Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > Anime

Anime Discuss everything in the world of Anime here.

Old 02-17-2014   #1
NikkolasKing

Default Gundam

I recently became a Gundam fan. I saw G Gundam way back in high school but it was so long ago and it wasn't even a "real Gundam series" that I didn't count myself as a fan of the franchise.

Howeve ra couple eeks ago I started on the Universal Century, watching the original anime, 08th MS Team, Stardust Memory and I just finished Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack.

Of those four, Zeta was easily the best. Like, it's not even close. The story, characters, music... All perfection. Well, closer to it than any of the rest. I also apparently take the minority opinion that the dub was pretty good. You can't compare it to the MS Team dub because the latter show was substantially shorter and had far fewer characters. But yeah, those two were the best dubbed I've seen so far. The original MSG was the worst in that regard because I think everyone was eager to go home or something. No one in the main cast put in an ounce of effort. The massive improvement in CCA proves this.

I'm gonna be starting SEED next and I've heard many say it is possibly the best TV series dub of a Gundam. I am eager to try it out.

Anyway, are there other Gundam fans here? What are your favorite series? Thoughts on the best English dubs? (I only watch dubs BTW. I have bad eyesight)
NikkolasKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #2
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Default Re: Gundam

My favorite series actually is G just for how over the top and fun it is while still having memorable characters who have depth, although I feel that Allenby is completely superfluous. The dub was really shaky when it started, but once they got to Neo Hong Kong it started to get much better.

Sneaking of dubs I couldn't disagree more with your opinions on the dubs for the original and Zeta. The original series dub isn't exactly the greatest ever, but it was serviceable and paved the way for the much improved Char's Counterattack dub. The Zeta dub is just terrible in my eyes. Jonathan Love as Scirocco was absolutely magnificent and Carol Anne Day gave an almost equally great performance as Four, but the good times end there for me. Kamille sounds obnoxious whenever he has to raise his voice. Tom Edwards' Char is a weak Michael Kopsa impression at best and incredibly stiff and boring at worst. Lisa Christie's Emma sounds like she has something in her mouth all the time. Matthew Erickson is insanely generic as Amuro. Valerie Howell as Haman either sounds way too young and weak or has some of the flattest acting I have EVER heard. Finally, there's Fa who has one of the most whiny and insipid voices conceivable. I genuinely cringe every time I hear it in the show or any of the video games. Yeah, I really don't like the Zeta dub. What makes it more disappointing is how fantastic the show itself is.

You ever just... think about life?
Nightmare Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #3
NikkolasKing

I've been listening to Ocean VAs for years and years now, going back to early 2000 witH Inuyasha and X-Men Evolution. I know the talent of Richard Ian Cox, Kelly Sheridan and Brad Swaile. Well, I know Brad more from Zoids New Century Zero as he is a man destined to be king. But my point is I know that, when they are putting in an ounce of effort, they are very good. But it seemed abundantly clear to me that no one in MSG was really trying. Listen to Kai's "crying" over Miharu, or Amuro whining about how he destroyed the wrong military base. I think my biggest disappointment is Willow Johnson as Lalah. She was so beyond perfect as Kikyo, another tragic character, but she just read her lines so passionlessly (not a word but whatever( and it really left me disgusted with the whole dub.\

Zeta's actors aren't as good, I'll concede to that, but at least they put in some effort. I don't see how anyone can listen to Inuyasha's dub or Zoids New Century Zero's dub and then go to MSG and think "yep, they gave it their A-game." They didn't even give it their D-game.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off rude or anything. I just was so let down by the MSG dub and I loved Zeta so very much.

I would be honored to hear your thoughts on other Gundam dubs though, even if we disagree on this particular issue. I've been looking around a lot of the VA pages and seen you posted on a lot of them. What are your thoughts on Wing's, Seed's and 00's dubs? I still have to watch all of those.

Last edited by NikkolasKing; 02-18-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-18-2014   #4
Autovolt

I've only seen three Gundam series, the original, Wing and 00.

Gundam 00 is my favorite of the bunch.
Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #5
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

The original show isn't the best that Ocean can do and it does have some cringe worthy moments, but I still think that overall it's a solid dub. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.

The dubs of Wing and 00 are both pretty good. The difference being that I thought 00 was of consistent quality throughout while the Wing dubbed started off worse than 00, but got better than it over time. The dub for Seed(and Seed Destiny) are functional, but nothing spectacular. Although when comes to actual quality as a show I think that Wing and 00 are a little overrated by the fanbase, but are still enjoyable. The first Seed is okay, but some parts of it just come off as a weaker version of the original series. Seed Destiny is an abomination of pretension and excess stock footage, but that's another rant altogether. I will say that they both have great music and some really cool mobile suits, although some of the Gundams in Destiny aren't very good in my eyes.

Last edited by Nightmare Crusher; 03-26-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2014   #6
akersaotome

My first exposure to the Gundam franchise was Gundam Wing back the early 2000's. I didn't really understand much of the story due to its heavy politics early into the series. The later half became alot more clear as the story evened itself out. It was my first exposure to the Vancouver talent as the same voice actors also worked on the first generation english dub, TV broadcast safe version of Dragon Ball Z.

After Gundam Wing, I've watched Gundam X, Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory, Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Turn a Gundam, Gundam Seed/Destiny and Gundam 00.

Gundam Seed was pretty popular in Japan due to its soap opera style. Seed Destiny I didn't like because it was a mess of a show. The Japanese VA's were opposed to the Chiaki Morosawa (the series writer) ideas for Cagalli's role in Seed Destiny. This was based on a rumour that Naomi Shindo (VA of Cagalli Yula Athha) was getting abit too close with series director Mitsuo Fukuda (Chiaki Morosawa's husband). It got so bad for Morosawa that she decided to reduce the role of Shinn Asuka from protagonist to support to punish Kenichi Suzumura (VA of Shinn Asuka) for being the most vocal to the direction Morosawa wanted for Cagalli. That didn't stop the show from being a mess with the recycling of scenes (especially the action scenes) to the hurried ending, immediately after a character was killed right near the end.

Gundam 00 was pretty to look at, a big departure from the Gundam Seed look which I didn't like the character designs. 2008 was a big year for mecha series both Macross Frontier and Code Geass R2 were competition. Gundam 00 turned out to be pretty successful as it produced a second series and a follow up movie, Awakening of the trailblazer. I only tiny complaint of the english audio is the casting for Graham Aker. I have nothing against Paul Dobson since he is a fine voice actor, but I think Mark Hildreth (VA for Heero Yuy from Gundam Wing) would have been perfect for Graham Aker.

The latest titles of the Gundam franchise are Gundam Age and Gundam Build Fighters. I believe both titles are mainly suited for younger viewers as the characters from both series are younger than the average Gundam lead characters.

Now that Bandai Entertainment is gone, for future Gundam titles I like to see Funimation and Sentai Filmworks get those properties and I'll be interested in seeing how they work on them.
akersaotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #7
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by akersaotome View Post

Seed Destiny I didn't like because it was a mess of a show. The Japanese VA's were opposed to the Chiaki Morosawa (the series writer) ideas for Cagalli's role in Seed Destiny. This was based on a rumour that Naomi Shindo (VA of Cagalli Yula Athha) was getting abit too close with series director Mitsuo Fukuda (Chiaki Morosawa's husband). It got so bad for Morosawa that she decided to reduce the role of Shinn Asuka from protagonist to support to punish Kenichi Suzumura (VA of Shinn Asuka) for being the most vocal to the direction Morosawa wanted for Cagalli. That didn't stop the show from being a mess with the recycling of scenes (especially the action scenes) to the hurried ending, immediately after a character was killed right near the end.
I knew that Destiny was a huge mess behind the scenes, but I didn't know it was that bad. No wonder Kenichi Suzumura said that Super Robot Wars did Shinn's character better than the actual show.(which it did)

Old 02-18-2014   #8
NikkolasKing

I love Funi and consider stuff like FMA some of the greatest dubs around but I really want Gundam to stay with Ocean. Yes 08th MS Team was great, and I liked Unicorn's dub well enough, but I feel the Ocean cast isn't used enough and is underrated. How awesome would it be to have Janyse Jaud as a main Gundam female in the future?
Old 02-18-2014   #9
akersaotome

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkolasKing View Post
I love Funi and consider stuff like FMA some of the greatest dubs around but I really want Gundam to stay with Ocean. Yes 08th MS Team was great, and I liked Unicorn's dub well enough, but I feel the Ocean cast isn't used enough and is underrated. How awesome would it be to have Janyse Jaud as a main Gundam female in the future?
I like the Vancouver talent pool too as I also like the some of the voice acting talent in L.A, Dallas and Houston. As for Ocean Studios, they do other stuff too besides dubbing international products like anime, such as prelay for North American made animation.

As for Janyse Jaud, I hear her as more of a captain of the ship. Can't always be Lisa Ann Beley as the captain.

Returning to Gundam, I'd like to call Brad Swaile "Prince Gundam" since he's been in several Gundam series as regular characters. Played as Amuro Ray of Mobile Suit Gundam, Quatre Raberba Winner of Gundam Wing, Dearka Elsman of Gundam Seed, Auel Neider of Gundam Seed Destiny; and Setsuna F. Seiei of Gundam 00.
akersaotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #10
NikkolasKing

I'm enjoying SEED so far. Rau has an excellent voice but so does Kira and Athrun and La Flaga. My only complaint is Lacus' VA who made her sound like she was 10 instead of 16. It's a cute voice but she was miscast.

Compared to the other dubs I've heard, it's right up there with 08th MS Team. Everyone plays off each othr very well, which is to be expected since we have a couple members of Ed, Edd and Eddy on the dub front.