Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Voice Actors > General Voice Actor Discussion

General Voice Actor Discussion General discussion about the actual people behind the voices should go here.

Old 04-22-2021   #291
NitroEX

Default Re: Are Vancouver dubs going to go extinct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMB View Post
Then there's this ... That could refer to someone else, though, what's the likelihood of two companies with that name dubbing anime for Toei? I'm not sure why SAG would've found out about something being done in Canada. I've always assumed the LA-based Canadians who still record Canadian productions have dual union memberships, but who knows. One of the weirder ways to find out a show is being dubbed.
So I guess that means it'll likely be moved to Calgary unless they pull the plug and dub it somewhere else. It'll be a shame if that's the case. I can't imagine what they might've done to screw this up, the article is rather vague.
NitroEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021   #292
drakh
Junior Contributor

Quote:
Then there's this ... That could refer to someone else, though, what's the likelihood of two companies with that name dubbing anime for Toei? I'm not sure why SAG would've found out about something being done in Canada. I've always assumed the LA-based Canadians who still record Canadian productions have dual union memberships, but who knows. One of the weirder ways to find out a show is being dubbed.
I mean, Ocean Media is not as far as I know a union signatory - Interpacific Productions is. It's always the latter who hires the actors in Vancouver, and who's also the one listed as SAG signatory on the Norm of the North movies. It's possible someone used the wrong company name, and this is a mistake. But Ocean isn't exactly new to working with Americans. Could also be they're trying something "creative" by throwing Blue Water into the mix, and SAG isn't quite as willing to tolerate it the same way UBCP/ACTRA is.
drakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021   #293
drakh
Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroEX View Post
So I guess that means it'll likely be moved to Calgary unless they pull the plug and dub it somewhere else. It'll be a shame if that's the case. I can't imagine what they might've done to screw this up, the article is rather vague.
Well, this would only affect actors in the US (unless Ocean's really screwed the pooch and gotten ACTRA pissed off at them as well).

Having thought about it... This is presumably about Ocean either using some of their former actors like Trevor Devall or Jillian Michaels who are now in LA, or some US actor the client wanted them to use for some reason, recording them remotely over the internet. It could be just a mistake, someone filed the wrong paperwork - sent it to the wrong union maybe, or forgot to submit something that was required. That would presumably be resolvable and production can continue.

But even if it's a real issue, recasting the affected characters should be enough. There would be no need to move the production, unless the client is really determined to keep the SAG actors.
Old 04-27-2021   #294
millicent
Junior Contributor

231x264 252x288 273x312 294x336 315x360 336x384 357x408 378x432 399x456 420x480 441x504 462x528 483x552 504x576 525x600 546x624 567x648 588x672 609x696 630x720 651x744 672x768 693x792 714x816 735x840 756x864 777x888 798x912 819x936 840x960 861x984...
millicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021   #295
IMB
Junior Contributor

I guess that should rule out any issues stemming from potential Alberta cast members. It's a clear "they tried to hire SAG members without a contract with SAG" situation. Have to wonder if this is all regarding dual citizens and Ocean trying to hire them under an ACTRA contract. Though, if that was the case you'd think this would've been cleared up before a "Do not work" notice was shared. We've seen plenty of LA-based Canadian ex-pats wind up in shows that only mention ACTRA, so it would be odd if an anime dub in 2021 caught attention.

I've seen some suggestions that Square Enix might be dubbing the console game with a different cast and Ocean tried bringing them back. My biggest issue is that Toei could've easily just hired a U.S. studio instead. They've worked with Bang Zoom and Studiopolis before, so they're not strangers. Also, if SE were localizing the game independent of what the anime was doing, wouldn't it be dubbed by Side UK like all the other DQ game dubs?
IMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021   #296
drakh
Junior Contributor

Quote:
It's a clear "they tried to hire SAG members without a contract with SAG" situation. Have to wonder if this is all regarding dual citizens and Ocean trying to hire them under an ACTRA contract. Though, if that was the case you'd think this would've been cleared up before a "Do not work" notice was shared. We've seen plenty of LA-based Canadian ex-pats wind up in shows that only mention ACTRA, so it would be odd if an anime dub in 2021 caught attention.
From what I've seen of the ACTRA/SAG agreements, they make it pretty clear that the US is SAG territory, and everything done there must be under SAG. So it's possible the expats ACTRA thing is something like non-union anime dubs before everyone went core, clearly a violation of the rules but they get away with it because SAG is ignoring it.

It makes no sense that the line in the sand be drawn for dubbing though. The generic SAG dubbing contract hasn't been updated since the mid 2000s. It's probably the least lucrative dubbing contract out there at this point, less than non-union work, certainly much less than the ACTRA one.

One possibility is that SAG doesn't actually have any clear facts about the situation at all, just someone heard about this and decided to alert them about "Ocean Media" and they didn't find any signatory under that name.

Millicent, it's too bad you didn't mention InterPacific already being in the signatory database, hiring actors for the Norm of the North movies under "GR1 ACTRA Memorandum".
Old 05-05-2021   #297
IMB
Junior Contributor

???
Quote:
Yea I thought the same! Apparently they entered into a contract in LA, but backed out, and are reportedly going to try to produce [Dragon Quest] in Texas instead
IMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021   #298
drakh
Junior Contributor

Quote:
I suppose if COVID broke the remote recording barrier, and you're already getting away with mixed Vancouver/Blue Water casts... Adding non-union US talent to the mix is the next step.

Could of course be that he's just repeating vague murmurs and has no direct knowledge of the situation.