BTVA Anime Dub Awards

Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Cartoon Network

Cartoon Network Discuss Cartoon Network Shows

Old 03-06-2015   #11
CDwaver

Default Re: Powerpuff Girls Reboot

Completely puzzles me why they wouldn't have asked the old voice actresses to reprise the roles. I mean that seems to be a pretty standard thing to do when continuing or rebooting a series, heck even Teen Titans GO bothered to get the old voice actors.
CDwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #12
CatsTuxedo

Send a message via Yahoo to CatsTuxedo

I'm fairly certain they're going with a fresh cast because they want this incarnation to stand on its own, like PPGZ did. I mean, what'd be the point in rebooting the show if they just repeated what the old version did? Sure, the old cast was good, but they've had their run and their time has passed. If the show's going to get a new start, they may as well take on some new faces.

As for the case of TTG!, that seems more like an opportunity for the cast to voice the characters in something more successful in what it aspires to be (righting a wrong, you could say). Heck, the show in general feels like an apology for all the animu-posturing and Emmy-fishing that came before it, but that's just my speculation.

Last edited by CatsTuxedo; 03-06-2015 at 03:09 PM.
CatsTuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #13
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by economics View Post
I agree with you. I wonder who they will cast to voice the PPG.
Grey Delisle as Blossom again maybe? Maybe Kath Soucie as Bubbles gain? Don't think Tara Strong is Buttercup again though.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015   #14
Dr.Who
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaangway View Post
She also said that none of the original cast was asked.
Looks like 4Kids/Studiopolis/SEGA and Sonic, as well as TPCi/TAJ/DuArt and Pokemon etc. all over again: I've never been a fan of when they do this (excluding FUNimation and One Piece, though in that case even 4Kids was happy they could drop it, and most fans considered that a mercy kill).

That said, I'll most likely always prefer E.G., Nicole, and Tara etc. but this could still be OK, I guess.
Dr.Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016   #15
tiredman

Add this one to Buttercup's voice compare page

Natalie Palamides
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1V7c4AsBzyw

Last edited by tiredman; 02-18-2016 at 03:42 PM.
tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016   #16
SupremeTarantulas

Natalie sounds like EG with a cold. Not saying she's bad but what's wrong with Fuzzy Lumpkins?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kUXprMizqIs

Then again if the recasting applies to everyone not sure I want to hear Tom's replacement unless it's someone like Jeff Bennett.

Last edited by SupremeTarantulas; 05-28-2016 at 07:32 PM.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016   #17
Polyester Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Natalie sounds like EG with a cold. Not saymg she's bad but what's wrong with Fuzzy Lumpkins?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kUXprMizqIs

Then again if the recasting applies to everyone not sure I want to hear Jom's replacement unless it's someone like Jeff Bennett.
Buttercup fights Daniel Bryan?
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016   #18
NCZ
Ask me about unions

So in this show they fight MRAs? I can get behind this.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #19
Troodon2

So, there's been a lot of controversy and rave going round on this... kind'a sort'a reboot of the Powerpuff Girls, and frankly I'm somewhere in the middle of this tabackle. Part of me doesn't mind the show as is, but another part of me tells me it's still a highly problematic program.

But what's wrong with it exactly? Is this the next, Teen Titans Go!? Not really

Unlike TTGO!, this PPG show has a much higher budget, plus a lot more effort in the writing and humor; and it doesn't try to ridicule fans of the original series nor be offensive for the sake of offensive. Plus the animation is good, as is the voice acting. Granted I would have preferred that they reprised Cathy Cavadini, Tara Strong, and E.G. Dailey for the main characters respectively, but all in all this new cast comprised of actual child/teen actors are fine with what they're given. (Still not as good as the former but tolerable)

So if it's not the writing, the animation, or the voice work... then what the heck is wrong with the new PPG?! Well, here's my best personal answer--

The problem with this new show is the framing, the context of the show, both in story and from the perspective of the audience!

The action and humor a step down from Craig McCracken's style of production and writing. It's more simplified and random; and I know it's a cartoon, one for kids at that, but the logic to this establishment inspired on the PPG mythos is just too random, there still needs to be a sense of logic and order to it, I mean yeah talking chimps, and boogie men sure... but real unicorns and centaurs, and random talking zebras? Look I get it, suspension of disbelief, but again there still has to be some restraint and logic to it.

Other than the more random and cartoony logic, as well as the downgrade in action and humor, there's also the characterization. Suffice to say, the Powerpuff Girls here are not the same as they were originally. Oh sure, they have the same names, and even the same character designs (And somewhat similar voices)... but that doesn't automatically make them the same characters!
Blossom is supposed to be the perfectionist, Bubbles is the supposed to be the innocent kid, and Buttercup is supposed the tomboy... But it feels more like they're caricatures of the originals instead of refining what was special about them.

The reason why so many of us loved the original show was because when it was on air, the show gave these character plenty of development and refine these character in their own unique entities. The show let it's audience experience the characters and the stories they're involved in... which is yet another problem, we see the characters, and we see the action... but we don't experience them!

This is where and why the writing is such a big step down from the original show, there is very little experience between the audience and the characters, for these are not the same characters as the original. Blossom, frankly feels more like Pearl, Bubbles feels more like Steven, and Bubbles feels more like Amythest... wait a minute that actually serves another big problem with this show, it's not trying to be the Powerpuff Girls, it's trying to be like other shows people

Yeah... this is where the framing and context of the show comes into play...

The random surrealism, the showy effects, and less upbeat humor and action; these are the things we expect in Steven Universe, as well as Adventure Time, Star Vs. the Forces of Evil, and even We Bare Bears to a degree.

This show is trying to be Adventure Time, Steven Universe, We Bare Bears, Star Vs. the Forces of Evil, and the Powerpuff Girls all at the same time, when a show based on the original Powerpuff Girls should be more than enough. When the show premiered it wasn't a sequel to Dexter's Laboratory, or a precursor to Steve Universe, it was it's own unique entity, much like how the Animainiacs was.

It would be like trying to remake Casablanca and make it more like Mad Max, it just doesn't resemble the original source material.

That's the framing for this new show, and the main problem with it, it just doesn't feel like the Powerpuff Girls.

Now that's not to say the show in of itself is bad! Like I said, there are still good things to be said about it: The animation, the voice acting, and even some of the writing which I do think can indeed be fun and funny.

It's by no means a perfect show, and it especially doesn't emulate what made the PPG so good in the first place than just think it does, but it's harmless and still fun to watch none the less.
Troodon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #20
CatsTuxedo

Send a message via Yahoo to CatsTuxedo

I've seen and heard enough about this show to say that while I'm perfectly willing to defend TTG! wherever I'm able, I can't defend this. From where I stand, if there's anything more obnoxious than the old Titans show's animu-posturing, it's dropping dated memes and internet lingo in a pitiful proclamation of relevance, and this goes without even mentioning the horrifically botched metaphor for transgendered persons and the utterly tone-deaf justification for writing out a particular character. I was already unenthusiastic about the idea of reviving an old series without any intent of doing something new via major overhaul, but all this really highlights the fact that the series was better off dead. When the only positive thing I can say about this is that it's succeeded in detracting some hate away from TTG!, that's not something to be proud of.
CatsTuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote