Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > TV Discussion

TV Discussion Chat about your favorite shows and series here.

Old 07-31-2020   #1
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Default Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous

Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous is nearing.

As someone who's been obsessed with dinosaurs since he was two years old; as someone whose first movie experience memory was Jurassic Park on TV; as someone who went to theatre to see each subsequent sequel - or any dinosaur movie at all; as someone who had We're Back! dinosaur stickers on his bed and dinosaur wallpaper, you'd think that a Jurassic Park television series would be one of the greatest things to see come to life.
And yet, here we are. The trailer is so clearly geared towards strengthening the prescription of those nostalgia goggles even further by showcasing us elements and beats that we've already seen five times before over the past 25+ years.

And to echo a sentiment made by our resident physician, The Doctor, am I really supposed to believe that this TV-G (or heck, PG at worst) action/adventure television series will have any danger beyond "everyone escapes unscathed, but the question is just close is it going to be?"?

I'll check it out, of course, but I don't have high hopes for this series being anything than filler until Jurassic World: Dominion comes out/a vehicle for us grown-@$$ man-children to sit back and fondly reminisce as the series hits us over the head with references and nods to the films.
Old 07-31-2020   #2
The Doctor

Default Re: Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
And to echo a sentiment made by our resident physician, The Doctor
Hmmm... I think I like this title
Old 07-31-2020   #3
IMB

Are any of these teens trained in gymnastics by any chance? I hear that's really effective against the raptors.

I think the biggest issue is that Jurassic Park as a concept doesn't lend itself well to becoming a never-ending franchise of movies and TV shows. "Man plays God, gets bitten" can only be told so many times before it feels tired. The same goes for the rescue stories. I don't think it's a coincidence that both the original trilogy and the World duo faced diminishing box office returns with each sequel. The novelty of seeing dinos on the big screen wears off and narratively, they've been on thin ice since the start. There's a reason Crichton's original novel ended the way it did.

This is all worsened by the fact that the franchise is a four quadrant summer blockbuster aiming to please every demographic. That limits the kind of stories you can tell. How many times have dumb kids narrowly escaped being dino dinner in this franchise? Too many times, and this show seems centred on that. Got to give lil' Tyler someone to self-insert as so he remembers to beg mom and dad for the latest toys. It worked on us.
IMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #4
jackierowe

I hope this is really good and not just aimed towards kids.
jackierowe is offline   Reply With Quote