Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Anime

Anime Discuss everything in the world of Anime here.

Old 06-08-2012   #1
cardboardwalk

Default Your First Anime

This is the thread discussing your introduction to the world of Anime/Japanese cartoons/japanimation/a gift for your brother because grown ups don't watch cartoons! My goodness that joke was pretentious. Anyway Lets get this topic started! It can be the first anime you saw or owned but be sure to specify!

My first anime was Super Book ( In both respects ) It was an anime retelling the stories from the Bible from the point of view of 2 kids and there toy robot who became a real robot when their time traveling Bible AKA TARDIS took them... uhh back in time, to the days of the Bible! Apparently it was made with the idea of starting christian converts in Japan, because you know people are most often converted by cartoon shows.... IT COULD HAPPEN!

Anyway discuss!
cardboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013   #2
Trami0501
Banned

Default Re: Your First Anime

What about "Ranma 1/2"?
Trami0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #3
TheVengeanceKnight

Naruto.

*dodges any incoming tomatoes, chairs, and tables thrown at me*
TheVengeanceKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #4
NCZ
Eh? Char? Don't know him.

I don't remember what the absolute first was, but I recall Hamtaro, Sonic X, Pokemon, Dragon Ball GT, and Beyblade as being some of the earliest anime I watched. I definitely remember that as a kid, I was going on the Internet and watching fansubs of the original Japanese cut of Sonic X in addition to the butchered 4Kids dub on TV. Good times.

As I got older and into more shonen type stuff, it was Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, and Inuyasha that helped me break in.

Last edited by NCZ; 03-18-2013 at 11:11 AM.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #5
Blair

The Mysterious Cities of Gold

I remember being gripped to the story, hoping that they would finally find the city and being disappointed by the end of many that it was still not found. (I was only six... kids that age want everything RIGHT NOW! lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVengeanceKnight View Post
Naruto.

*dodges any incoming tomatoes, chairs, and tables thrown at me*
I really liked Naruto... far more than the Dragonball franchise which went on FOR-EH-VER as the huge craze in North America.

Last edited by Blair; 03-18-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added reply
Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #6
Foxwolf
Administrator

If you count the stuff from the early/mid 80's then Astro Boy was my first anime. Can also throw Voltron and Cities of Gold in there as well.

If you consider when anime officially started making it's name and mark in the West, then Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie was my first intro.
Old 03-18-2013   #7
Cypo

The first one I *saw* was... Sailor Moon.

But the first I actually bothered to watch was either Dragonball Z or Samurai Pizza Cats. I can't remember which one came first. Other than me and my brother used to get up early on weekdays to watch SPC before getting ready to catch the bus to school.
Cypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #8
TaZZerath

This is tough to determine as there was a lot of anime being shown at various times which I saw. The first anime series I watched was Macross re-envisioned as Robotech for the Western audiences. The first anime movie I watched was Akira. But the first series which got me addicted was Neon Genesis Evangelion which was one of the few dubbed Anime title's i've watched (I've since had a preference to Subbed, to each their own)

EDIT: Fox reminded me how bad my memory was....
"I am alpha and omega, the beginning and the end. I am that which is, which was, and is yet to come...and you will know my name is Megatron when I lay my vengeance upon you!" -- Megatron, Quoting the Covenant of Primus, Beast Wars

Last edited by TaZZerath; 03-18-2013 at 05:19 PM.
TaZZerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #9
Heartfilia Mage 721

Naruto for sure. Even though I might have watched some before Naruto but it's in my book as my first.
Heartfilia Mage 721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #10
Pokejedservo

Voltron and Robotech for me as well since I am indeed an 80's kid, but when I started to become more aware of anime in the 90s it would be those such as Dragon Ball Original & Z, Street Fighter II V/Animated Movie, Pokemon and Samurai Pizza Cats.
Pokejedservo is offline   Reply With Quote