Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > TV / Movie / Game Central > TV Discussion

TV Discussion Chat about your favorite shows and series here.

Old 10-04-2015   #61
SupremeTarantulas

Default Re: New Guardians of the Galaxy series

Not feeling the whole VA change from Jeff to Tom for Collector, it's not like Jeff couldn't pull this off at all, his impressions are pretty good, and Tom is too recognizable. Was that Fin Fang Foom at the beginning? They haven't fought him, and why is he in space?

Cast is solid IMO, and enjoy the musical montages so far, but I liked the "Drift Away" part at the end of the 2nd episode the most, wish we got more so I could make out which version it was though the Thanos plot was meh. Nothing really special.

I do consider this my favorite of the shows now though.

Last edited by SupremeTarantulas; 10-05-2015 at 12:46 PM.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015   #62
Polyester Funk

Is this series really supposed to be in continuity with the others? Based on the Collector change I'd say no. He seems to be much more "normal guy"(albeit a very flamboyant one) than the Elder of the Universe version from USM. I mean he was using more technology and wasn't floating around the way the other one was. I know they've used these new designs on AA, but I think that's just how the GOTG are gonna look now as opposed to them really fitting in with the other series. Now next week or so they'll do something that shows that they are connected and play really fast and loose with the continuity.

I thought Tom's accent was French at first, but the more I heard of it, I think it was supposed to be Argentinean or something South American. He sounded like what I've heard of Pope Francis and the impressions of him.
Polyester Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015   #63
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Was that Fin Fang Foom at the beginning? They haven't fought him, and why is he in space?
Yeah, it was FFF. Collector namedrops him in the third act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyester Funk View Post
Is this series really supposed to be in continuity with the others? Based on the Collector change I'd say no. He seems to be much more "normal guy"(albeit a very flamboyant one) than the Elder of the Universe version from USM. I mean he was using more technology and wasn't floating around the way the other one was. I know they've used these new designs on AA, but I think that's just how the GOTG are gonna look now as opposed to them really fitting in with the other series. Now next week or so they'll do something that shows that they are connected and play really fast and loose with the continuity.
I'd say that despite the changes, it is still supposed to be in continuity with AA/USM/SMASH.

Consider that they deliberately updated the designs/voice actors of the Guardians when they appeared in their AA/USM/SMASH episodes (in an attempt to help transition for the new GotG show).

In my mind, unless there's something that deliberately disproves the connection, then they're connected. Right now the big change with Collector is probably the most jarring thing. We'll have to see how characters like Grandmaster, Titus, Loki, etc. are handled in the future.

But for all intents and purposes, I have no doubt that Marvel Animation's plan is for them all to be connected.
Old 10-10-2015   #64
SupremeTarantulas

I think Jeff is just Grandmaster now, and they decided Collector someone else, could be wrong though.
Old 10-11-2015   #65
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
I think Jeff is just Grandmaster now, and they decided Collector someone else, could be wrong though.
He's not even Grandmaster anymore. Jason Spisak voices him, in a more "announcer"-esque John O'Hurley kind of portrayal. Jason does all right, but again, I wish they got Jeff back.
Old 10-11-2015   #66
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMirage View Post
He's not even Grandmaster anymore. Jason Spisak voices him, in a more "announcer"-esque John O'Hurley kind of portrayal. Jason does all right, but again, I wish they got Jeff back.
Dang that sucks. Is this episode out or coming out?
Old 10-11-2015   #67
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Dang that sucks. Is this episode out or coming out?
It's episode 4, airing/aired this weekend.
Old 10-11-2015   #68
Autovolt

and once again Marvel continues to be careless with their voice actors.

Autovolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015   #69
TylerMirage
It's time to oil up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autovolt View Post
and once again Marvel continues to be careless with their voice actors.

I wouldn't say careless, I'd say that we just don't quite understand their reasoning as to who stays and who goes. We have no idea if it's budget-related, schedule-related, or creative-related. Maybe Jeff was unavailable? Or maybe they just thought "we want to recast just because"?

They no doubt want this to be connected to USM/AA/SMASH, but the wishy-washy nature of voice actors/designs for characters across the titles kind of make it seem like they just don't care. :/

I mean, they go through the effort to switch Star-Lord and Rocket (in terms of designs and voices) in USM/AA/SMASH in order to better match with the new GotG series. They keep Isaac as Thanos, but not James C. Mathis as Ronan. They keep JB Blanc as Titus, even though his design and voice is slightly altered. They completely rework Collector from how he appears/sounds, but guaranteed that Troy is going to reprise Loki when he shows up and that if the Avengers show up, they'll be frame-for-frame their AA counterparts. So there's not really much rhyme or reason as to who stays and who goes, that I can see, at least.
Old 10-11-2015   #70
SupremeTarantulas

Jasin get menacing as Grnasmaster a few times but he's easily the weakest IMO. not much more to say about this other than I think Vanessa is an improvement over Nika. Not sure is she's supposed to sound like Zoe but I prefer it regardless.

Last edited by SupremeTarantulas; 10-14-2015 at 05:00 PM.