Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 09-15-2017   #141
IMB

Default Re: Are Vancouver dubs going to go extinct?

Cartoon Network Canada isn't a real TV channel (the same goes for Nickelodeon Canada). It exists solely as a contractual obligation so that Corus can have exclusive access to the Turner programming library (which they share on their real channels) and some merchandise rights. The channel loses money, so it's very unlikely Corus is ever going to go out of their way to acquire third party shows for it. They haven't even bothered to refresh the Adult Swim lineup they have the rights for. We still haven't gotten Samurai Jack S5 despite the fact that Samurai Jack has been a part of Adult Swim Canada's schedule since it launched!

Last edited by IMB; 09-15-2017 at 11:53 AM.
IMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017   #142
Domayv

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMB View Post
Cartoon Network Canada isn't a real TV channel (the same goes for Nickelodeon Canada). It exists solely as a contractual obligation so that Corus can have exclusive access to the Turner programming library (which they share on their real channels) and some merchandise rights. The channel loses money, so it's very unlikely Corus is ever going to go out of their way to acquire third party shows for it. They haven't even bothered to refresh the Adult Swim lineup they have the rights for. We still haven't gotten Samurai Jack S5 despite the fact that Samurai Jack has been a part of Adult Swim Canada's schedule since it launched!
so what's gonna be the best bet then unless Canada's SOL
Domayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017   #143
IMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domayv View Post
so what's gonna be the best bet then unless Canada's SOL
Anime Current, Bionix, and Razer Kamikaze have been dead for longer than they were alive. We've kind of been SOL for 7 years now. What's the rest of eternity?

There is a wild card in attempting to get anime back onto Canadian television. Wow Unlimited announced that they're purchasing a Canadian cable channel from Bell Media a few months ago, with the intention of marketing it to youth. Wow Unlimited is a new company formed through a combination of Rainmaker Animation, Frederator, and Erzrin Hirsh Entertainment. All three are animation companies. Unlike Corus and DHX (owners of the Family Channel TV brand in Canada), they don't have the contractual agreements or internal library to really schedule a 24/7 TV channel themselves. Rainmaker's library is predominantly work-for-hire TV movie productions they own 0 distribution rights to. What Frederator owns largely consists of small web-series that are either too niche to run on TV, or so short they'd be in reruns almost immediately. Bee and Puppy Cat can't really anchor a prime time lineup. 107 Facts You Need To Know About Code Lyoko might be okay 3AM filler, but good luck airing it anywhere else. Acquisitions are going to be key. The problem for Wow is that Disney, DreamWorks, Hasbro, Mattel, Nickelodeon and Turner/Warner are already spoken for. Where exactly is the content going to come from? Well, Wow did just produce a very violent and anime looking Castlevania series ...

Of course, in relation to this topic, that's not really a guarantee of anything. They can air anime, but if the channel isn't able to reach a mass audience, it's probably not going to influence any production choices.
Old 09-15-2017   #144
Domayv

Quote:
Anime Current, Bionix, and Razer Kamikaze have been dead for longer than they were alive. We've kind of been SOL for 7 years now. What's the rest of eternity?
And streaming's not well-developed enough there unfortunately.

Quote:
There is a wild card in attempting to get anime back onto Canadian television. Wow Unlimited announced that they're purchasing a Canadian cable channel from Bell Media a few months ago, with the intention of marketing it to youth.
It's a Category B channel (which doesn't require as much CanCon as a Category A channel like Razer/MTV2 (new), G4 Canada and YTV). Also, they seemed to have partnered with each other.

There were two attempts to bring a 24/7 channel a la Animax into Canada: First was Corus's attempt called "The Anime Channel" (it never took off as it was announced right before the crash), and second was Funimation attempting to have Rogers Media bring its channel to Canada (it too never took off)

Concerning this new channel, will its age demographics be similar to Teletoon (which airs stuff like the TV-MA-rated Archer at night) because if it were to air anime and be like Toonami for Canada, several shows (i.e. Hellsing Ultimate, Kill la Kill, Parasyte) may not be able to air if its age demographics are most similar to YTV (which doesn't and cannot air such shows)

Quote:
Of course, in relation to this topic, that's not really a guarantee of anything. They can air anime, but if the channel isn't able to reach a mass audience, it's probably not going to influence any production choices.
Considering that they're partnering with Bell Media (a company comparable to Rogers Media in terms of size, which is to say somewhat bigger than Corus and DHX), Bell could help them with this new channel of theirs reach as large of an audience as possible.

Last edited by Domayv; 09-15-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2017   #145
IMB

Quote:
Also, they seemed to have partnered with each other.
Yes, but I don't think you're going to see a lot of help from Bell with regards to programming. I expect their influence to be more back-end stuff (maybe ad sales, operations, branding, etc.). They purposely invested in Wow to target demos they felt they weren't reaching.

Quote:
There were two attempts to bring a 24/7 channel a la Animax into Canada: First was Corus's attempt called "The Anime Channel" (it never took off as it was announced right before the crash), and second was Funimation attempting to have Rogers Media bring its channel to Canada (it too never took off)
Who knows if Corus was ever really serious about The Anime Channel. There's a decent possibility that they grabbed the CRTC license to prevent Rogers or some other company from doing it. Anime may have already peaked by the time the CRTC approved the channel in 2007, but Bionix still hung around for a few more years.

I don't know if Funimation was actually trying to launch a Canadian channel. From the way they spoke about things, it sounded more like they were hoping to join a thin list of foreign linear TV services allowed to operate in Canada. That would've just been a copy of the US feed with blackouts for the occasional show that was sold to a Canadian broadcaster.

Quote:
Concerning this new channel, will its age demographics be similar to Teletoon (which airs stuff like the TV-MA-rated Archer at night) because if it were to air anime and be like Toonami for Canada, several shows (i.e. Hellsing Ultimate, Kill la Kill, Parasyte) may not be able to air if its age demographics are most similar to YTV (which doesn't and cannot air such shows)
From the Kidscreen interview you posted:
Quote:
Specifically, earlier programming will be aimed at kids zero to 12 years old, while programming later in the day will be geared toward a young Millennial audience.
Do remember, Wow Unlimited produces Castlevania for Netflix and Michael Hirsh is their CEO. When he was still heading up Nelvana, they were doing shows like Bob & Margaret and the far more crude John Callahan's Quads. Right before he sold Cookie Jar to DHX, they were developing a number of older audience comedy projects. I doubt they'll air anything extremely explicit, but if they wanted to run something like Attack on Titan, I'm sure they could.

Quote:
Considering that they're partnering with Bell Media (a company comparable to Rogers Media in terms of size, which is to say somewhat bigger than Corus and DHX), Bell could help them with this new channel of theirs reach as large of an audience as possible.
The problem is that they're unlikely to be getting any of Bell's top channels. Bell only owns two Category B channels: Comedy Gold and Investigation Discovery. Unless Bell plans on rebranding one of their cat A channels to it in while selling the channel space to Wow, I suspect it won't be Investigation Discovery. That channel is growing and has first run content. I think it's far likelier to be Comedy Gold, which is just a channel that runs 10+ year old sitcom reruns. Subscriptions have already fallen to 600k. That's not fertile ground to launch a new channel in the present television landscape.
Old 09-15-2017   #146
Domayv

Quote:
Who knows if Corus was ever really serious about The Anime Channel. There's a decent possibility that they grabbed the CRTC license to prevent Rogers or some other company from doing it. Anime may have already peaked by the time the CRTC approved the channel in 2007, but Bionix still hung around for a few more years.
I can only imagine what it would have been like if Rogers got the license and dod something with it. Canada could've seen stuff like Code Geass, GITS SAC 2nd GIG, Gundam 00, The Big O, and others on that new channel.

Quote:
I doubt they'll air anything extremely explicit, but if they wanted to run something like Attack on Titan, I'm sure they could.
So, pretty much anything Toonami's aired, though Kill la Kill, Deadman Wonderland, Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate would most likely be off-limits, whilst Parasyte, JoJo, Michiko & Hachin, Akame ga Kill!, and Tokyo Ghoul would be borderline.

Quote:
The problem is that they're unlikely to be getting any of Bell's top channels. Bell only owns two Category B channels: Comedy Gold and Investigation Discovery. Unless Bell plans on rebranding one of their cat A channels to it in while selling the channel space to Wow, I suspect it won't be Investigation Discovery. That channel is growing and has first run content. I think it's far likelier to be Comedy Gold, which is just a channel that runs 10+ year old sitcom reruns. Subscriptions have already fallen to 600k. That's not fertile ground to launch a new channel in the present television landscape.
So what could be a better solution to this issue then.
Old 09-16-2017   #147
IMB

Quote:
I can only imagine what it would have been like if Rogers got the license and dod something with it. Canada could've seen stuff like Code Geass, GITS SAC 2nd GIG, Gundam 00, The Big O, and others on that new channel.
It probably would've just been Geneon TV lol. The moment Geneon died, anime on G4 went with it because Rogers couldn't find another partner willing to give them a sweetheart deal.

Quote:
So what could be a better solution to this issue then.
I'm not sure there is one beyond just making an attractive channel people will want to subscribe to. Easier said than done, of course.
Old 09-16-2017   #148
Domayv

Quote:
It probably would've just been Geneon TV lol. The moment Geneon died, anime on G4 went with it because Rogers couldn't find another partner willing to give them a sweetheart deal.
They could have also inked a deal with Bandai after Geneon closed as Bandai's run with Bionix was nearing its end. Plus, Bandai did let Razer air Cowboy Bebop (and Geneon did the same with Samurai Champloo.

Quote:
I'm not sure there is one beyond just making an attractive channel people will want to subscribe to. Easier said than done, of course.
Considering that it's going to be an animation channel and Wow doesn't have enough originals ATM, it's going to be reliant on 3rd-party acquisitions for a while. On the side of anime, maybe it can try to be a place where VIZ's and Aniplex USA's dubs air in Canada (hello Sailor Moon), given that much of them are Hulu-exclusive (and Hulu isn't available in Canada and their shows aren't available on TubiTV), though Netflix could pose a thorn in the plans. Funi is a maybe and Sentai is out of the question due to HIDIVE.

Maybe they can finally air the Ocean dub of the first part of DBZ Kai as it has been fully finished despite being cancelled.

Last edited by Domayv; 09-16-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2017   #149
NitroEX

Considering Turner UK's history and success with Canadian Dragon Ball dubs in the past, I have hope that there might still be a slim chance of Ocean's Kai being used here one day but it really depends on Toonami UK first being revived as well as them having an interest Dragon Ball Super.

So far Toonami has been launched in both France and Africa, although as far as I can tell the African version has yet to broadcast any anime, relying solely on Warner/DC and Turner's own library. However, Toei did announce last year that Super would be coming to Africa on CN but both their CN and Toonami facebook pages have yet to mention anything about it. Anyway, tangent aside, the big picture here is that there is a push by Turner for Toonami and Dragon Ball Super, if the same thing can happen here in the UK that could potentially leave open an opportunity to broadcast Kai as a refresher for their audience (and to finally broadcast Final Chapters)... which, considering their history, could mean the Canadian dub of at least the first part. It might be wishful thinking on my end but it's the best I can hope for if Canada insists on not doing anything with it.

A UK Toonami revival might have seemed impossible a few years ago but with the recent promotion of Pierre Branco to SVP of Turner UK and Northern Europe (previously the GM of Turner France and Africa) as well as the current anime resurgence on Viceland UK, it seems like more of a realistic possibility now, especially if there's any truth in this quote where he says “We want to expand to the rest of the world”.

Although my pessimistic side tells me that there's probably enough bureaucracy within the company to stop that from ever happening. Nevermind the possibility of another Funimation dub airing if Toei has anything to say about it... Or if they simply don't know a different Kai version exists.
NitroEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017   #150
Domayv

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroEX View Post
Considering Turner UK's history and success with Canadian Dragon Ball dubs in the past, I have hope that there might still be a slim chance of Ocean's Kai being used here one day but it really depends on Toonami UK first being revived as well as them having an interest Dragon Ball Super.
Considering that they aired Funi's dub of Kai, that's not happening.

Quote:
So far Toonami has been launched in both France and Africa, although as far as I can tell the African version has yet to broadcast any anime, relying solely on Warner/DC and Turner's own library. However, Toei did announce last year that Super would be coming to Africa on CN but both their CN and Toonami facebook pages have yet to mention anything about it. Anyway, tangent aside, the big picture here is that there is a push by Turner for Toonami and Dragon Ball Super, if the same thing can happen here in the UK that could potentially leave open an opportunity to broadcast Kai as a refresher for their audience (and to finally broadcast Final Chapters)... which, considering their history, could mean the Canadian dub of at least the first part. It might be wishful thinking on my end but it's the best I can hope for if Canada insists on not doing anything with it.
Wow! Media (owner of Federator Studios and Rainmaker Animation/Mainframe Entertainment) has purchased a Category B channel from Bell Media, and they're planning on launching an animation channel. Given that it's gonna rely on 3rd-party acquisitions for a couple of years (they could target anime), DBZ Kai would be a fairly big draw.

Quote:
A UK Toonami revival might have seemed impossible a few years ago but with the recent promotion of Pierre Branco to SVP of Turner UK and Northern Europe (previously the GM of Turner France and Africa) as well as the current anime resurgence on Viceland UK, it seems like more of a realistic possibility now, especially if there's any truth in this quote where he says “We want to expand to the rest of the world”.
International Toonamis are gonna resemble more like the CN-era Toonami than the AS-era Toonami. Also if Toonami were to launch in the UK and follow AS's style, they would have to go to a different channel as OFCOM regulations prevent it from airing on Cartoon Network or sharing space with a kids channel. They could launch on FOX but they love their comedies so maybe they could launch on True Entertainment (their predecessor was Anime Central) but maybe they could instead launch on Scuzz (which has operated Animax Movie Nights on Thursdays). Both channels are owned by Sony BTW.