Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 11-30-2013   #1
spider-batmanx12

Default anime redubs for funimation

some of tghe dubs in LA and sentai have been proved to be stale at times and miscasted at times like durarara, gurren lagann, blkeach(even though i don't like it that much but the designs and feel to it feels so funimationy), higurashi, kokoro connect, and so on. which animes do you want funimation to redub and which cast do you think is perfect for the characters?
spider-batmanx12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #2
Autovolt

Default Re: anime redubs for funimation

Gurren Lagann and Durarara!! miscasting....you're joking right?

Besides FUNimation has their hands on so many animes they don't need to re-dub old ones as it is they get too many new animes as it is.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #3
Heartfilia Mage 721

Cowboy Bebop!

Spike- Greg Ayres

Jet Black- Spike Spencer

Faye- Luci Christian

Ed- Vic Mignona

E.I.N.- Todd Haberkorn
Heartfilia Mage 721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #4
spider-batmanx12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
Gurren Lagann and Durarara!! miscasting....you're joking right?

Besides FUNimation has their hands on so many animes they don't need to re-dub old ones as it is they get too many new animes as it is.
durarara had a very mediocre dub. heck, i stopped watching it after hearing what they've done to isaac and miria. i mean reall? of all the replacements they have to find they chose sam reigal and some no name voice actress? that's like adding kirk thornton as someone like luffy.

as for gurren lagann. it started off bad but then ended up good but with they way the characters behave and look, funimation would've handled it alot better. heck, gargantia looks to be a show funimation can easily dub like luci christian as bellow, justin cook as that blonde jerk, and ian sinclair as that giant robot same with kill la kill. i've sensed alot of funimation vibe with the two animes.

funimation also had the rights to higurashi but they didn't continue to dub the rest of the seasons nor redubbed the first season considering how poor the sales went.

but hey, a man can dream right?
Old 11-30-2013   #5
Jackson_H
Administrator

This is a fun topic but you should also be realistic.

Dubbing costs a lot of money.

A company like Funimation isn't going to waste money redubbing a title if the existing dub is acceptable (acceptable doesn't have to be a masterpiece).

The main reasons titles get redubbed are for:

*consistency (e.g. going back to redub Initial D to match the voice cast for the later seasons they licensed)

*the original dub was edited & censored (e.g. 4Kids One Piece)

For older titles that get a license rescue, it makes little sense to redub them. They've been released before so majority of fans who wanted to buy it already did.

The money made from re-releasing it again is still decent (if it's been out of print for a while) but wouldn't even cover the costs of a new dub...

Why spend money redubbing an older title if it's not going to make back the dub costs and then actually start making a profit on top of that?

Also sometimes Japanese companies won't let a U.S. company relicense an anime unless they buy the original English dub in order to get more money upfront in the contract.

A company like Funimation is also going to prioritize dubbing new stuff they've licensed instead of going back to redub old titles that aren't so hot anymore.

If they waste time redubbing old titles, all the new stuff that needs to be dubbed will pile up, take longer to get released, interest will dwindle and sales will suffer.

Also now matter how much you want it to happen, Funimation can't create a new dub (even if they wanted to) for a title another company currently has the license for.

If you guys want to talk about "what if" imaginary scenarios you can do that in the Dream Casts Forum

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...play.php?f=102

Last edited by Jackson_H; 11-30-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Jackson_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #6
spider-batmanx12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson_H View Post
This is a fun topic but you should also be realistic.

Dubbing costs a lot of money.

A company like Funimation isn't going to waste money redubbing a title if the existing dub is acceptable (acceptable doesn't have to be a masterpiece).

The main reasons titles get redubbed are for:

*consistency (e.g. going back to redub Initial D to match the voice cast for the later seasons they licensed)

*the original dub was edited & censored (e.g. 4Kids One Piece)

For older titles that get a license rescue, it makes little sense to redub them. They've been released before so majority of fans who wanted to buy it already did.

The money made from re-releasing it again is still decent (if it's been out of print for a while) but wouldn't even cover the costs of a new dub...

Why spend money redubbing an older title if it's not going to make back the dub costs and then actually start making a profit on top of that?

Also sometimes Japanese companies won't let a U.S. company relicense an anime unless they buy the original English dub in order to get more money upfront in the contract.

A company like Funimation is also going to prioritize dubbing new stuff they've licensed instead of going back to redub old titles that aren't so hot anymore.

If they waste time redubbing old titles, all the new stuff that needs to be dubbed will pile up, take longer to get released, interest will dwindle and sales will suffer.

Also now matter how much you want it to happen, Funimation can't create a new dub (even if they wanted to) for a title another company currently has the license for.

If you guys want to talk about "what if" imaginary scenarios you can do that in the Dream Casts Forum

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...play.php?f=102
a fan can dream can't he? i mean animes like durarara and bleach have been majorly trash and it's gonna take me some time getting used to the dubbing in gargantia seeing as how i imagine funimation doing it. but i know bang zoom will do their best. it's still great that funimation has attackn on ititan though. with an anime like that, funimation jis bound to get more money, more attention, and even more animes to license(hopefully some great ones).

but with that said, which actors from funimation do you want to add in a redub version of bang zoom animes?
Old 12-01-2013   #7
UltimateSSJ4GokouEX

Gurren Lagan, Durarara!! & Higurashi miscasting!? You gotta be kidding me?

Truth is FUNimation has their hands on so many animes and there's probably no point to re-dub old ones. As of now they get too many new animes as it is.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/UltimateSSJZeroX
UltimateSSJ4GokouEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #8
akersaotome

Just to understand the context of this thread; is it already dubbed anime thats given a new paint job by Funimation?
akersaotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #9
MilanTheVillain01

Send a message via MSN to MilanTheVillain01

Ever since 4Kids lost the rights to it, I've wanted to see Yu-Gi-Oh redubbed by FUNimation.
& if it were possible, I'd like to see them take a shot at redubbing Sonic X.
MilanTheVillain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014   #10
SK071

Well if this is a fantasy request, then I'd like to see Funimation redub the Transformers Takara collection.
SK071 is offline   Reply With Quote