Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Cartoon Network

Cartoon Network Discuss Cartoon Network Shows

Old 04-22-2013   #11
JSD
Banned

Default Re: Pokemon Black & White (may contain spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Checked it out and Muk smothering Oak was about the only thing that was close to a throwback to the original series. I'm pretty sure that Oak was Jimmy Zoppi as it still sounded like Gary. Ash's advice was good, Iris wasn't as annoying, but Cilan's food puns are too ridiculous for me. Team Rocket has never fully recited their original motto and instead do variations. I'm gonna check the beginning of BW and see the episodes up to where Team Rocket goes back to their old uniforms but they seem to have become competent villains again so that's an improvement at least. But yeah I'm done with new episodes since I don't like the new direction the franchise is going in.
I sadly disliked today's episode as well. Now, I DO think, Sarah was good as Ash, Eileen was good as Iris, and Jason was good as Cilan too. However, TPCi's TRio sounded terrible in the dub episode today. Professor Oak sounded...I'm sorry...poor as well, but that's because of Carter Cathcart using his standard voice for the role (to be fair, I do think it IS better than how he sounded at the beginning of BW). Ironically, Stuart Zagnit did play Cedric Juniper in this very same episode, and I think he did a solid job, but sadly it seems like they want to remain consistent with inconsistency, hence Cathcart will keep the role of Professor Oak unless he should depart the franchise. *sighs*

The episode itself was good. I really enjoyed it, though. The Unova League may have been terrible, but the episode wasn't. I'd give it a 8/10. On a sour note, the dub was very mediocre today (it's a shame, normally TPCi has been cranking out MUCH better dub eps this series, but this was not a good episode for them). I'd give them a 5.5/10 for today's episode. It's not a good one for them, IMO.

Oh, and Pete, completely agreed on Zoppi's Oak. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now. I have seen no real change here.

My patience has run very thin too. This is probably the final series for me. I sadly hate the direction in which Pokemon has gone, voice acting, plot, emotion, characters...you name it. It's not just the dub. The whole series, to me, is going in a direction I can't follow with a good conscience. I like BW, but I'm just not happy with some things they have done to the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemastanumba1 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING!!! If you haven't watched at least a majority of the Black & White series, please don't read this entire post, as it may spoil it for you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgot to get back into the conversation before, but hey, better late than never. And don't want to get into another 4Kids vs. PUSA/TPCi debate, so back to discussing the particular topic of this thread...

The BW series started out ok. I actually like Cilan as a character, and while Iris is pretty annoying, she does have her moments. From Sandile's second appearance, I knew he'd have to become a part of Ash's team eventually, like he did in his fourth one later on. Krookodile is one of my favorite of Ash's Pokémon, not to mention by far best of his Unova team IMO. As for Ash himself, I don't care for his redesign, nor the fact that he's still 10 after all these years, but as they say, some kids never grow up. At least he hasn't lost too much of his old self, and he does show some good know-how in battle sometimes.

The rivals are pretty decent. I didn't like how Ash kept losing to Trip everytime, but I guess that's how plot devices work. Ash had to be the one who's portrayed as the newbie of the group this season, as Cilan is a Gym Leader, and Iris had trained to be a Dragon Master. It was quite inevitable for them to set up Ash like that. I liked Bianca as a rival, she's really cute and very funny. Burgundy and Georgia are a bit of a pain (bonus geek points to anyone who gets the reference), but I liked how Iris and Cilan had their own rivals anyway. Stephan hasn't had as much development as the others, but he did have a bit of good build-up over the Clubsplosion arc. Too bad it didn't last though.

Unfortunately, it started to get bad at the end of BW Rival Destinies and got worse by the Unova League. I just can't believe it took a full six of Ash's Pokémon to defeat three of Roxie's. Sure it was nice seeing Koffing for the first time since the original series, but how does it manage to wipe out Boldore and Unfezant one after the other? Scolipede and Garbodor were pretty overpowered as well. Trip's Serperior somehow managed to OHKO a Darmanitan and a Heatmor using SolarBeam, and when he battled Ash, Pignite didn't even land a single hit! Yet it fell to a single Volt-Tail in the Unova League preliminaries. And don't get me started on Ash's full battle against Cameron.

The new episode this morning was pretty good though. Ash isn't done traveling through Unova with Iris or Cilan, and it was really neat to hear Team Rocket reciting their original motto. As for Professor Oak, we even got to see Muk smothering him again. I'm not sure if Stan Hart had returned to the role, but if he didn't, then I must say that Jimmy Zoppi's impression has certainly improved.

Spoilers end here.

My friend, I personally hear little change in Mr. Cathcart's Professor Oak. I hate to be rude, but to me it's mostly the same voice he's used since Battle Frontier. I mean, I DO think he did a LITTLE better than he did at the beginning of BW where he sounded more like his James...it's a slight improvement, but overall...it's mostly the same thing as always. It still sounds absolutely nothing like Stuart Zagnit's version to me. Not to be rude or anything, just to share my opinion on the matter. Maybe if Carter didn't mind, Stuart could give him so advice? *shrugs*

Also, my friend, completely agreed on the BW series so far. It's a mixed bag through and through. lol.

BWS1- Excellent. Brought that feeling of newness back to the series that was long overdue. 9.5/10
BWS2- Awful. Terrible league, the cameo was average, etc. 5/10
BWS2: N- It's actually REALLY good. You'll like it. I've seen it subbed, but I won't spoil anymore for you. I give it a 8/10. The dub unfortunately has had an extremely rocky start, IMO.

Oh, and no problem PokeMastaNumba01, there's nothing to be ashamed of, man. I've done some stupid things, I'm not proud of them, but I guess it hurts me so much to see the franchise this way that I was blinded by rage to see how rude I was being. I'm glad I still have you guys to talk to about BW. Almost everyone is gone now from the older fanbase. We're pretty much the last of the vets still around for the long haul. It's really quite sad. *sigh*

Today's dub episode...personally, it completely shot me down. It's TRio I'm honestly horrified at this saga, and this episode really shows why. TRio has sadly slipped back into TPCi DP mode this episode...only good part is, Meowth didn't go "Dig it!" so that helped.

What's sad is that I know TPCi can do better than this. They were doing fine this saga, until this episode for me. I'm very disappointed in today's episode (except Sarah and Eileen-- excellent VA work from them today). Hopefully they'll be able to pick it up again next episode and prove me wrong.

To be fair, TPCi has made ENORMOUS strides with their dub over the years, though, no doubt. We've even had many FUNi VAs cameo on the show, and gotten 75% of the 4Kids talent pool back on for one-time roles. I think they ARE trying to improve. It's just that I think they lack the genuine emotion or feeling behind it that I sadly don't see from them. Many of their dub voices were just plain inappropriate for the characters as well (until BW, that is).

*sighs* It's sad, I do want to praise TPCi, yet I can't bring myself to do it for this episode. I'm not happy with today's dub episode.

Last edited by JSD; 04-23-2013 at 03:24 PM.
JSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #12
pokemastanumba1

Talking Pokemon Black & White

So...Stan Hart hasn't returned as Professor Oak, despite him coming back mid-BW to voice Cedric Juniper? Oak isn't a very regular character, so I was pretty sure that they could've brought him back as Oak with little to no hassle. It's a real shame if they haven't, since I love Stan Hart's Oak, and he really enjoyed the role.

The Unova League really sucked, but, considering that they're trying to bring back Team Plasma into the anime, as well as making preparations for the Generation VI games, X & Y, I suppose that the major factor, besides terrible writing, is how there's a bit of pressure to keep the BW series going. Of course, they're most likely already planning on the ending by now, so it was obviously a bit of a rushed effort to make the League end ASAP, no matter how it could've turned out (which we all know could've been a lot better).

As for the N & Team Plasma saga, I have seen some trailers, and even a couple of subbed episodes. I'd probably watch more, even going as far as the Japanese episodes are, but I've always stuck with the dub, so I'd feel a bit guilty doing so. Of course, I can't spoil anything, especially since I've (probably) already done so for those who haven't kept up with the dub either, but I must say that it does seem very interesting and well thought-out. It's nice how much Team Plasma has been built-up, and if anything, they might air the early BW episodes featuring them that were cancelled late in development because of the earthquake (haven't made any promises though).
Old 04-23-2013   #13
SupremeTarantulas

Default Re: Pokemon Black & White

Quote:
So...Stan Hart hasn't returned as Professor Oak, despite him coming back mid-BW to voice Cedric Juniper? Oak isn't a very regular character, so I was pretty sure that they could've brought him back as Oak with little to no hassle. It's a real shame if they haven't, since I love Stan Hart's Oak, and he really enjoyed the role.

The Unova League really sucked, but, considering that they're trying to bring back Team Plasma into the anime, as well as making preparations for the Generation VI games, X & Y, I suppose that the major factor, besides terrible writing, is how there's a bit of pressure to keep the BW series going. Of course, they're most likely already planning on the ending by now, so it was obviously a bit of a rushed effort to make the League end ASAP, no matter how it could've turned out (which we all know could've been a lot better).

As for the N & Team Plasma saga, I have seen some trailers, and even a couple of subbed episodes. I'd probably watch more, even going as far as the Japanese episodes are, but I've always stuck with the dub, so I'd feel a bit guilty doing so. Of course, I can't spoil anything, especially since I've (probably) already done so for those who haven't kept up with the dub either, but I must say that it does seem very interesting and well thought-out. It's nice how much Team Plasma has been built-up, and if anything, they might air the early BW episodes featuring them that were cancelled late in development because of the earthquake (haven't made any promises though).
So that was it? I was wondering what the deal was. That being said if Wikipedia can be trusted(which to me isn't a problem as far as air dates are concerned) the episodes are airing in July.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013   #14
JSD
Banned

Quote:

Yeah, I agree too. From what I've heard, DuArt wants to maintain "consistency" with their prior seasons and the TAJ-dubbed seasons, so that's probably why they didn't let Stan reprise the role. Personally? I think that's a bunch of nonsense. I wish Cathcart would try to sound more like Zagnit, but I guess he feels he has created his own distinctive voice for the character. I suppose it fits somewhat...but for me, it's plain awful to listen to. Zagnit gave off such a more...elderly and wise flair to his version of Professor Oak. It's a shame, but yeah, that's their reasoning (or to me, excuse) for why Zagnit did not reprise the role.

The Unova League was indeed terrible, sub or dub. I thought the dub was fine there, but the episodes themselves were written so poorly I can't help but view BWS2 and the latter end of Rival Destinies-beginning of Adventures in Unova in a negative light. Apart from Ash vs. Stephan and a few other moments, I found it a trainwreck to say the least. lol.

Oh, Episode N is a good saga. It has somewhat redeemed the BWS2 arc for me, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Last edited by JSD; 04-23-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2013   #15
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSD View Post
Yeah, I agree too. From what I've heard, DuArt wants to maintain "consistency" with their prior seasons and the TAJ-dubbed seasons, so that's probably why they didn't let Stan reprise the role. Personally? I think that's a bunch of nonsense. I wish Cathcart would try to sound more like Zagnit, but I guess he feels he has created his own distinctive voice for the character. I suppose it fits somewhat...but for me, it's plain awful to listen to. Zagnit gave off such a more...elderly and wise flair to his version of Professor Oak. It's a shame, but yeah, that's their reasoning (or to me, excuse) for why Zagnit did not reprise the role.

The Unova League was indeed terrible, sub or dub. I thought the dub was fine there, but the episodes themselves were written so poorly I can't help but view BWS2 and the latter end of Rival Destinies-beginning of Adventures in Unova in a negative light. Apart from Ash vs. Stephan and a few other moments, I found it a trainwreck to say the least. lol.

Oh, Episode N is a good saga. It has somewhat redeemed the BWS2 arc for me, and I'd recommend it to anyone.
He clearly thinks he should sound like an aged Gary just because they're related.

Last edited by SupremeTarantulas; 10-04-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2013   #16
pokemastanumba1

Arrow Re: Pokemon Black & White

I don't think consistency would actually matter that much to them, or least it shouldn't in this case, since Ted Lewis reprised Giovanni, and Mike Pollock reprised Contesta (though, Craig Blair had left the series mid-DP). Bringing back Stan Hart as Oak shouldn't be a big deal.

Anyway, I don't have cable, Dish Network, Comcast, etc., so I keep up with the series with whatever's uploaded on the Internet. The dub just reached the N saga, so I'll be sure to stay on the lookout for more new episodes.
Old 04-24-2013   #17
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
I don't think consistency would actually matter that much to them, or least it shouldn't in this case, since Ted Lewis reprised Giovanni, and Mike Pollock reprised Contesta (though, Craig Blair had left the series mid-DP). Bringing back Stan Hart as Oak shouldn't be a big deal.

Anyway, I don't have cable, Dish Network, Comcast, etc., so I keep up with the series with whatever's uploaded on the Internet. The dub just reached the N saga, so I'll be sure to stay on the lookout for more new episodes.
So does that mean Ted is back as Tracy again too if he hasn't disappeared like everyone besides Delia and Oak?
Old 04-24-2013   #18
JSD
Banned

Quote:

Yeah, honestly, I don't know why Stan isn't Professor Oak right now. It's not really a major role in this case, and like you said, Ted Lewis and Mike Pollock got to reprise Giovanni and Contesta, back in DP080 and "Yes in Dee-Dee, It's Dawn!" back in Seasons 11/12, respectively. It shouldn't be a big deal. *sigh*

Quote:
So does that mean Ted is back as Tracy again too if he hasn't disappeared like everyone besides Delia and Oak?
If Tracey should make another appearance, Ted Lewis would be the one voicing him, seeing as Craig Blair has left the franchise entirely. So yeah, should Tracey appear again, Ted would reprise the role.
Old 04-25-2013   #19
SupremeTarantulas

So if something like in Puzzle League where Jimmy didn't reprise Gary that's our only hope?
Old 04-27-2013   #20
JSD
Banned

Quote:
So if something like in Puzzle League where Jimmy didn't reprise Gary that's our only hope?
Exactly, though I'm pretty sure they used stock footage of him as Gary in that game. lol.

I'm getting the impression he's going for an aged Gary like you did in last week's episode, as opposed to a Zagnit impression like he used to. Regardless, his voice doesn't fit Professor Oak in my eyes, but I get the same vibe as you on that one.

Anyway, from what I've heard about today's episode, N's voice is better in the anime than in the BW2 trailer. Apparently they got Nicholas DiMichele (some new VA to voice acting-- doesn't surprise me considering Tom's track-record of this in BW) to do N. Funny enough, I heard he does a good N compared to how Tom Wayland did him in the trailer. I'll have to hear DiMichele for myself to judge his voice for the role.

Last edited by JSD; 04-27-2013 at 10:08 PM.