Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training

Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training A place for aspiring voice over talents to exchange tips and ideas, share stories, post demo and recording samples, and other training sources.

Old 02-20-2013   #1
Hendercrazy

Cool Improving your acting abilities?

Obviously, some major ways to help improve your acting skills is to take acting & improv classes, hire a voice coach or even join up with a local drama group.

Outside of those things though... what do you do to try to improve your acting abilities?

Personally, this is really my weakest area right now. The biggest thing I've been doing is going through a list of emotions and trying to act out the same line with a different emotion... all while trying to stay in character. It's certainly helping... but I'm really curious to hear what everyone else is doing out there. I'm hoping that others have some great exercises and techniques that they're willing to share. Maybe find some new ways to grow and stretch out.
Hendercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #2
Wolfie

Default Re: Improving your acting abilities?

I tend to analyse cartoons while I watch them to get a feel for characters and often try to imitate their voices. It helps to get empathetic while watching anything as it lets you get right into the character's soul and feel their emotions. I've found the more you connect, the more you're able to add emotion to your voice and bring voiceless characters to life
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013   #3
shroomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendercrazy View Post
Obviously, some major ways to help improve your acting skills is to take acting & improv classes, hire a voice coach or even join up with a local drama group.

Outside of those things though... what do you do to try to improve your acting abilities?

Personally, this is really my weakest area right now. The biggest thing I've been doing is going through a list of emotions and trying to act out the same line with a different emotion... all while trying to stay in character. It's certainly helping... but I'm really curious to hear what everyone else is doing out there. I'm hoping that others have some great exercises and techniques that they're willing to share. Maybe find some new ways to grow and stretch out.
Really need help in some of the areas where i can improve my pitching. More interested in background sounds or the digital media..
shroomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #4
shroomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I tend to analyse cartoons while I watch them to get a feel for characters and often try to imitate their voices. It helps to get empathetic while watching anything as it lets you get right into the character's soul and feel their emotions. I've found the more you connect, the more you're able to add emotion to your voice and bring voiceless characters to life
Thats something true.. And if you can feel about the characters it automatically generates real feeling among yourself.
shroomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013   #5
Hendercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Definitely a good idea! I just recently did some refreshing on some of the Generation 1 Transformers before auditioning for some of the roles open in the CASTING CALL section of BTVA.
Old 02-28-2013   #6
Hendercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomy View Post
Really need help in some of the areas where i can improve my pitching. More interested in background sounds or the digital media..
You should start a separate topic thread for this stuff and see what kind of responses you get.
Old 03-19-2013   #7
mkpresson

I'm not a pro. I'm learning just like many others here because I want to be in that bullpen of Greats someday.

I've taken to listening to individual lines of dialogue over and over and over until its memorized. I analyze and try to recreate the peaks and valleys, where the artist emphasized syllables either raising their pitch or lowering it, where it slowed down, sped up, any staccato in the words, if there was a laugh or chuckle, or breath, how long it took, any breaks in them (like the effect tonguing on a flute or wind instrument gives), the overall tone, and go back to my roots of stage and improv.

Improv really does help --even if it's just you and a few friends playing at home for fun. I suggest the "No 's'" game. Try to talk about something for 1 minute without using the lesser "S" anywhere. It's not as easy as you think. "'Radio Dial Spin' or "TV channel Changer" are also good ones for imitating what you hear.
mkpresson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #8
Gatch

If you were to hire a voice coach wouldn't you need to be close to him or her? I have heard that face to face contact is the best but that might not be true, because someone once told me that you could do it over the phone. Speaking of emotions sometimes it's really hard to express them, everyone in the world has a different way of expressing themselves and i really think it's great when people give you feedback because you might lack something and then when they tell you you see if you can try to fix it. Although to be honest if you can't portray a certain character or various emotions in general do you think it's best to leave it or continue onwards with it?

Last edited by Gatch; 05-05-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Fixing Words
Gatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #9
Mashudes

Send a message via Yahoo to Mashudes

Try and bond with your fellow actors depending on what relationship your character has with another.

For example I am playing Krillin in an abridged series and since Krillin is the husband of Android 18 I try and develop a close relationship with Android 18's actor. That way in certain situations like Krillin's death it will be easier to let your emotions out.
Mashudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #10
KelleyinPDX

I'm glad I found this thread! I am new to the voice acting thing, and it is great to find these tips. I am still trying to find the courage to audition for my friend's project in this site. Does anyone have any tips for the people who do not particularly like the sound of their own voice? I could imagine voice acting isn't the great thing to get into if that is a weakness of your character, but I want to work on this so it is not a problem for me, and so I can feel confident with myself and my multiple abilities.

Thank you, any advice is much appreciated.

Kelley