Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 11-27-2019   #11
millicent

Default Re: The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare Crusher View Post
I can't help but notice that they changed Sanjiyan's voice between episode 2 and 3. Must've been a bit of a sticky situation if they couldn't retain a major character's voice for just two episodes.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. If I'm not mistaken, Alexandra Kenworthy is a painter/fine artist or something, and I always assumed based off of how she didn't show up all that often (despite being quite good and seeming to possess a voice type that would be very useful for casting directors) that acting was more of a side gig to her. She tended to pop up mostly in dubs directed by her son, Greg Snegoff, who the late Carl Macek was close friends with. Could be that Kenworthy doing Sanjhiyan was already more of a favor to Macek than anything.

While Pretend did evidently try to get people back, I always felt that their dubs (while also all union like Streamline) seemed a little cheaper--like they couldn't hire as many actors, and the actors that they did hire were far more "standard choices" where Streamline did in all fairness tend to mix things up a bit more.

Quote:
Whatever the case, it's a shame this stuff is so hard to find now. It seems like these OVAs are just kind of forgotten now despite all the effort that must've been put into them.
I feel like 3x3 Eyes has always kind of been like that in the North American market. Even when the manga was being serialized in some proto-Shonen Jump mag it always felt like Dark Horse was trying to push the title harder than fans were interested. I recall finding old posts on rec.arts.anime where people claimed Macek was more talked into licensing it by the license than it actually being something he was gung-ho about (take it with a grain of salt...) Even Pioneer only licensed it through a package deal with Akira and Miffy, and the fact that Discotek for one hasn't picked it up yet seems like a bad sign...

Quote:
I don't want to be pushy, but how soon do you think you can have stuff up for the rest of the first OVA's Streamline cast? I'd like to have everything nice and complete, you know?
Oh yeah, no prob. Sorry, had a bunch of screencaps and images and stuff backlogged that I wanted to get posted first in various threads and just get it out of the way. I'll get everything done tonight.
millicent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019   #12
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Default Re: The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by millicent View Post
While Pretend did evidently try to get people back, I always felt that their dubs (while also all union like Streamline) seemed a little cheaper--like they couldn't hire as many actors, and the actors that they did hire were far more "standard choices" where Streamline did in all fairness tend to mix things up a bit more.
I definitely got a cheap vibe from stuff like "Steve Blum as the old people" and "Kirk Thornton as both villains." Orion's situation can't have been helping.

Quote:
I feel like 3x3 Eyes has always kind of been like that in the North American market. Even when the manga was being serialized in some proto-Shonen Jump mag it always felt like Dark Horse was trying to push the title harder than fans were interested. I recall finding old posts on rec.arts.anime where people claimed Macek was more talked into licensing it by the license than it actually being something he was gung-ho about (take it with a grain of salt...) Even Pioneer only licensed it through a package deal with Akira and Miffy, and the fact that Discotek for one hasn't picked it up yet seems like a bad sign...
Stuff like getting two dubs, having both of them be union AND the cast sported by the second of those definitely seems like the result of a hard push. Which is funny because I'd heard these OVAs aren't in the best shape in Japan either. Something about a Blu-Ray release that was just an upscale of an old, crappy looking DVD version.

Quote:
Oh yeah, no prob. Sorry, had a bunch of screencaps and images and stuff backlogged that I wanted to get posted first in various threads and just get it out of the way. I'll get everything done tonight.
Sounds good.
Nightmare Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019   #13
millicent

Default Benares

Benares: David Povall

Quote:
I definitely got a cheap vibe from stuff like "Steve Blum as the old people" and "Kirk Thornton as both villains."
Haha, yeah totally. Granted, it's weird to think that Blum might have still been considered a relatively "new talent" at that time. He had been around for a while, but I believe this is when he really started working outside of Animaze. It's my understanding that the early Animaze years weren't really something Blum thought he could pursue full-time--at least at that time.

Quote:
Orion's situation can't have been helping.
Yeah, according to Macek, their deal was theoretically supposed to give Macek capital for dubbing and things. In the end, that never really happened, and Macek was left to do what he always did: pay out of his own pocket without taking loans. As a result of this, Macek actually started dubbing Megazone 23: Part II toward the end of Streamline's time. He said it was only like 75% done and was waiting on Orion to fund the rest. Presumably never happened, and we're left with another lost dub.

Quote:
Stuff like getting two dubs, having both of them be union AND the cast sported by the second of those definitely seems like the result of a hard push.
Yeah, that's always kind of baffled me that way. Then again, I've always wondered how much that was Weisman and Jaffe pulling their magic versus Pioneer being behind it. The latter got Roddy 'friggin' McDowall to be in his Evangelion fandub and possibly has connections through his early days as a child actor. I wonder whether the wages were anything above SAG animation dubbing scale. Then again, Pioneer did have a bit of phase with celebrities: Naomi Armitage in the Armitage movies, Sean Young and Robert Loggia in Dog of Flanders, getting Don LaFontaine to narrate their trailers for a while... So hey, I guess you never know.

Quote:
Which is funny because I'd heard these OVAs aren't in the best shape in Japan either. Something about a Blu-Ray release that was just an upscale of an old, crappy looking DVD version.
Oh yeah, I forgot that this was one of those titles that got an expensive bluray release that wound up just being a crummy upscale.
Old 11-27-2019   #14
millicent

Default Frog Demon

Frog Demon: Steve Kramer
Old 11-27-2019   #15
millicent

Default Monkey

Monkey: Kerrigan Mahan*

Episode 2 was evidently ghost directed by Rik Thomas, as every single one of Yakumo's friends was played by two people. According to the old CrystalAcids entry which I updated at some point, Macek himself was the other monkey. Let me go find a clip...
Old 11-27-2019   #16
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Default Re: Monkey

Quote:
Episode 2 was evidently ghost directed by Rik Thomas, as every single one of Yakumo's friends was played by two people. According to the old CrystalAcids entry which I updated at some point, Macek himself was the other monkey. Let me go find a clip...
All of them? In one episode? That sounds like something you'd get from an intentional joke dub.
Old 11-27-2019   #17
millicent

Quote:
Monkey - Macek

Only line I could find. Possibly the only one he did due to losing Mahan's version of the same line or whatever. I know Macek's voice very well just from listening to numerous things with him over the years, so I might be biased in being able to make the identification. This isn't the best comparison point, but I feel like you can still sort of hear his signature strain-y qualities in both clips.
Old 11-27-2019   #18
millicent

Quote:
All of them? In one episode? That sounds like something you'd get from an intentional joke dub.
Right? I was kinda thinking that maybe the screw-up started when they got Monkey and Hide confused--two glasses-wearing buddies with moles in the same place and all.
Old 11-27-2019   #19
millicent

Default Hide

Hide: Carl Macek
Comparison
Old 11-27-2019   #20
Nightmare Crusher
Top Contributor

Default Re: Hide

Quote:
Hide: Carl Macek
Comparison
Played by the VD in both dubs, huh? Guess Hide is one of those small roles that a director can easily slip in as. I just didn't expect it to happen twice.