Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > The Art of Voice Acting > Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training

Voice Acting Tips, Demos / Samples, and Training A place for aspiring voice over talents to exchange tips and ideas, share stories, post demo and recording samples, and other training sources.

Old 12-31-2013   #31
SierraVO

Talking Re: What recording stuff are you using?

I use garageband for recording and editing. It's pretty simple and easy, plus, it's free

As for a microphone I use a Blue Yeti Mic. It's an awesome microphone and it's a USB one, so it plugs right into your computer.

I also use a Auralex MudGuard Vocal Isolator. It's great if your records have to much reverb or fuzz, since it makes the sound nice and clear! I also can be attached to a mic stand!

I used to use a pop filter but I'm having trouble reattaching it with the isolation box taking up some much space... Sadly cause of that more emphasis has been showing up whenever I say a "p" or "s"
Old 07-07-2014   #32
Bar17

Post Re: What recording stuff are you using?

On my voice recording app on my ipad:
Bar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014   #33
baileymermaid95

Default Re: What recording stuff are you using?

So this is a mix of what I use/ideas for new members on a budget! Cause let's be real, I understand the turmoil of trying to produce the best quality sound with limited equipment. Here are my sort-of-helpful (definitely amateur) tips:

1. Use what you have! I had an old Rock Band microphone that could plug into the USB port of my computer. While it would be nice to have a $300 dynamic microphone, I have something that works!

2. Have a place to record! Make yourself a sound booth! I'm not going to lie, I use my closet as my "sound booth". It not only gives you a place to focus, but helps eliminate unnecessary background noise because you wouldn't bring your barking dog or your loud fan into your recording booth. Here is a link for other great ways to eliminate background noise before you even start recording: http://theaudacitytopodcast.com/tap0...with-audacity/

3. Get Audacity! Everyone has a software program they like; personally, I prefer to do all my editing from the free version of Wavepad. However, no free program can eliminate spectral noise quite like Audacity. Noise removal is all I use it for, but it is worth it! Just highlight a half-second (500 milisecond) section of purely background noise, select Noise Removal under Effects, click Get Noise Profile, then go back to Noise Removal and click Ok. You may have to do this more than once, but it it a veritable life saver.

4. Don't be afraid of the mic! The microphone will not hurt you, please get closer to it! Enough said!

5. Get a little crafty! I made my own mic stand and pop filer from a DIY YouTube video! It's a fairly inexpensive way to fabricate the things you need and don't want to pay exorbitant amounts of money to obtain. This is the video I used, but find what works for you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdEu83NO-qo

6. Don't ever apologize! The moment you apologize for your microphone quality, you have lost you chance at that part! Be confident in yourself! Do what you can to make your recordings sound good, then roll with it. More often than not, the Owner of the project probably didn't notice the poor quality until you said something. If you don't like what you produce, how can you expect anyone else to!?

I hope that helped! I'm still fairly new to this myself, but what does that matter? I fumbled my way through beginning amateur voice acting, and figured out most of this on my own. I don't want poor mic quality or a lack of confidence to stand in the way of anyone else's art.

So there you have it!

As always,

Ali
baileymermaid95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #34
FakeTsuki

Dunno if this is still up for discussion and such, but...

Recording Software/Mixing:
- Audacity, Standard most people use and free
- Adobe Audition. Easy to access, fairly easy to use
- FL Studio, A little harder to figure out at first, but very good to use

As for my recording tools:
- Logitect Headset, my first recording tool. Not much range but it did give a different quality to my voice
- Blue Yeti with Puff Guard

^^ If this helps.
FakeTsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015   #35
MilanTheVillain01

Send a message via MSN to MilanTheVillain01

Upgraded my equipment, my current rig now consists of the following:

Recording program: Audacity.
Current Microphone: Behringer C-1.
Current Interface: Scarlett 2i2.
Extras: Kaotica Eyeball

Last edited by MilanTheVillain01; 11-27-2015 at 04:05 AM.
MilanTheVillain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015   #36
Xlerb

Current Mic: Shure SM7B
Recording Program: Audacity
Current Interface: Shure XLR to USB converter

Here's my setup as of now. It's great but the room is untreated so I need to the "booth in a blanket" method to get rid of reverb.
Xlerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015   #37
Purplecrayon

Smile Re: What recording stuff are you using?

I use a Blue Yeti Microphone and a Knox pop filter. I REALLY like this mic, it sounds wonderful and has everything I need. (Such as a gain knob, simple controls, and different modes to record in!)

I have used audacity in the past for other things non voice acting related, so I know enough to remove some background noise, edit out my mouse clicking, and how to export the audio. I'd love to find a way to make the background noise fully disappear, but for now, my setup is great!

I started out recording myself with headphones, and I'll have to say, there's a huge difference when you buy and plug in your first real mic and record yourself. Especially if you can hear yourself. The moment was just amazing. I'm so glad I bought a mic!

Purplecrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016   #38
conzza96

Hi,

I've done a fair bit of voice acting, myself. I use Audacity (like so many others) to record all my stuff. I personally think it does the job just fine and has a powerful Noise Removal tool which is very useful. Another handy thing about Audacity (again, I'm only giving my own personal opinion here) is that there's a pitch change effect, which is great for me if an audition requires a deep voice (which I don't really have a DEEP voice) so this helps a lot. I also started with just a cheap mic, but that gave me exactly what I bought: a cheap sound with lots of static noise in the background.

I um'd and ah'd for a while but took the plunge and bought a Blue Yeti mic which set me back just shy of 110. I would say it's definitely worth it. The Blue Yeti is a USB mic so no worries about XLR cables or Phantom power (I found this out the hard way with my first mic). The quality is brilliant and has a great range of recording patterns, the best for standalone voice acting would be cardioid.

I even bought a Behringer 302 USB mixer for my first mic in the hopes it might help improve the quality dramatically... it didn't. Also, a pop filter is massively important when recording, it makes a huge difference to the quality of your recordings. I used this mic to record the advert for my book.

You can take a listen here if you like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYGJCNCZf1Q

I'm certainly not a pro, but I do feel as though I have a good general knowledge, if I can help, I will!

Connor Wolf
conzza96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016   #39
chadderbox

AT 4047 & 2035 (if I think I'm gonna be beating up the mic a bit)
audiobox USB interface/preamp

audacity is very easy and simple for amateur work
but for more professional work I used adobe. audacity has hidden limiters that you don't get to see from just the look of it. adobe products might be intimidating at first but very little of the slides and whistles make a different, adobe audition and soundbooth allow for the recording to open up much more, it will take much higher volumes and pitches without peaking, it basically takes the safety off that audacity implements. its like going from the easy to use, user friendly Mac interfaces that make it hard to break or screw up, and throw you into the world of PC where the sky is the limit but you better be careful so you don't eff everything up.
chadderbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016   #40
Jester of Spades

I use Garageband for the most part. Though I don't have a very good Microphone just a small USB microphone
Jester of Spades is offline   Reply With Quote