Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training

Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training A place for aspiring voice over talents to exchange tips and ideas, share stories, post demo and recording samples, and other training sources.

Old 12-08-2013   #1
MVGray9413

Question How to do a natural high male voices

Hey I have been told by friends and family that i have a very deep voice and I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to speak with a higher voice that sounds natural and not strained for characters that our younger, teen to young adult, and older characters who wouldn't sound right with a deep voice. any advice is well appreciated.
MVGray9413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013   #2
solidejake

Default Re: How to do a natural high male voices

I get where you're coming from, as I have a deep voice as well, but wish I could go higher sometimes. This is why they use females for young boys most of the time. What helps get the right tone is to relax your back, and try not to overdo a high pitched voice. If your voice is really that deep, this could be next-to-impossible. If it's moderately deep, you have a chance. So yeah, work your way up, and you could gradually get somewhere.
Old 02-10-2014   #3
Devin Graves

Send a message via AIM to Devin Graves
Cool Re: How to do a natural high male voices

Yeah, what Jake said. It's important to relax your vocal cords because straining your throat is going to strangle your sound, crack the voice and possibly even damage you vocal cords.

I recommend learning some singing techniques that you can find on YouTube, specifically the ones on high notes and head voice, because your tendency is to speak from the diaphragm in conjunction with your chest voice (using the entire length of your vocal cords).

You know how the bass notes on a harp are the longest and thickest cords? Your throat works quite similarly, except we can control how much of the cord we use. To do a higher pitch voice, you must speak completely with your head voice and only the upper part of your vocal cords. It's much easier to demonstrate than explain, but hopefully you get the idea.

My normal speaking voice is breathy and in the higher tenor range, so I had a ridiculously hard time trying to go low, because I didn't know my tendency was to use only about half of my vocal cords and speak with the head (which is more of a mix), but learning singing techniques has expanded my range all the way down to baritone, which I previously thought was impossible before learning more about my throat (which I found out is also capable of doing female voices into the soprano range).

So it may seem impossible now, but if you learn the techniques to master your vocal range, you truly can't figure out what your actual limit is. You might not be able to use your female vocal cords, but you should at least be able to adjust to higher keys with lots of practice, and the reason it takes a lot of practice is because our normal way is so natural to us, that it takes a lot of time to settle into a completely different way of using our throats.

The goal of course is to be able to talk in that mode for extended periods of time like it's the normallest thing in the world, without it wearing out your throat. When I was practicing my surfer dude and female voice, my throat used to get sore because I'm not used to using it in that way, and the muscles are much weaker, but it's also because I'm still learning how to use the voice efficiently with a relaxed throat, which is where the soreness comes from.
Devin Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #4
MilanTheVillain01

Send a message via MSN to MilanTheVillain01

Even though my voice has always been natural quite deep, even as a kid. Is it weird for me to say that it's the deeper voices that kill my throat & not the high one like you would expect?

For example, I can do the voice of the Unggoy/Grunts from the Halo games (just as good as Bungie writer, Joseph Staten) without no effort at all. Although it's a really forced falsetto pitch, I don't have any problems with throat strain or anything, despite sounding like the complete opposite.

Whereas, when I attempt to do Gravemind's voice from the same series, it hurts like a mofo.
Not really so much the voice itself, but rather, all the growls & roars that tend to go along with it (Dee Bradley Baker! How the hell do you do all those animal & creature sounds without completely ripping your throat out?)
MilanTheVillain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #5
Devin Graves

Question Re: How to do a natural high male voices

He's doing it the same way Tara Strong morphs her voice, with mastery of the vocal cords. They might've had coaches to teach them voice control, or maybe they're just voice geniuses. Either way, you need completely control and awareness of your vocal cords if you want to do any characters properly and smoothly, not to mention make them sound consistent.

Chances are you're doing it really wrong if it hurts that much. Gravemind has a subtle rumble in his voice, and shouldn't actually be hard to talk in for an extended period of time. It's very similar to the demonic voice, just spoken in a gentle way without malice which makes it sound different from the demonic one. I can imagine the demonic voice causing some strain, but Gravemind is slow and gentle enough to be a sustainable voice. I'm not entirely sure how to do it myself, since I've never tried, but it sounds like a deep chest voice combined with the vocal cords slightly apart to get that breathiness, and the rumbling sounds like a natural element from using a deep chest voice.

I'm curious to hear your grunt voice, because you say you're doing it with a forced sounding falsetto, and the grunt voice is not done with a falsetto, but rather with a raspy head voice. It's actually pretty technical now that I think about it, and a bit more difficult to tell because of the strain, but that is definitely not falsetto. Falsetto is a breathy voice and can't screech like a strained head voice does when it transitions from strained to unstrained. Falsetto is also unable to create a raspy sound, because it's the opposite of what the vocal cords' positioning needs to be in in order to produce rasp, which is to be strained together.

So, chances are if I listen to you doing it, I'd be able to tell right away that the sounds don't match, either that or you are using a strained head voice and just describing it with the wrong terms. But considering you have a naturally deep voice (I'm assuming at least middle baritone), I don't imagine your head voice could go that high unless you figured out how to tap into your female vocal cords. At this point, it's all just speculation. Since you claim to be as good as the original, I'm just gonna go with using the wrong terms.
Old 02-11-2014   #6
MilanTheVillain01

Well, I don't really know all my technical vocal range jargon, so maybe it is a head voice. I don't know. Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to tell the difference....

Granted, Gravemind's voice needed a few pitch-shifting effects here & there in order to make it sound the way it does. But as I said, it's not the voice itself, it's the growls & roars that accompany it. Go to my audition page here http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/...all/auditions/ & go to the Gravemind audition a third of the way down, you'll understand soon enough.
Old 02-11-2014   #7
Devin Graves

Hmm.. it's too heavily altered for me to tell anything, but it sounds kinda similar. I'm not sure what's causing your pain, but it's probably because you're using too much of your throat muscles rather than your voice. If you keep using your throat to where it causes pain, it could cause some serious damage, possibly permanently damage to your vocal cords. Gravemind's voice is way too mellow to be that strenuous.

I highly recommend looking into singing videos on YouTube about things like head voice, chest voice, mixed voice, and the like. It really gives you a good understanding of what sounds come out when you do certain things to your throat. There should also be videos that help with deepening your voice as far as it can go.

On a side note, your Ezreal voice is really great, haha. The attitude and energy are a bit lacking, but it totally sounds like him. Oh, and your Graves is fantastic, haha. I feel you really connected with him. The others lack energy and sound kinda stilted. You're really good at morphing your voice though; it's very impressive. Let go and really get into your lines! You can always tone it down a bit later if needed.

Last edited by Devin Graves; 02-11-2014 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-11-2014   #8
Cartoon_fan87

I have a deeper voice but I can make it go pretty high, I mostly learned from mimicking Frank Welker's characters with high pitched voices like Slimer and Nibbler for instance, my throat does hurt when I do a really gravely type of voice too much.

Last edited by Cartoon_fan87; 02-11-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Cartoon_fan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #9
MilanTheVillain01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Graves View Post
Hmm.. it's too heavily altered for me to tell anything, but it sounds kinda similar. I'm not sure what's causing your pain, but it's probably because you're using too much of your throat muscles rather than your voice. If you keep using your throat to where it causes pain, it could cause some serious damage, possibly permanently damage to your vocal cords. Gravemind's voice is way too mellow to be that strenuous.
Even as heavily altered as it was, did the roars sound painful to you? 'Cause they sure as hell were when I recorded them. I did high school drama from Year 7 to Year 12 & I never figured out how to breathe through the diaphragm & do a chest voice. & by the time I did it was already too late & I'd already graduated (I can only do a chest voice if it's Jason Griffith's Shadow the Hedgehog voice, his voices for Sonic the Hedgehog & Jet the Hawk are a little less obvious in terms of feeling the physical chest movements, or one of Travis Willingham's deeper voices like Slug, Onslaught, Ernest Baldwin, Zavok, etc, etc).

Having Asperger's Syndrome, I've never with been good with subtlety. In fact, I feel like I can't do anything right unless I overdo it. & with the Gravemind roars, I REALLY got into them!

(There are certain things that I know I just can't do. Like burping on command, for example. Even when people show all the various intricacies of how to do so.... Logically, my brain can't understand it & my body can't physically comprehend it. Luckily, having Austism Spectrum Disorder comes in handy for improvising various reasons to justify why I can or can't do certain things. & for this particular point in time, I feel like I'm interfering with the natural order of things. My body will do what it wants, when it wants, who it wants.... & that was probably too much information for both of us, quota rut demonstratum with the whole subtlety thing).

So, to make a long story short, I need to be hammy & over-the-top in order to get my point across.
Old 02-11-2014   #10
Devin Graves

I couldn't really hear the roaring, actually. But as for Sonic, there shouldn't be any chest resonance because Sonic is always done a head voice. It's gotten lower over the years, but they're all head voices. I'm not sure who Jet guy is. Shadow is a breathy mixed voice, which is head and chest combined, and there's a good amount of chest in there vs head. I think my voice is naturally too high to do Shadow, 'cause my mixed voice would be in the same range as Michaelangelo or Zuko, and both of them have a medium to medium high mixed voice. I wish I could do Shadow's voice though, 'cause that kinda voice is pretty hot, haha. But at the same time, I haven't tried mimicking many voices, so maybe someday I can.

I see. That must make it very hard to overcome certain obstacles. I feel the same way about certain things as well, like not being able to roll my R's and some other stuff; my tongue just isn't made to do lengthy/extravagant trills. Other times when I can't get something, it just takes a while and then suddenly it clicks, lol, after not being able to figure it out for a long time.

Oh, I forgot to mention this earlier, but you can think of falsetto as a high pitch male voice that has a breathy quality, while the head voice has a clear sound. Falsetto is the same principle as doing a regular breathy voice, but there's only a special term for it when you're doing high pitch sounds/notes, and is particularly used to do notes outside of the normal vocal range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoon_fan87 View Post
I have a deeper voice but I can make it go pretty high, I mostly learned from mimicking Frank Welker's characters with high pitched voices like Slimer and Nibbler for instance, my throat does hurt when I do a really gravely type of voice too much.
Going higher is always gonna be easier to achieve than going lower. It also takes more practice and more technique, since it's not normal for us to deepen our voice, only raise it. If you don't practice deepening your voice, the tendency is it's going to wear out your throat and vocal cords. Using proper technique also helps with reducing the amount of strain on the throat and lessens the burden on your vocal cords

Last edited by Devin Graves; 02-11-2014 at 07:37 PM.