Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Cartoon Network

Cartoon Network Discuss Cartoon Network Shows

Old 02-15-2013   #11
Blair

Default Re: Holy crap guys new Teen Titans!!!!!

I was a fan of the original Teen Titans (not as much as the other series in the DCAU, though,) but I'd rather they scrap this and keep YJ and GL. Cartoon Network has plenty of "childish comedy" shows (which is what I believe this is going to be... like Teen Titans but more of a Spongebob/Flapjack feel to it.) Kids of all ages enjoy more than just comedy cartoons (look at the English-dubbed Anime series that ran so popular in the U.S. until parents started complaining about the violence level.) and cartoons are watched by more thna just little kids. Avatar: The Last Airbender moved almost completely away from the typical Cartoon Network stereotype and became one of the most praised series in years.

One of the few ways Teen Titans was criticized was for looking too Anime by comparison of the other DCAU cartoons (Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, Justice League, et al.) It was the excuse used my CN to cancel the show. Fans began protesting immediately, but past experience shows that CN never listens. This (modeled after the shorts, I am assuming) looks less Anime, sure, but overall lower quality. Once again, pulling the high-praised high-budget show for a much lower budget show (but throwing it in as a "DC Nation" series despite not looking at all like the rest) hoping it will be popular.
Old 02-15-2013   #12
NCZ
Not The Only Admin

Bit of an outsider here, but I feel like offering my thoughts. I haven't seen Teen Titans in years, and I don't want to really judge until I've seen this new show, but let me say I can definitely understand why the fans would be upset.

To me, I think Teen Titans was a lot like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in that it was a serious show that still had plenty of comedy and wasn't afraid to have episodes that were downright silly. But, the thing that made their silliness great (as opposed to what TTG will be) was that even those episodes were meaningful and no less well-written than the rest of the show.

Look at it this way. Buffy and Angel had some episodes that were truly ridiculous in concept, like a musical where everybody sings or Angel getting turned into a Muppet. But they worked due to genuinely funny comedy, clever writing, the silliness not being too over-the-top, and still feeling like episodes of the show by further developing the plot and characters.

Now, with Teen Titans, here you have a spinoff of a show that had some comedic elements, and they're taking them and exaggerating them so that they're over-the-top and the show completely revolves around them. I felt that for a superhero show, Teen Titans really hit the perfect balance between comedy and drama. Now, with such a massive shift in tone that completely removes that balance and focuses on only one aspect that made the show great, it's easy to see why fans would be alienated. This is not the revival they were expecting.

And, like Blair and many of the commenters are saying, it's yet another zany comedy series. Don't get me wrong, I love comedy, but there are PLENTY of comedic cartoons on the channel. What is there that will separate TTG from them? It's good to have a more dramatic show for variety's sake, potentially bringing in more viewers to the channel who don't have much interest in the really comedy-heavy shows.

I think that TTG worked better in the shorts format. As a full series, I really don't see it working as well.
Old 02-16-2013   #13
TheVengeanceKnight

I enjoyed the original TT series, but I can't see myself enjoying this. I'd rather see a proper continuation of the original series.
TheVengeanceKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #14
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVengeanceKnight View Post
I enjoyed the original TT series, but I can't see myself enjoying this. I'd rather see a proper continuation of the original series.
Agreed. If you want a few laughs it will be ok and would work for young children but I want certain storylines such as the Terra arc that was unresolved to continue.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #15
RachaelLane1984

I was a fan of the original Teen Titans show when it was still on CN though I have yet to see this show though I am wondering from the comments that I have seen on here is it worth even the time to check it out.
RachaelLane1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #16
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelLane1984 View Post
I was a fan of the original Teen Titans show when it was still on CN though I have yet to see this show though I am wondering from the comments that I have seen on here is it worth even the time to check it out.
It hasn't even premiered yet. This is mostly anger from fan of the original show that dion't like what they hear.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #17
RachaelLane1984

Oh, okay. So when does the new show premiere?
RachaelLane1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #18
Cypo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelLane1984 View Post
Oh, okay. So when does the new show premiere?
April 27th.

And on that note, I share my thoughts on this.

I'll admit I wasn't an avid watcher of Teen Titans. When it came on, I was quick to dismiss it for it's designs and comedic approach (whereas all superhero shows at that time we trying to treat their properties with a level of seriousness). However upon checking out some episodes, I felt bad for initially dismissing it, since it knew how to balance it's story and comedy well. The characters were all memorable, it followed season-long arcs (which I LOVE), the comedy was genuinely funny. However, despite all these, I still wasn't as invested in the show as I was with Justice League at the time. So when word the series was being cancelled, it mattered very little to me, but I still felt sympathy for those who were upset to see it go (especially on a cliffhanger ending).

So, when DC Nation introduced the Teen Titans shorts, I had already figured it was likely a testing ground to see if people were still interested in Teen Titans for a potential continuation. And upon the announcement... uuuhhhh... this isn't what I'm expecting. As instead of a continuation of where they left off, it's basically a half hour version of those DC Nation shorts. But now animated in Adobe Flash. *confused hand waving*

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is that really what people want? I'm not saying it might not be good or funny or anything... but think about it, what would you rather have if given the option: An actual animated sequel series that picks up where it left off, with more adventures and arcs and such. Or a show that focuses entirely on comedy, which just comes off more like a parody than a legit series?

Now taken, I have not seen the new show yet, so I could be wrong in my early assumptions. But personally... after the Young Justice/Green Lantern: TAS fiasco, I don't really PLAN to check the show out. Marvel really hurt me as a viewer when they cancelled most of their shows in favour of what Jeph Loeb and the Man of Action hacks think makes a good TV show (which apparently is stand-alone episodes and terrible Family Guy-esq 4th wall breaking jokes). And now WB and CN have hurt me with the premature cancellation of Young Justice and Green Lantern with it's replacements being a *more* comedic Teen Titans spinoff and yet another Batman TV series, because not like the Dark Knight hasn't had five shows already in the past 20 years. All these have just made me swear off any superhero cartoon shows for the foreseeable future.

But, that is just me and how I feel. If you guys are looking forward to show, then by all means, I hope you guys enjoy it.
Cypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013   #19
Foxwolf
Administrator

"Teen Titans Go! premieres on Tuesday, April 23, at 7:30pm"
Old 03-17-2013   #20
UltimateCharm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypo View Post
April 27th.

And on that note, I share my thoughts on this.

I'll admit I wasn't an avid watcher of Teen Titans. When it came on, I was quick to dismiss it for it's designs and comedic approach (whereas all superhero shows at that time we trying to treat their properties with a level of seriousness). However upon checking out some episodes, I felt bad for initially dismissing it, since it knew how to balance it's story and comedy well. The characters were all memorable, it followed season-long arcs (which I LOVE), the comedy was genuinely funny. However, despite all these, I still wasn't as invested in the show as I was with Justice League at the time. So when word the series was being cancelled, it mattered very little to me, but I still felt sympathy for those who were upset to see it go (especially on a cliffhanger ending).

So, when DC Nation introduced the Teen Titans shorts, I had already figured it was likely a testing ground to see if people were still interested in Teen Titans for a potential continuation. And upon the announcement... uuuhhhh... this isn't what I'm expecting. As instead of a continuation of where they left off, it's basically a half hour version of those DC Nation shorts. But now animated in Adobe Flash. *confused hand waving*

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is that really what people want? I'm not saying it might not be good or funny or anything... but think about it, what would you rather have if given the option: An actual animated sequel series that picks up where it left off, with more adventures and arcs and such. Or a show that focuses entirely on comedy, which just comes off more like a parody than a legit series?

Now taken, I have not seen the new show yet, so I could be wrong in my early assumptions. But personally... after the Young Justice/Green Lantern: TAS fiasco, I don't really PLAN to check the show out. Marvel really hurt me as a viewer when they cancelled most of their shows in favour of what Jeph Loeb and the Man of Action hacks think makes a good TV show (which apparently is stand-alone episodes and terrible Family Guy-esq 4th wall breaking jokes). And now WB and CN have hurt me with the premature cancellation of Young Justice and Green Lantern with it's replacements being a *more* comedic Teen Titans spinoff and yet another Batman TV series, because not like the Dark Knight hasn't had five shows already in the past 20 years. All these have just made me swear off any superhero cartoon shows for the foreseeable future.

But, that is just me and how I feel. If you guys are looking forward to show, then by all means, I hope you guys enjoy it.
Yeah, I saw a commercial of the Teen Titans and honestly, I'm not interested in checking it out. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem to hold the same magic that the old show had. It looks like its more interested in making jokes and being cartoony for cartoony sake instead of telling a story.

And don't get me started on Jeph Loeb. He's the ******* reason that the last 12 episodes of A:EMH were "poor" to say the least. If I'm going to go on a tangent a bit here, Marvel's animated series were never as good compared to DC's and this is coming from a huge Marvel fan who watched The Avengers more than three times in theaters. And with the new Hulk show and Avengers Assemble coming out soon, along with Ultimate Spider-Man still airing, that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

I'll just end my rant with this. I hate Jeph Loeb (or rather what he stands for). I pretty much hate everything Loeb has made. Batman: Hush was overrated, I hated Red Hulk, I hated Ultimates 3, I really, REALLY hated Ultimatum. If I hear tomorrow that Jeph Loeb was fired from Marvel or something like that, I would jump off the roof of my home yelling and screaming madly as I plummet to the ground. And I would do it for two straight days.
How many centuries have I walked this world... caught in the crossfire of human existence? I have walked and walked -- and my eyes have beheld such struggle, such suffering, such unmitigated EVIL... The time will come when I hold the secret in my hands; when I will TRULY KNOW THE SOURCE of humanity's evil... ...and that knowledge will lead me through the Abyss ... to the threshold of GOD. And then the Day of Redemption will arrive-- for this weary world...
UltimateCharm is offline   Reply With Quote