Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Casting Call

Casting Call BTVA's newest feature. Audition for voice acting projects created by members of BTVA. Project owners can manage the entire project from start all the way through to casting.

Old 08-08-2013   #11
jd95

Default Re: Suggestions/Improvements

What about a way to contact each other instead of just leaving comments. PM'ing or something similar?
jd95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #12
Foxwolf
Web Admin

You can do private and visitor messaging in the forums.
Old 08-08-2013   #13
Pokejedservo

BlaiseDemon's "Feedback" idea does sound interesting... Though FW did you see this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokejedservo View Post
Well I do have an idea that I wonder if it could work for auditions and it is to allow producers to provide a "sample voice" for characters.

What do I mean by this? Simple often enough in various productions producers want the people who are auditioning to try to imitate a certain voice as much as possible. This is common for adaptations in which producers will provide a clip of the characters' official English or Japanese voice. But this can be used for original productions in which producers can use a sample clip in which it will give us an idea of what kind of voice they want for a character. The clip can go underneath the character's picture and one could potentially play the clip if they so want to. But the question is how to use this idea...

One idea is that if the producer wants to pick a sample clip for a character then they could use one of the several audio clips in the site. They would then access a search menu where you can search through the sound clips on the site until they find one that they would want and use it as the sample clip for that character for the Casting Call. However the only potential problems are that while there are plenty of sound clips in the site but there are plenty of TMG's that have little to no sound clips at all and that the majority of them are English so certain producers may find our selection rather limiting. So in other words we may get plenty of requests to add certain sound clips to the site more if we did this idea.

Or we could allow producers to upload their own clips for the characters in their productions that way they are not limited to what we have. However this would also be a bit more difficult to regulate (even if producers use some rather questionable choices for clips though). But it would at least give them a bit more freedom over which sound clips they use as a "sample clip" for the character auditions.

But either way characters only get one "sample clip" each and this will be optional since I am well aware that there are producers who encourage people to come up with their own takes on characters.
Pokejedservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #14
jd95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxwolf View Post
You can do private and visitor messaging in the forums.
Oh, I know. But it would be a nice way for people to contact one another outside the forums. I know a couple of people who don't use the forums but use the main site.
jd95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #15
Hendercrazy

Now that we've all had a chance to use the Casting Call for awhile... there are a few things that might be useful in making it a more complete experience.

It would be great if there was a highlighted box option at the very top of each project where the project owner could drop a link to the finished project audio, video, ect. so anyone who is interested in following up on/hearing the final production can do so. Afterall, entertaining folks is what this is all about... and it would also be nice to give said project/voice actors a bit of exposure too. This might encourage more people to give their voice and auditioning for future projects a shot.

This next suggestion might be too much to ask... but it would be great if there was an option to "follow" or "like" a project. Anyone that does so... would then be sent an e-mail anytime there is a new audition, update or new comments on the project. This might help folks not miss important things going on with the project.

I'm with everyone else that has already suggested the rating experience/reputation option with project owners/voice actors. That could really play a pivoting role with how projects are cast or auditions are chosen in the future, outside of just mere performance.

Beyond that, I've loved it so far.
Hendercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #16
AtemLover24

Send a message via AIM to AtemLover24
Smile Re: Suggestions/Improvements

I would like suggest for an improvement is. To add a remove project on your profile after it closes. Because if you have your project done, you don't need actors or actresses anymore for that project to remove it.
AtemLover24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #17
Foxwolf
Web Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendercrazy View Post
It would be great if there was a highlighted box option at the very top of each project where the project owner could drop a link to the finished project audio, video, ect. so anyone who is interested in following up on/hearing the final production can do so. Afterall, entertaining folks is what this is all about... and it would also be nice to give said project/voice actors a bit of exposure too. This might encourage more people to give their voice and auditioning for future projects a shot.
So while it's not highlighted, there is an optional field called "Completed Project URL" that owners can update. The status of the project also needs to be "Completed" in order for the URL to appear.

Quote:
This next suggestion might be too much to ask... but it would be great if there was an option to "follow" or "like" a project. Anyone that does so... would then be sent an e-mail anytime there is a new audition, update or new comments on the project. This might help folks not miss important things going on with the project.
Yeah, I was thinking about this too, like the way people follow artists on DeviantArt.

Quote:
I'm with everyone else that has already suggested the rating experience/reputation option with project owners/voice actors. That could really play a pivoting role with how projects are cast or auditions are chosen in the future, outside of just mere performance.
This is a big one (in terms of what it would take to build) but it would certainly increase the integrity of the system and the members that use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtemLover24 View Post
I would like suggest for an improvement is. To add a remove project on your profile after it closes. Because if you have your project done, you don't need actors or actresses anymore for that project to remove it.
The best way is to change the status of a project to "Closed" (which happens automatically once the auditions deadline is passed) or "Completed".
Old 09-10-2013   #18
BlazeHeatnix

I haven't personally seen this, but I've heard about it: There should probably be a restriction on extending the deadline. Someone could continually have the project auditions as being right near the deadline so that they automatically appeared at the top of the list all the time.
BlazeHeatnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #19
Pokejedservo

I am not sure about deadline restrictions because before I started to use Casting Call I use to have to extend deadlines several times due to auditions going way too slow so we should be careful about deadline restrictions.

Though if a project has been listed as "complete" then the site will issue a e-mail towards anyone casted in the production so at least they will be the first to know if the production has been released and completed.
Pokejedservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #20
BlazeHeatnix

Here's an idea: If we cast people to non-BTVA members, why can't we put names to those people?

I used Casting Call because it was a convenient way to organize open roles, with character bios, audition lines and even a provided picture. But if I advertise my dub on other websites, it's a tall order to have all the auditioners make an account on this website just to submit auditions. So obviously the next best thing is to request auditions via email.

But the problem is if I cast someone who DOESN'T have a BTVA account, and I mark the character as being cast as such, I can't put a name to them. So my suggestion is, if we mark a character as being cast to a non-BTVA member, to put a name to it instead of leaving it blank. The reason is I've had people tell me they're confused, and that they didn't know if the character was cast or simply closed off to auditions.
BlazeHeatnix is offline   Reply With Quote