Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2016   #1
SonofWat2

Default Lisa Ortiz is the new director for Pokemon

I found out on her and Miss Schroeder's FB page that she's directing the dub.

Tomorrow is my day and my wind will blow big and strong!!!
Old 03-05-2016   #2
Dr.Who
Banned

Default Re: Lisa Ortiz is the new director for Pokemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWat2 View Post
I found out on her and Miss Schroeder's FB page that she's directing the dub.
We already knew this, but all I can say is, I expect nothing will change about the dub's current status. It also highlights an issue I have with the way TPCi treated/treat several actors and staff, but that's another story. My opinion about the dub is best expressed in a petition I signed in my signature, honestly.
Old 03-05-2016   #3
SteelEthlan

I undoubtedly get what you're going for, and as she listens to what Michael J. Haigney was telling her to do which ones and it worked back then when 4Kids actually put effort to make it "commendable" even though they clearly omitted most of these Japanese contents that we may never see.

Granted, they aren't that perfect either, nor following to the manga, but at the very least they were giving them clear directions without straining themselves in terms of vocal, something TPCi did no better.

If Lisa do the job decent as she had the expertise in said acting and performance, it'll turn quite ok and maybe better than these previous know-lesser voice directors, that really failed to live up on what Michael J. Haigney did.
Old 03-06-2016   #4
Dr.Who
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelEthlan View Post
I undoubtedly get what you're going for, and as she listens to what Michael J. Haigney was telling her to do which ones and it worked back then when 4Kids actually put effort to make it "commendable" even though they clearly omitted most of these Japanese contents that we may never see.

Granted, they aren't that perfect either, nor following to the manga, but at the very least they were giving them clear directions without straining themselves in terms of vocal, something TPCi did no better.

If Lisa do the job decent as she had the expertise in said acting and performance, it'll turn quite ok and maybe better than these previous know-lesser voice directors, that really failed to live up on what Michael J. Haigney did.
My logic is if it's been almost 10 years now as well as TPCi having 3 different voice directors already (Ortiz being their 4th one now from XYZ015 onwards), and the current dub crew managing to somehow get progressively worse at dubbing the Anime during that time on all fronts (voice acting aside, which I think has gotten worse and worse regardless), why should I expect anything different from Lisa's handling of it? I don't doubt she's talented at all...the crew she's working with, however, I frankly do. It's beyond reparable in my book, until we get a new crew eventually, as was the case with Pokemon: Origins- those guys, I can see doing a good job. Maybe even a great job...but the current crew? No.

4Kids obviously weren't perfect (numerous edits + errors), but honestly, I think 4Kids were very good when compared to TPCi in terms of dubbing the Pokemon Anime. 4Kids never replaced as much of the Japanese music as TPCi has been doing since late into BW to the present day of XYZ, their intro and ending themes were at least 30 seconds longer in terms of length, and the script...let's put it this way. Ash didn't have dumb slang and Team Rocket didn't rhyme or use alliterations all the time under 4Kids, but TPCi has made this a serious issue with the way they speak now even being annoying beyond words. James Carter Cathcart can't write at all on his own, I'm sorry, I wish they'd get a new script writer: he even on record during DP said he thinks, "The Japanese Team Rocket is not funny at all." No one from 4Kids ever went that far, ever. I should also add that 4Kids kept the Japanese music intact in Movies 4-8, but TPCi since Movies 17-18 are now doing what 4Kids did in Movies 1-3 in terms of replacing a vast majority of the Japanese BGM, so they're literally doing the reverse.

As for not following the manga...um, that has nothing to do with either of the dubbers...TPC Japan makes the Anime, so...you'd have to take that up with them.

I should add 4Kids didn't always omit the Japanese culture, though: heck, 4Kids even kept the rice balls/onigiri intact several times, despite the donut/eclair/sandwiches they made in other instances. Not to mention they even kept the Japanese ending for the 6th Movie intact with the English and Japanese singers doing a duet together. TPCi has never, ever done that...and yet, they're TPCi, which is incredible.

I sincerely doubt it: I honestly think there's no salvaging that crew with this particular show. Ortiz can only do so much, but when several characters' voices are flat-out miscasts, there's no saving it. I wish we'd see another crew change eventually, honestly.

(Not knocking your opinion, buddy, just saying what I've been seeing over the last few years- I don't honestly really have many high hopes for this.)

Last edited by Dr.Who; 03-06-2016 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2016   #5
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

No more of this TPCI stuff in every single thread/comment section. Once is fine. Every thread not so much.
Closed Thread