Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Anime

Anime Discuss everything in the world of Anime here.

Old 11-30-2019   #51
IMB

Default Re: Gintama Ocean Dub

Ugh...
IMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019   #52
SNaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMB View Post
I saw that. I'm not sure how to take that. On the one hand, the obvious negative interpretation is "crap it's not Ocean." But you could be charitable and say "maybe he's being coy." We'll see tomorrow... I'm being generous when I think "if they don't say no, it's still possible."

https://streamable.com/ekjrp
SNaG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019   #53
SNaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by snag View Post
i saw that. I'm not sure how to take that. On the one hand, the obvious negative interpretation is "crap it's not ocean." but you could be charitable and say "maybe he's being coy." we'll see tomorrow... I'm being generous when i think "if they don't say no, it's still possible."
hahahahahaha it's not ocean

i have no idea what group it is

it's terrible

they can't pronounce gintoki correctly

there are no credits

god **** it

Edit: Tired but these are not seasoned dubbers, they speak too fast

Gintoki is passable
Shinpachi is pretty.... nasal and annoying. It can be hard to get Shinpachi right but Daisuke Sakaguchi and Cole Howard did.

Last edited by SNaG; 12-01-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-01-2019   #54
IMB

Canadian VAs aren't allowed to reprise roles, so I'm not surprised. This is the kind of thing that would happen to Gin-san.

My shot in the dark (I haven't heard any of it yet) guess is that it's another Miami dub. That would fit the alleged wonky performances, questionable pronunciations, no recognizable voices and TV Tokyo's other Hulu-exclusive dub.
Old 12-01-2019   #55
SNaG

Quote:
Canadian VAs aren't allowed to reprise roles, so I'm not surprised. This is the kind of thing that would happen to Gin-san.

My shot in the dark (I haven't heard any of it yet) guess is that it's another Miami dub. That would fit the alleged wonky performances, questionable pronunciations, no recognizable voices and TV Tokyo's other Hulu-exclusive dub.
Well that's just dandy. The Ocean dub was a real gem and now we've ended up with this.... Unideal situation, to put in charitably.

Old 12-01-2019   #56
IMB

I obviously can't be certain, but I've read chatter (jokes?) about this being from Singapore? I highly doubt that. There hasn't been an anime dub recorded there in over 10 years. The reportedly localised dialogue makes me think it's not a Hong Kong production either. They know how to say zura.
Old 12-01-2019   #57
SNaG

Quote:
I obviously can't be certain, but I've read chatter (jokes?) about this being from Singapore? I highly doubt that. There hasn't been an anime dub recorded there in over 10 years. The reportedly localised dialogue makes me think it's not a Hong Kong production either. They know how to say zura.
While it's not impossible for it to be from Singapore, the chatter online about Singapore just seem to be errant guesses about where the dub was recorded, probably based off of limited knowledge of Animax and Odex.

My initial guess is that it's not them, and its simply because of the actual dubbing quality. People are in a real hurry to fit the lines in mouthflaps so they speak very hurriedly. Even Gintoki, one of the better voices, is delivering lines in a very rushed style. I plan to go through this series and make clips and all that jazz (God help me, at least doing that for Ocean was FUN) but here's an idea of what I mean. It's certainly not Big Green level, but the hurried delivery brought that to mind.

EDIT: OH MY GOD THEY CALL ZURA COBRA WHAT FRESH HELL IS THIS??????????????????????????????

Last edited by SNaG; 12-01-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2019   #58
IMB

Apparently a narrator reads the untranslated text. Captain Tsubasa's dub, which was recorded in Miami, does that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNaG View Post
EDIT: OH MY GOD THEY CALL ZURA COBRA WHAT FRESH HELL IS THIS??????????????????????????????
One could say it's even absurd.
Old 12-01-2019   #59
SNaG

Quote:
Apparently a narrator reads the untranslated text. Captain Tsubasa's dub, which was recorded in Miami, does that.

One could say it's even absurd.
The sad part is this dub is worse than that spoof. It sounds like legit Chaos Wars.

Old 12-01-2019   #60
whyofbladez

I predicted that this would happen; all the same I'm still angry. It almost feels like there's some large prank that all the dubbing companies are pulling on fans.

Beyond just Ocean constantly being shafted; it's really annoying to see how much dub cast replacements have increased in the past two years (Beyblade Burst Turbo, Yo-Kai Watch, Takagi-san) when it seemed that those days were largely past us. I've stated this on the anime dub subreddit, but I feel another reason for the dub hate from subtitle purists is how constantly recasting would happen. Japan can maintain the same voice cast for a series for over 4 decades, but keeping the same cast in English is a Manhattan project.

From what I can tell, the new dub seems to be a Miami dub (awkward voice quality, similar poor scripting and pronunciations, reading out untranslated signs). I remember one of the voice actors for the original dub of "A.I.C.O.", claiming on reddit that the bad quality of the dub was the fault of Netflix using only the first takes of the sessions. Given what other recent Miami anime dubs we have to compare from the same company ("Captain Tsubasa" and presumably this) - I'm noticing a pattern of incompetence that can't be pinned on Netflix.

I'm in no way blaming the actors, but the voice directors and localizers are another story; one can attribute this to them mainly working on Spanish language dubs. This is a similar pattern shown in Ruben Arvizu-directed dubs such as "Genma Wars" and "Ah My Buddha" (where you can hear the likes of Wendee Lee, Bryce Papenbrook and Richard Epcar giving performances akin to "A.I.C.O."). There are differences in how dubs are approached in each language, applying any voice acting traditions used normally in another language isn't likely to work for another.
whyofbladez is offline   Reply With Quote