Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 08-27-2017   #1
IMB

Default Keeping track of shows recorded in Asia

There are lots of anime and Korean or Chinese cartoons that receive English dubs produced in South East Asia (primarily Hong Kong, but it's not uncommon to see stuff recorded in the Philippines), but there's never a good source for information on them. Hopefully we can use this thread to take note of what's being produced and maybe even possibly identify some of the voice actors.

Some of the more recent productions:

Turning Mecard - a South Korean series airing in Canada and Australia. Almost certainly dubbed in Hong Kong.

Blazing Team S2 - a Chinese-American series from Hasbro airing in the US. It's pre-lay and was recorded in Hong Kong.
IMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017   #2
IMB

Default Re: Keeping track of shows recorded in Asia

Michael Pizzuto posted on Facebook that he's been recording a Chinese series called Beijing Opera Cats.

Splash Entertainment will distribute the series internationally, though it's not clear if they'll be using this HK dub.
Old 11-10-2017   #3
CRE040295
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMB View Post
Michael Pizzuto posted on Facebook that he's been recording a Chinese series called Beijing Opera Cats.

Splash Entertainment will distribute the series internationally, though it's not clear if they'll be using this HK dub.
No, IMB! Splash Entertainment, LLC. will not included the Hong Kong English dub for the Western release. According to Michael Pizzuto, he said "hi, thanks for that update. That is all news to me! haha! Our dub is likely just the Asian and African markets however." when I reply it, I said "#1. Does it distribution rights issues between Dazzling Star and Splash Entertainment, LLC.? #2. Who made the English dub, Omni Productions, Red Angel Media Ltd. or Medi-Lan Ltd.?" he later reply "Medi Lan no longer exists, as it was bought out by BTI studios. No idea about distribution. im just a lowly voice actor. haha." and "But was dubbed through SDI studio". When I'm reply him again I said "Oh thats right, Medi-Lan Ltd. went defunct as it was bought out by BTI Studios. So how many voice acting reseme at Medi-Land Ltd. and SDI Media Hong Kong Ltd?"

That's right, Beijing Opra Cats a.k.a. Jing-Ju Cats is getting two English dubs, the first English version was dubbed by SDI Media Hong Kong Ltd for Shanghai Toonmax Media Co., Ltd. for English-speaking Asian and African countries and the second English version was dubbed by either the Californian or Vancouver dubbing company for Splash Entertainment, LLC. for the worldwide release especially in Western countries (excluding aforementioned Asian and African countries).

Hmmm... what if the Splash English dub was going to be look like?

Speaking worldwide releases except Asian and African countries, when I send a message to ravegrl about the Western or worldwide distribution rights to anime, tokusatsu and Asian media except Asian countries what does that mean? When I post a comment on Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS Simulcast Begins: Everything You Need to Know it said "4K Media’s Yu-Gi-Oh! license doesn’t include Asia, so that’s to be expected." "Hey, ravegrl! When the western company bought the rights anime and tokusatsu series such as Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokémon (Pocket Monsters in Japan, South Korea and Chinese-speaking countries), Digimon, Ultraman, Pretty Cure, Bakugan Battle Brawlers, Beyblade, B-Daman, etc for worldwide release except Asian countries. Why the western licensors does not include anime and tokusatsu series for Asian countires? What does that mean in the context?" and "Hi, ravegrl! Are you going to reply to my message about why the western distribution company release the anime and tokusatsu movies and series for the worldwide release except Asian countries, what does that mean in the context?" she later reply "Hi there, thanks for writing, and sorry for the long delay. That's simply how the deals that the licensors made with the Western companies are structured. As you've pointed out, it is very, very common for licensors to exclude Asia. Maybe the licensors already have partners or subsidiaries in Asia and don't need the help of the Western companies in that region. That's a question to ask the licensors. I'll post this reply in the comments too." and "That’s simply how the deals that the licensors made with the Western companies are structured. As you’ve pointed out, it is very, very common for licensors to exclude Asia. Maybe the licensors already have partners or subsidiaries in Asia and don’t need the help of the Western companies in that region. That’s a question to ask the licensors.".

Last edited by CRE040295; 02-26-2018 at 04:52 PM. Reason: I'm updating about why many Asian media was licensed for the worldwide releases excluding Asian countries.
CRE040295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017   #4
IMB

Asian countries are usually excluded in the western licensing deals because the Asian license holder may already have a means to distribute the series there. A lot of the time, they distribute the shows themselves in these countries, or have a much smaller player do it for them. Yu-Gi-Oh!, for example, is usually handled in Asia by MediaLink. Many of these countries just straight up import the Japanese merchandise because of geographical proximity, so there's no need to have a big international firm represent the shows for licensing partnerships.

Anyway, Nippon Animation has recently set up an official YouTube channel for Chibi Maruko-chan. They've uploaded a handful of English dubbed episodes reportedly produced in India.
Old 12-16-2017   #5
IMB

Michael's also revealed that he's done a lot of work on the second Yo-Kai Watch movie. The first one aired on Toonami Asia last April.
Old 03-20-2018   #6
ldornbush

I just directed the English Dub, of the Legend of NeZha in Beijing. Here is a little trailer I threw together for my portfolio. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-iDeaUb4rU&t=19s The rights for this one was owned by CRI (China Radio International). We are wrapping up currently, I think it's going to get shelved. Fun project, but wouldn't ever be licensed in America.
ldornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018   #7
IMB

Quote:
Turning Mecard - a South Korean series airing in Canada and Australia. Almost certainly dubbed in Hong Kong.
Lydia Lee Tang:
Isobel
Dana

ED singer

She was also Koyomi and Medusa in the Kamen Rider Wizard dub.
Old 12-04-2018   #8
IMB

Quote:
Anyway, Nippon Animation has recently set up an official YouTube channel for Chibi Maruko-chan. They've uploaded a handful of English dubbed episodes reportedly produced in India.
They've started uploading newer episodes, produced in HD and 16:9. This time the dub is from Hong Kong and uncharacteristically for something from there, it has credits:

As far as I can tell, this was produced for The Japan Foundation and aired in some markets like Jamaica. No clue on how many episodes were done.

Many years ago, Omni in Hong Kong did a dub of the original series for Animax. Not sure if that'll get dug up for YouTube distribution.
Old 04-07-2019   #9
IMB

Zoids Wild has received a dub produced in Hong Kong that's currently airing on TV in the Philippines and Singapore. See some clips here.

Also, I found out recently that SDI Media's Hong Kong branch was behind the English Beast Saga and Gaist Crusher dubs. Those aired on Toonami Asia a few years back.

Quote:
Michael's also revealed that he's done a lot of work on the second Yo-Kai Watch movie. The first one aired on Toonami Asia last April.
This finally aired on Cartoon Network SEA on March 21st.

Michael also shared that he's in Earth Defense Force 5. Looking into that, it seems the game has proper credits for the voice cast. The EDF games are consistently inconsistent (Los Angeles, Tokyo, and now Kowloon), wrt to voice acting. It'll be interesting to see where Iron Rain is recorded.
Old 12-02-2019   #10
IMB

Quote:
Also, I found out recently that SDI Media's Hong Kong branch was behind the English Beast Saga and Gaist Crusher dubs. Those aired on Toonami Asia a few years back.
I've been told they're also behind the English dub of Time Bokan 24 that recently premiered on CN SEA.