always going to start with most relevant pieces (see the 4Kids->FUNi One Piece shift).
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017   #10
SNaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa_ahmed View Post
Addressing concerns as to the dub starting so late in: this is a 300+ episode show. There is already a large audience invested in it - that's why it has the dub budget it has, as a huge exception to current dubs. It wouldnt be worth it for them to start off from the beginning - those episodes are not relevant, & the dub wouldnt be relevant enough to build the steam necessary to justify the cost of dubbing the next 300+ episodes. Showcasing the latest episodes is a good idea.

I am quite certain there are either plans to dub, or an existing dub of, the earliest episodes. They just started off showcasing the latest ones to match the audience that justified the insane cost of this dub in the first place. A much more meager example would be that JJBA test dub, which began with Part 3.

This isnt comparable to any of FUNi's simuldubs, those are churned out quickly after subtitled release, for much cheaper as there's a small audience. It's always awkward adding/switching to new productions, but those productions are always going to start with most relevant pieces (see the 4Kids->FUNi One Piece shift).
Hmm, not sure I agree with your point entirely here.

Gintama, while not an obscure anime (generally most people who have seen it love it), is not a mega hit on the levels of many of its companion series in WSJ. The cancelled localization of the manga after a decent number of volumes and failed attempts beforehand to get it off the ground outside of Japan shows the demand for Gintama hasn't been always huge.

This dub is pretty much only capable of attracting existing Gintama fans who are fans of dubs; while this is merely speculation, I can't imagine that's a large number.

Logically following from that, this dub won't attract almost anyone new to the series, just some VO fans and the speculated small intersection between dub fans and Gintama fans. There are very few people who would sit through subs for 250+ episodes and a movie in order to get a chance to listen to a dub. By that point, most people would become very attached to the sub voices anyway.

Moreover, Gintama, in general, is a hard sell. "Hey, this is a show about pure comedy that's 300+ episodes but most people don't really love it love it until 50 episodes in, have fun!"

And while Gintama's plot doesn't take center stage every episode, a number of characters, settings, jokes/gags, etc have been introduced in those hundreds of episodes.

Sure, maybe the original series isn't as relevant, but at the very least, you have the opportunity to have a broader audience. Most people don't like picking up shows so far into their run, Gintama may be episodic at times but it's not Seinfeld.

Also, a couple quick notes to some of the examples you cited, as I'm not sure they're especially relevant here.

The 4Kids-Funi shift on One Piece: the thing is that 4Kids had already dubbed the series up to a point for TV and Funi picked it up from there, around Skypeia IIRC. The dub was a fair bit behind by the TV show when they switched hands (about 150 episodes behind or so), and while they obviously dubbed the right episodes for TV first to continue the story, Funi got to work on dubbing the show from the very beginning instead of keeping up or something, which is ultimately different from here.

The Stardust Crusaders test dub: While Gintama (2015) could be considered a testing ground, the end strategy is ultimately different. Only the first few episodes (I think even before they meet Polnareff, though he's present in a preview) were dubbed before Viz focused on the first series. Here, Crunchyroll/Ocean are doing the whole of the latest season first... Which isn't a good idea, because the last 20ish episodes have intense ramifications on the whole series. Can you imagine if someone dropped you in the middle of LotR Return of the King without any knowledge of the first two books/movies? It's kinda like that (except with more poop/barf jokes).

I want this dub to succeed, as it sounds really good, and I do think that Gintama 2015 is better than all preceding Gintama. But I don't agree that it was a good decision to start from there.

(Sorry if this post comes across as antagonistic, not my intention).

Last edited by SNaG; 02-03-2017 at 09:21 PM.
SNaG is offline   Reply With Quote