Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Anime

Anime Discuss everything in the world of Anime here.

Old 05-26-2016   #11
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Default Re: Battle of the Planets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Luminous One View Post
Hi,

I'm hoping to talk with a few more Battle personnel again in the next couple weeks and I'll be sure to bring up Mr. Rye's name.

The Alan Dinehart, Jr. listed in Battle's credits is the voice director's son. I know their family tree can get a little convoluted, but I was able to get it cleared up straight from Mr. Dinehart, Jr. - who has now dropped the "Jr." from his name. As far as I know, Mason Alan Dinehart (the voice director's younger stepbrother) didn't do anything on the show.

I haven't found the Ocean cast list yet, but if it comes to it I can always just copy the information down from the on-screen credits. I should be able to look through the rest of my files before the weekend.

Jason
www.battleoftheplanets.info
Awesome. BTW, this is the character Mike played on the Hulk cartoon:

http://tfregenerationone.weebly.com/...asper_bryn.mp3

And here's a sample of Dr. Sweet:

http://tfregenerationone.weebly.com/.../dr._sweet.mp3

As you can see, they sound very similar (especially when you hear the lisp).

Gee, thanks for that. I was really scrambling my head with the Dinehart case.
Starscreamsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016   #12
The Luminous One

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscreamsfan View Post
Awesome. BTW, this is the character Mike played on the Hulk cartoon:

http://tfregenerationone.weebly.com/...asper_bryn.mp3

And here's a sample of Dr. Sweet:

http://tfregenerationone.weebly.com/.../dr._sweet.mp3

As you can see, they sound very similar (especially when you hear the lisp).

Gee, thanks for that. I was really scrambling my head with the Dinehart case.
Yes, I agree. The two samples are a pretty good match. As I said, I have a couple people I can ask about Mr. Rye's participation. Stay tuned!

I'm glad I could help clear up the Dinehart question for you. With four people using the name at various times, it really did get confusing.

I found my copy of the final credit roll for the Ocean Battle of the Planets production (February, 2003). It only lists the actors, not the parts they played. I know I have that information somewhere though. Possibly marked down on the audition CDs or in e-mail records. But the names on the credit roll were Scott Campbell, Michael Dobson, Richard Newman, Nicole Oliver, French Tickner and Sam Vincent. There were more actors involved than that.

Jason
The Luminous One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016   #13
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Hi,

Yes, I agree. The two samples are a pretty good match. As I said, I have a couple people I can ask about Mr. Rye's participation. Stay tuned!

I'm glad I could help clear up the Dinehart question for you. With four people using the name at various times, it really did get confusing.

I found my copy of the final credit roll for the Ocean Battle of the Planets production (February, 2003). It only lists the actors, not the parts they played. I know I have that information somewhere though. Possibly marked down on the audition CDs or in e-mail records. But the names on the credit roll were Scott Campbell, Michael Dobson, Richard Newman, Nicole Oliver, French Tickner and Sam Vincent. There were more actors involved than that.

Jason
Awesome!!!

Exactly.

Oh, gee!!! Richard Newman was in it????!!!!! That's awesome!!!!

A lot of familiar names, Michael Dobson, French Tickner, Sam Vincent and Nicole Oliver. Boy, I really wish this had seen the light of day.

I would have loved to hear them in Gatchaman.
Old 05-27-2016   #14
The Luminous One

Hi,

Quote:
Awesome!!!

Exactly.

Oh, gee!!! Richard Newman was in it????!!!!! That's awesome!!!!

A lot of familiar names, Michael Dobson, French Tickner, Sam Vincent and Nicole Oliver. Boy, I really wish this had seen the light of day.

I would have loved to hear them in Gatchaman.
I wish the pilot could have gotten a release as a DVD extra or something, but that's highly unlikely now.

Will you be attending the San Diego Comic-Con this year?

Jason
Old 05-28-2016   #15
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Hi,

I wish the pilot could have gotten a release as a DVD extra or something, but that's highly unlikely now.

Will you be attending the San Diego Comic-Con this year?

Jason
Awwww, crap.

Unfortunately, no. I wish I could, but I have a lot of stuff to do.
Old 05-28-2016   #16
The Luminous One

Hi,

Quote:
Awwww, crap.
Unfortunately, no. I wish I could, but I have a lot of stuff to do.
Sorry to hear it. I usually organize a viewing event for Gatchaman/Battle fans during the Comic-Con and would have been glad to throw the pilot in. I've shown it in the past along with other rarities.

Best,

Jason
Old 05-28-2016   #17
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Hi,

Sorry to hear it. I usually organize a viewing event for Gatchaman/Battle fans during the Comic-Con and would have been glad to throw the pilot in. I've shown it in the past along with other rarities.

Best,

Jason
Oh, gee. I really wish I could go just to see that pilot!!! Oh, well...
Old 09-08-2016   #18
The Luminous One

Hi Starscreamsfan,

I know it's been a while but I wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about your Michael Rye question with Battle of the Planets. I haven't found any new information yet, but I have interview requests in to most of the known uncredited voice cast and I have it marked down to ask about him. Hopefully they will remember something.

I did speak with William Woodson briefly on Tuesday afternoon and unfortunately he wasn't able to answer any questions due to poor health. But it was nice to simply talk with him for a minute or two.

Hope to have more information for you soon.

Best,

Jason
Old 09-08-2016   #19
Starscreamsfan
Banned

Quote:
Hi Starscreamsfan,

I know it's been a while but I wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about your Michael Rye question with Battle of the Planets. I haven't found any new information yet, but I have interview requests in to most of the known uncredited voice cast and I have it marked down to ask about him. Hopefully they will remember something.

I did speak with William Woodson briefly on Tuesday afternoon and unfortunately he wasn't able to answer any questions due to poor health. But it was nice to simply talk with him for a minute or two.

Hope to have more information for you soon.

Best,

Jason
Cool, thanks for that.

And gee, you talked with Bill Woodson??? That's awesome. I really hope he gets better, though.
Old 09-28-2016   #20
LichaRose

Ah, goodness it's been a long time! I'm so sorry I hadn't thought to check back here. Work and health matters kept me busy and laid away for a while, and I'd practically forgotten about this place.

But it's great to have you here, Luminous One! I do have one of your guides and have loved your website. It's a nice surprise to see someone that was involved join in the discussion here, social media these days is pretty great for these matters.

The accounts I've related about were what I remember from about 2005 through another fan who I'm not sure of their whereabouts nowadays, but he was really into BOTP and G-Force. A lot of posts on the forum he was a regular at were lost in a board crash, so I had to rely on my memories from the stuff he'd discussed! So, it's good to have some clarifications of what went down with the Ocean Studios pilot and the pitch for the refurbished series. With how hard a sell old-school anime is in this age unless it's got a built-in buyerbase, it's unfortunately no surprise that couldn't go through for networks.

That's really a shame about the Megas XLR episode, too. It would have been a great way to reunite the actors, and with them keeping Young and Schell in the final recording, it's unfortunate they saw a reason to replace Kasem and Waldo . I guess it's good to know they were at least considered and had recorded on the first go, if anything. Very unfortunate for Ms. Waldo too, considering what went down with the Jetsons movie in the past...

Also good to have the Dinehart matter cleared up, sites like IMDB and others get so shady and confusing on who's who in the family.

One of these days, I might try to get back to watching the series and seeing if I could pick up where Starscreamfan and I left off with any possible IDs, although the older the series gets, the trickier it may be (I'm pretty sure about pilot Jason being Jolliffe from hearing other H-B work with him, and Oppenheimer seems like he was the Spectra commander?). It's great that you're still in touch with cast and crew members! It must have been an experience to be at Sandy Frank.
Thank you very much for all your anecdotes and information once again, it's been nice to read through all it. Here's hoping Woodson is doing all right.

ETA: Considering that Sentai Filmworks seemed to have the "Battle of the Planets" episodes streaming along with Gatchaman last I saw, I wonder if there's a possibility they could release that version on home video down the line. Whatever deal they had to distribute Tatsunoko's titles seems to be held up or something happened, as I haven't heard word about it in so long. But if that's still valid, that's probably one possible way I could think of the Ocean pilot making it out as an extra. I'm not exactly sure though, since I'm not in that type of business and wouldn't know if there'd be more rights to work out.

Last edited by LichaRose; 09-28-2016 at 06:01 PM.
LichaRose is offline   Reply With Quote