Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 12-09-2019   #11
millicent

Default Guest Stars: Episode 6 (of 6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by millicent View Post
Coming soon: Guest Stars (episode 6 of 6)

Valetta
SUSAN BYRKETT (no BtVA profile)
English clip
Byrkett comparison A
Byrkett comparison B

Ryan
BRIANNE SIDDALL (as Jetta E. Bumpy)
English clip
Siddall comparison

Rivilian Man on Soapbox
DOUG STONE
English clip
Stone comparison

Rivilian Man Disgusted by Gillofer A
STEVE BULEN (as Stevie Beeline)
English clip
Bulen comparison

Rivilian Man Disgusted by Gillofer B
DOUG STONE
English clip
Stone comparison

Emaan Child A
DOROTHY FAHN (as Dorothy Melendrez)
English clip
Fahn comparison

Emaan Child B
English clip
Brianne Siddall? Does she ever do voices like this? I don't think it's Gines or Byrkett, and them only bringing Siddall in to do Ryan would seem odd.

Coming soon: Additional Voices and Narrator
millicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019   #12
millicent

Default Narrator

Narrator*
WENDEE LEE
English clip
Lee comparison
*The narrator, at least in the dub, is eventually revealed to be Torria, so it's possible by that logic that Wakana Yamazaki is thus also the narrator in the original version. Still, I can't find anything to outright prove that, and while the subtitles do back up the idea that the Japanese version plays with this same casting idea, those are apparently dubtitles. I don't believe a proper translation of the Japanese, whether via an official release or a fan effort has ever materialized.

Last edited by millicent; 12-09-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2019   #13
millicent

Default Arnie Hanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by millicent View Post
Episodes 3-4:

Member of the Rivilian Imperial Guard C
TOM KONKLE (as Arnie Hanks)
English clip
Hanks comparison*
*Taken from confirmed role as Karrock in Wings of Honneamise. The actual dub on Manga's VHS and DVD releases had cast credits that weren't actor-to-role; however, Animaze was evidently required to compile the aforementioned brief cast list for review/press purposes for Manga's brief theatrical release, and this is presumably where Sentai's re-release's cast list is sourced. Some years ago, I stumbled onto Tom Konkle's IMDb and, curious about his live action dubbing credits, checked him out on the invaluable but now defunct Voicebank.net. I then connected it to Arnie Hanks. I believe this same demo is now on his YouTube, and Konkle already has a BtVA profile. Konkle appears to be a comedian also, so the Arnie Hanks name would make sense (presumably riffing on Schwarzenegger and Tom Hanks, then arguably the two biggest male movie stars in the world). Additionally, here is Konkle's on-screen demo.

Rivilian Major General
English clip
*This same voice would always pop up in "Arnie Hanks" titles (Exhibit A: Honneamise; Exhibit B: El-Hazard OVA 1). Think he was one of those actors who just always seemed to be playing with their voice. You can hear a voice more in-between his young and old voices here in the first episode of Macross Plus, where Hanks is in the credits and doesn't play anyone else in the same episode.

Marketplace Rivilian Civilian B
English clip
Konkle comparison

Kerachi's Page
English clip
Konkle comparison
Hmm... Was coincidentally randomly looking at Streamline's Doomed Megalopolis (dubbed and released by Streamline in 93; re-released by ADV in the early 2000's) recently. Have always been sort of interested over the years in one of the lesser names from the cast credits (union--list-o'-names--not actor-to-role--in order of importance): Henry A. Cronelly Jr.--at least that's how ADV's re-creation of Streamline's credits renders it. For years, IMDb has had a page for one Henry Crowell that says Henry A. Cronelly Jr. is an alternate name. It was so out-of-left-field that I always assumed it was somethign added on behalf of the actor themselves. The other credit on there is for a largely lost Saban dub from the 90's, Jin Jin. I was able to get a hold of the Jin Jin credits at one point, and he was indeed in the credits as Henry A. Crowell Jr.

When I finally got a hold of Streamline's tapes of Doomed Megalopolis, I was surprised to see him rendered there as "Henry A. Connelly" or something similar. As I've brought up before, Streamline could get pretty odd with the misspellings at times. I'm guessing this IMDb profile for Henry Crowell Jr. with some credits as Henry A. Crowell Jr. is the same person and likely this Hank Crowell Jr. who already has a profile here on BtVA.

Well, I had always been meaning to check out Crowell in his confirmed roles in this Saturn FMV game that also features fellow dubber Michael Gregory. Good thing I did... I was always a little reluctant about the whole Tom Konkle = Arnie Hanks thing, and I'm pretty sure that Henry (aka Hank) A. Crowell is Arnie Hanks. Just listen to this part where he even goes from "Arnie Hanks"' young voice (confirmed role in Honneamise) into the same "old voice" (exhibit A; exhibit B) that always popped up in Arnie Hanks shows.

I assumed that the whole "Arnie Hanks" came from Schwarzenegger and Tom Hanks and due to Tom Konkle's being a comedian. Well, while that joke might still factor into the fake name somewhat, I think it has more to do with Henry (Hank for short) and the fact that Henry 'Hank' Crowell's middle name is most likely Arnold. Linking to it feels oddly intrusive, but research reveals that there are Americans (Californians even) with the name Henry Arnold Crowell, and for that to be the case for such a statistically un-common set of first and last names to begin with (according to one source, there are less than fifty people in the United States named Henry Crowell)...

Also, looking into it now, I spotted "Arnie Hanks" in Doomed Megalopolis.

tl;dr Think we need to move all of the Orguss 02 roles (and possibly Street Fighter II--need to look into that) on Tom Konkle's page over to Hank Crowell Jr's.

P.S. Noticed that the parts I assigned to Jeff Frayer by process of elimination sound similar to Lee West from Giant Robo (clip). West and Frayer were credited on the same show once (Moldiver) but not on the same episodes. Wouldn't shock me if they're the same guy, though no telling on which of the names is more likely the alias and more likely the real name. Both could be fake.
Old 12-13-2019   #14
Nightmare Crusher

Default Re: Orguss 02

I believe we've got everything sorted as far as Orguss goes. Thanks. Keep us posted on Street Fighter, yeah?
Nightmare Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019   #15
millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
I believe we've got everything sorted as far as Orguss goes. Thanks.
Thank you.

Sorry to keep having to make changes, but having looked at more Jeff Frayer titles, I think I've figured out his voice, and the two roles we have linked to him currently should be moved over to Lee West (who was presumably just uncredited) along with this part I mis-ID'd to Hal Cleveland. Frayer does pop up in a very small bit part in Orguss 02 episode 1 but not something big enough to really get put on the site. Given Frayer's sound and the small size of all his parts (the other a very small part as one of the old guys in Honneamise and an announcer in Moldiver episode 1) he might have been less an actor and more of a friend in the same way that Ted Rae, Les Claypool III, Joe Romersa, and Seymour himself had cameo-type parts.

Quote:
Keep us posted on Street Fighter, yeah?
The Bookie (clip)

Fairly sure that's Hank Crowell, Jr. and not Tom Konkle. While the latter does have 90's LA dubbing credits that doesn't necessarily mean he worked for Animaze.

Last edited by millicent; 12-14-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2019   #16
Nightmare Crusher

All taken care of. Thanks again.
Nightmare Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019   #17
millicent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
All taken care of. Thanks again.