Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 03-19-2017   #1
Troodon2

Default The Future of Voice Acting...

How do you imagine voice actors, or the range of the voice acting media 10-20 years in the future? Where do you see today's talent as well as newer talent down along the road; and what do you hope for the voice acting community in the media and the public?

With veteran voice actors today like Frank Welker, Rob Paulsen, Elizabeth Dailey, Cree Summer, and Fred Tatasciore, who can you see filling in their shoes? What do you hope for the future of voice overs in anime, video games, or even live-action projects?
Troodon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #2
Autovolt

Default Re: The Future of Voice Acting...

We're gonna be in good hands I think.

Most of the newcomers of this past decade have been doing a pretty good job.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #3
huzaifa_ahmed
Banned

I typed this out yesterday, but here's an addendum with specific "future top VAs": Eric Bauza (he's not truly a veteran tbh), Ray Chase, Robbie Daymond, Jon Bailey, Darin De Paul, Fryda Wolff, Erica Lindbeck, John Paul Karliak, Scott Whyte, Julie Nathanson, Sarah Blandy, Erica Harlacher, off TOMH. The new guy who does Donald Duck, & JLA's voice-matches of Superman & Wonder Woman. & probably Matthew Mercer (& more of Troy, Travis, & Laura) in more original cartoons. More Internet VAs of course, just because of probability.
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #4
NCZ
Hah?What are You a Joker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa_ahmed View Post
I typed this out yesterday, but here's an addendum with specific "future top VAs": Eric Bauza (he's not truly a veteran tbh), Ray Chase, Robbie Daymond, Jon Bailey, Darin De Paul, Fryda Wolff, Erica Lindbeck, John Paul Karliak, Scott Whyte, Julie Nathanson, Sarah Blandy, Erica Harlacher, off TOMH. The new guy who does Donald Duck, & JLA's voice-matches of Superman & Wonder Woman. & probably Matthew Mercer (& more of Troy, Travis, & Laura) in more original cartoons. More Internet VAs of course, just because of probability.
I am curious about Mercer's career trajectory. He's got his feet wet in original animation (Thundercats) and has been in plenty of AAA games lately (Overwatch and the lead in Titanfall 2 are big ones). But at the same time he doesn't seem to be abandoning anime and JRPG dubs completely, and Critical Role most likely means he's not starving. Seems like he's in a pretty comfortable place when it comes to dabbling in a bit of everything.
NCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #5
DisneyAnimefan1995
Banned

Post Re: The Future of Voice Acting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ View Post
I am curious about Mercer's career trajectory. He's got his feet wet in original animation (Thundercats) and has been in plenty of AAA games lately (Overwatch and the lead in Titanfall 2 are big ones). But at the same time he doesn't seem to be abandoning anime and JRPG dubs completely, and Critical Role most likely means he's not starving. Seems like he's in a pretty comfortable place when it comes to dabbling in a bit of everything.
Didn't he actually started doing JRPG/RPG's earlier in his career since he was in a couple of JRPG titles dating back to 2008 (e.g. Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon, Star Ocean: The Last Hope) which was prior before he started landing his role in Thundercats in 2011.

In regards to your question Troodon, I have to say the same thing as what Autovolt said. It's also quite surprising to see Ray Chase, Abby Trott and Chris Tergliafera show up in AAA games this year (Halo Wars 2, Mass Effect Andromeda) compared to how they started 2-3 years ago.

In regards to the future of voicework in anime in Los Angeles, well hard to say, but I predict their would be more voice actors who are anime fans taking the Bang Zoom! workshops. The majority of the new actors that began official voicework in anime have their start from doing online fandubs, Improv classes etc, etc, etc. At the same time, I am starting to notice a trend in the last 2-3 years where several voice actors who began doing voice work in either original animation or video games start to show up in Anime like Robbie Daymond, Max Mittelman, Marieve Herington, Chris Jai Alex, Griffin Burns, Ben Lepley, Sara Cravens, David W. Collins, Arnie Pantoja, Imari Williams, and more recently Jake Eberle. Of course it's nothing new since it also happened with some voice actors who transitioned from cartoons to anime (e.g. Mona Marshall, Michael McConnohie, Ben Diskin), but I bet I might see it on a few voice actors sooner or later.

Last edited by DisneyAnimefan1995; 03-21-2017 at 10:03 PM.
DisneyAnimefan1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #6
NCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyAnimefan1995 View Post
Didn't he actually started doing JRPG/RPG's earlier in his career since he was in a couple of JRPG titles dating back to 2008(e.g. Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon , Star Ocean: The Last Hope) which was prior before he started landing his role in Thundercats in 2011.
Yes, that's what I mean. He first started gaining recognition through those dubs, and in the early 2000s had bit parts in some Bang Zoom stuff. But he hasn't stopped doing them is what I mean, and still does them alongside AAA games and Critical Role and all that. Most recently just from the beginning of this year, there's Persona 5, reprising his FE roles in Heroes, and had a part in Nier Automata. It's cool to see, being able to juggle all that stuff. I think Travis Willingham has been pretty similar to that, and Laura Bailey to a lesser extent.

I did notice he was one of the only VAs in Persona 5 who wasn't in their video interview series. I guess he must've been busy or something.

Last edited by NCZ; 03-21-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2017   #7
DisneyAnimefan1995
Banned

Post Re: The Future of Voice Acting...

Quote:
I think Travis Willingham has been pretty similar to that, and Laura Bailey to a lesser extent.
Although unlike Matt Mercer, they have been busy, and I mean very busy prioritizing on video games (the AAA and mo-cap titles), along with some original animation (mainly the Marvel and DC stuff). It obviously has to do with their schedules and wanted to something that pays better than anime, which is why they haven't been showing up in any new anime and JRPG projects in the last 3-5 years due to their schedules. Although they (especially Travis) have managed to reprise some of their older roles here and there as long as it fits with their flexible schedule.

Quote:
I did notice he was one of the only VAs in Persona 5 who wasn't in their video interview series. I guess he must've been busy or something.
I guess so, maybe he was either at a convention or doing Critical Role at the time, although he did mention on an interview somewhere dunno which one that he does Critical Role in the evenings when none of the actors are working. So who knows?

Last edited by DisneyAnimefan1995; 03-21-2017 at 09:06 PM.
DisneyAnimefan1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #8
NCZ

I will say I went on their pages just now to refresh myself and there was less than I remembered. Fire Emblem, Sonic, and Street Fighter. So you're right, it has mainly just been reprising older roles with fewer new anime/JRPG roles for them.

I think more to answer the main topic... With regards to casting we're going to see waaayyy more cases of inmates running the asylum, as it were. This is something that's already kind of starting to happen. There's more platforms for independent creators to get their stuff out there and thus independent VAs to find work. Voice acting is starting to go from a niche to something that has a strong following of its own. Many voice actors are becoming "personalities" of their own. People are starting to become voice actors not just because they moved to LA with dreams of screen acting and stumbled into it either as a lark or to make ends meet once or twice, but because they played and watched lots of cartoons and anime and games and decided they wanted to voice cartoons and anime and games. "Superstar" VAs are probably going to be the people who resonate most with the internet audience. Not just via shows, games, etc. that are popular on the Internet (especially thanks to Netflix, Twitch, Crunchyroll, etc.), but through their social media presence and interaction with fans.

Me... I just want to know how this site will fall in with everything. I wonder how much of a role we'll have had in the rolling balls of those trends.

Last edited by NCZ; 03-21-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2017   #9
Shaun Ince

I reckon 10 years down the line, Ray Chase will be the go to guy for video games. He'll be the new Nolan North/Troy Baker.
Shaun Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017   #10
huzaifa_ahmed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Ince View Post
I reckon 10 years down the line, Ray Chase will be the go to guy for video games. He'll be the new Nolan North/Troy Baker.
I have thought similarly to that. He has a similar voice timbre to Mercer & Baker. His voice is smaller but has a certain relaxed edge to it similar to Baker. I was listening to a panel with him & Matt & I was confused who was speaking at times, lol.

& beyond that, overall his rise has been extremely impressive over the the last 2-3 years, getting on Justice League Dark with a full celebrity cast, & without any establishment in original animation (which he himself is impressed/confused with), plus getting on Mass Effect Andromeda (which has people like Clancy Brown who rarely does games) & a ton of original games (plus a couple bigger dubs, like FFXV & Star Ocean V). On top of the fact that recent dubs have been spamming him.
huzaifa_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote