Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Cartoon Network

Cartoon Network Discuss Cartoon Network Shows

Old 07-19-2012   #1
pokemastanumba1

Default Pokemon Black & White

As a longtime fan of the Pokemon franchise (obviously), I've been watching the Unova saga of the anime, and I must say, it's definitely a vast improvement over the DP saga (though that really isn't saying too much). I actually really like some of the new Pokemon, and newcoming traveling partners Iris and Cilan do make good chemistry. Even the animation is certainly a step-up from previous seasons. The bright and vibrant colors provide beautiful-looking scenery and make the characters stand out much more than ever.

Of course, the TPCi dub is showing great promise. Bringing back most of the former 4Kids VAs back to the series since DuArt took over kicked off a great new start since mid-DP, and of course, there'll be more of them coming. While the anime may never regain its old popularity, it's certainly making a fierce comeback. There's newfound hope to save the series from record-low ratings.
Old 01-20-2013   #2
Sephiroth

Default Re: Pokemon Black & White

I'll agree... there have been some amazing improvements since 4kids was taken out of the picture... I kind of wish they didn't redesign Ash the way they did and change out his voice actor... but yeah I can't complain much.
I honestly don't follow the series anymore... in fact, I lost interest when I saw Mastermind and Battle Frontier, which totally ruined the series for me.

I miss when it actually focused less on the storyline of the game and more on the characters' developments as they progressed.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #3
JSD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I'll agree... there have been some amazing improvements since 4kids was taken out of the picture... I kind of wish they didn't redesign Ash the way they did and change out his voice actor... but yeah I can't complain much.
I honestly don't follow the series anymore... in fact, I lost interest when I saw Mastermind and Battle Frontier, which totally ruined the series for me.

I miss when it actually focused less on the storyline of the game and more on the characters' developments as they progressed.
Every single one of your complaints happens to stem from TPCi's dub, but whatever, bash 4Kids anyway mindlessly. *sigh*

Last edited by JSD; 04-13-2013 at 07:25 PM.
JSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #4
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSD View Post
Every single one of your complaints happens to step from TPCi's dub, but whatever, bash 4Kids anyway mindlessly. *sigh*
I think he's saying there have been improvements in the dub switch. Not that TPCi's dub is superior to the 4kids dub.

Anyway I watched it all the way to Battle Dimension but started watching again at the end of Sinnoh. I then watched the first 10 episodes of Unova and stopped because I didn't like that they stopped following the older seasons, made Ash 10 again and acting like an amateur and behaving like he did in the early episodes of the anime such as catching Pokemon without battling them and not mentioning his old friends, rivals, travels, battles, badges etc., and ignored the older fans and aimed it towards the younger ones. I don't care for Iris and find her annoying and my lest favorite female lead, and Cilan my least favorite supporting male led mainly because the way Iris treated Ash annoyed me and Cilan's flamboyant behavior didn't make it any better. I did like Iris's playfulness and what they did to Team Rocket but the constant recycling of episodes turned me off. When Paul showed up in that flashback in episode 2 I had high hopes but he hasn't shown up yet, neither has the rumored Misty who might have returned, or Charizard which was a made up story to begin with.

I get why they did all this. To revamp it for a fresh start since the older fans stopped watching after the dub switch, to make it less confusing for kids unfamiliar with past seasons, and to try to regain an audience. Granted it may have improved so if it did please let me know. The Pokemon franchise is definitely the most successful in the US beating Yu-Gi-Oh by far, the cards are still selling strong, and Nintendo makes billions off the games so it hasn't been dented much since kids were always the targeted audience for the Pokemon franchise.

Last edited by SupremeTarantulas; 04-10-2013 at 03:40 PM.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013   #5
JSD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I think he's saying there have been improvements in the dub switch. Not that TPCi's dub is superior to the 4kids dub.

Anyway I watched it all the way to Battle Dimension but started watching again at the end of Sinnoh. I then watched the first 10 episodes of Unova and stopped because I didn't like that they stopped following the older seasons, made Ash 10 again and acting like an amateur and behaving like he did in the early episodes of the anime such as catching Pokemon without battling them and not mentioning his old friends, rivals, travels, battles, badges etc., and ignored the older fans and aimed it towards the younger ones. I don't care for Iris and find her annoying and my lest favorite female lead, and Cilan my least favorite supporting male led mainly because the way Iris treated Ash annoyed me and Cilan's flamboyant behavior didn't make it any better. I did like Iris's playfulness and what they did to Team Rocket but the constant recycling of episodes turned me off. When Paul showed up in that flashback in episode 2 I had high hopes but he hasn't shown up yet, neither has the rumored Misty who might have returned, or Charizard which was a made up story to begin with.

I get why they did all this. To revamp it for a fresh start since the older fans stopped watching after the dub switch, to make it less confusing for kids unfamiliar with past seasons, and to try to regain an audience. Granted it may have improved so if it did please let me know. The Pokemon franchise is definitely the most successful in the US beating Yu-Gi-Oh by far, the cards are still selling strong, and Nintendo makes billions off the games so it hasn't been dented much since kids were always the targeted audience for the Pokemon franchise.
Yeah, I understand as well. I do agree with you. BW in some ways is a fresh start/clean slate for the series. It is disheartening for many older fans to see what's happened, but for others it's been a revival of the franchise. Ash is still 10, he ended up regressing in the Unova League, TRio has become very serious, etc.

As for the dub, I think the TPCi English itself dub has improved as well since the switch occurred. I do not think it's a bad dub anymore, but what I feel is that it is lacking in emotion, decent dialogue, and staying power. The 4Kids dub really felt more like a show anyone could watch and could jump right into, whereas the TPCi dub feels more like a show where it feels tailored made towards the younger generation of fans.

Certain mannerisms like Ash's trademark yell or James' horse-whinnying laugh have been dropped entirely, Ash is always dropping his g's and n's, Team Rocket overuses puns and alliterations a lot of the time, and there are some pretty strange intros that I feel really show a difference in the two dubs besides the voice acting.

The lack of nonsensical editing and retention of more JPN BGM than 4Kids kept is great in TPCi's case, sure, but the overall quality of the English dub has diminished in my eyes. It's just not the same without Veronica as Ash and the others for me. It lost a lot of charm without them...

I feel in general before the show was relatable to anyone, and not just for the kiddies (even though of course they weren't perfect by any means, they still seemed to care more from what I've seen over the last 7 years).

As for the TPCi dub, I thought it was generally very poor in BF, poor-mediocre in DP, and is good in BW, but that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemastanumba1 View Post
As a longtime fan of the Pokemon franchise (obviously), I've been watching the Unova saga of the anime, and I must say, it's definitely a vast improvement over the DP saga (though that really isn't saying too much). I actually really like some of the new Pokemon, and newcoming traveling partners Iris and Cilan do make good chemistry. Even the animation is certainly a step-up from previous seasons. The bright and vibrant colors provide beautiful-looking scenery and make the characters stand out much more than ever.

Of course, the TPCi dub is showing great promise. Bringing back most of the former 4Kids VAs back to the series since DuArt took over kicked off a great new start since mid-DP, and of course, there'll be more of them coming. While the anime may never regain its old popularity, it's certainly making a fierce comeback. There's newfound hope to save the series from record-low ratings.
Agreed. The TPCi dub has improved vastly since it began, and that is the glimmer of hope right now for the series. The BW Series seems to have mixed reviews, actually. Some love it, and others hate it. I don't think the dub will ever manage to capture that genuine interest and goofiness the 4Kids dub seemed to give off without the original VAs back in their main roles, but I can at least say TPCi's dub is good in its own right now.

Last edited by JSD; 04-13-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-13-2013   #6
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSD View Post
Yeah, I understand as well. I do agree with you. BW in some ways is a fresh start/clean slate for the series. It is disheartening for many older fans to see what's happened, but for others it's been a revival of the franchise. Ash is still 10, he ended up regressing in the Unova League, TRio has become very serious, etc.

As for the dub, I think the TPCi English itself dub has improved as well since the switch occurred. I do not think it's a bad dub anymore, but what I feel is that it is lacking in emotion, decent dialogue, and staying power. The 4Kids dub really felt more like a show anyone could watch and could jump right into, whereas the TPCi dub feels more like a show where it feels tailored made towards the younger generation of fans.

Certain mannerisms like Ash's trademark yell or James' horse-whinnying laugh have been dropped entirely, Ash is always dropping his g's and n's, Team Rocket overuses puns and alliterations a lot of the time, and there are some pretty strange intros that I feel really show a difference in the two dubs besides the voice acting.

The lack of nonsensical editing and retention of more JPN BGM than 4Kids kept is great in TPCi's case, sure, but the overall quality of the English dub has diminished in my eyes. It's just not the same without Veronica as Ash and the others for me. It lost a lot of charm without them...

I feel in general before the show was relatable to anyone, and not just for the kiddies (even though of course they weren't perfect by any means, they still seemed to care more from what I've seen over the last 7 years).

As for the TPCi dub, I thought it was generally very poor in BF, poor-mediocre in DP, and is good in BW, but that's just me.

Agreed. The TPCi dub has improved vastly since it began, and that is the glimmer of hope right now for the series. The BW Series seems to have mixed reviews, actually. Some love it, and others hate it. I don't think the dub will ever manage to capture that genuine interest and goofiness the 4Kids dub seemed to give off without the original VAs back in their main roles, but I can at least say TPCi's dub is good in its own right now.
IMO some sounded ok when not going into the comedic parts of their characters. If Bill Rogers and Jimmy Zoppi go into Brock's pervert self and James's goofy self I'm surprised that didn't start another epileptic seizure lol. Not all were that bad. The voice work in "The Treasure Is All Mine" was horrendous but in "A Lean Green Team Rocket Machine" the vices were done pretty well. That's actually one of my favorite TCPi episodes since it focuses on the classic episodes. It has the Team Rocket song even though it was only the melody being played during the restaurant scene and "Team Rocket's Rockin" and almost had the original motto. That's how BW should have started to me. But no matter what Zoppi's Meowth alone could start another epileptic seizure. The need a VA who can sound like Maddi more instead of just doing a forced Broolkyn accent since Meowth never had an accent from the start.

Last edited by SupremeTarantulas; 10-05-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-14-2013   #7
JSD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
IMO some sounded ok when not going into the comedic parts of their characters. If Bill Rogers and Jimmy Zoppi go into Brock's pervert self and James's goofy self I'm surprised that didn't start another epileptic seizure lol. Not all were that bad. The voice work in "The Treasure Is All Mine" was horrendous but in "A Lean Green Team Rocket Machine" the vices were done pretty well. That's actually one of my favorite TCPi episodes since it focuses on the classic episodes. It has the Team Rocket song even though it was only the melody being played during the restaurant scene and "Team Rocket's Rockin" and almost had the original motto. That's how BW should have started to me. But no matter what Zoppi's Meowth alone could start another epileptic seizure. The need a VA who can sound like Maddi more instead of just doing a forced Broolkyn accent since Meowt never had an accent from the start.
Completely agree man. Pretty much everything you said is how I feel. lol.
Old 04-20-2013   #8
SupremeTarantulas

Jimmy's Oak should not sound like an aged Gary.
Old 04-20-2013   #9
pokemastanumba1

Smile Re: Pokemon Black & White (may contain spoilers)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING!!! If you haven't watched at least a majority of the Black & White series, please don't read this entire post, as it may spoil it for you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgot to get back into the conversation before, but hey, better late than never. And don't want to get into another 4Kids vs. PUSA/TPCi debate, so back to discussing the particular topic of this thread...

The BW series started out ok. I actually like Cilan as a character, and while Iris is pretty annoying, she does have her moments. From Sandile's second appearance, I knew he'd have to become a part of Ash's team eventually, like he did in his fourth one later on. Krookodile is one of my favorite of Ash's Pokémon, not to mention by far best of his Unova team IMO. As for Ash himself, I don't care for his redesign, nor the fact that he's still 10 after all these years, but as they say, some kids never grow up. At least he hasn't lost too much of his old self, and he does show some good know-how in battle sometimes.

The rivals are pretty decent. I didn't like how Ash kept losing to Trip everytime, but I guess that's how plot devices work. Ash had to be the one who's portrayed as the newbie of the group this season, as Cilan is a Gym Leader, and Iris had trained to be a Dragon Master. It was quite inevitable for them to set up Ash like that. I liked Bianca as a rival, she's really cute and very funny. Burgundy and Georgia are a bit of a pain (bonus geek points to anyone who gets the reference), but I liked how Iris and Cilan had their own rivals anyway. Stephan hasn't had as much development as the others, but he did have a bit of good build-up over the Clubsplosion arc. Too bad it didn't last though.

Unfortunately, it started to get bad at the end of BW Rival Destinies and got worse by the Unova League. I just can't believe it took a full six of Ash's Pokémon to defeat three of Roxie's. Sure it was nice seeing Koffing for the first time since the original series, but how does it manage to wipe out Boldore and Unfezant one after the other? Scolipede and Garbodor were pretty overpowered as well. Trip's Serperior somehow managed to OHKO a Darmanitan and a Heatmor using SolarBeam, and when he battled Ash, Pignite didn't even land a single hit! Yet it fell to a single Volt-Tail in the Unova League preliminaries. And don't get me started on Ash's full battle against Cameron.

The new episode this morning was pretty good though. Ash isn't done traveling through Unova with Iris or Cilan, and it was really neat to hear Team Rocket reciting their original motto. As for Professor Oak, we even got to see Muk smothering him again. I'm not sure if Stan Hart had returned to the role, but if he didn't, then I must say that Jimmy Zoppi's impression has certainly improved.

Spoilers end here.

Old 04-21-2013   #10
SupremeTarantulas

Default Re: Pokemon Black & White (may contain spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemastanumba1 View Post

WARNING!!! If you haven't watched at least a majority of the Black & White series, please don't read this entire post, as it may spoil it for you!

Forgot to get back into the conversation before, but hey, better late than never. And don't want to get into another 4Kids vs. PUSA/TPCi debate, so back to discussing the particular topic of this thread...

The BW series started out ok. I actually like Cilan as a character, and while Iris is pretty annoying, she does have her moments. From Sandile's second appearance, I knew he'd have to become a part of Ash's team eventually, like he did in his fourth one later on. Krookodile is one of my favorite of Ash's Pokémon, not to mention by far best of his Unova team IMO. As for Ash himself, I don't care for his redesign, nor the fact that he's still 10 after all these years, but as they say, some kids never grow up. At least he hasn't lost too much of his old self, and he does show some good know-how in battle sometimes.

The rivals are pretty decent. I didn't like how Ash kept losing to Trip everytime, but I guess that's how plot devices work. Ash had to be the one who's portrayed as the newbie of the group this season, as Cilan is a Gym Leader, and Iris had trained to be a Dragon Master. It was quite inevitable for them to set up Ash like that. I liked Bianca as a rival, she's really cute and very funny. Burgundy and Georgia are a bit of a pain (bonus geek points to anyone who gets the reference), but I liked how Iris and Cilan had their own rivals anyway. Stephan hasn't had as much development as the others, but he did have a bit of good build-up over the Clubsplosion arc. Too bad it didn't last though.

Unfortunately, it started to get bad at the end of BW Rival Destinies and got worse by the Unova League. I just can't believe it took a full six of Ash's Pokémon to defeat three of Roxie's. Sure it was nice seeing Koffing for the first time since the original series, but how does it manage to wipe out Boldore and Unfezant one after the other? Scolipede and Garbodor were pretty overpowered as well. Trip's Serperior somehow managed to OHKO a Darmanitan and a Heatmor using SolarBeam, and when he battled Ash, Pignite didn't even land a single hit! Yet it fell to a single Volt-Tail in the Unova League preliminaries. And don't get me started on Ash's full battle against Cameron.

The new episode this morning was pretty good though. Ash isn't done traveling through Unova with Iris or Cilan, and it was really neat to hear Team Rocket reciting their original motto. As for Professor Oak, we even got to see Muk smothering him again. I'm not sure if Stan Hart had returned to the role, but if he didn't, then I must say that Jimmy Zoppi's impression has certainly improved.

Spoilers end here.

Checked it out and Muk smothering Oak was about the only thing that was close to a throwback to the original series. I'm pretty sure that Oak was Jimmy Zoppi as it still sounded like Gary. Ash's advice was good, Iris wasn't as annoying, but Cilan's food puns are too ridiculous for me. Team Rocket has never fully recited their original motto and instead do variations. I'm gonna check the beginning of BW and see the episodes up to where Team Rocket goes back to their old uniforms but they seem to have become competent villains again so that's an improvement at least. But yeah I'm done with new episodes since I don't like the new direction the franchise is going in.