Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Animation Central > Cartoon Network

Cartoon Network Discuss Cartoon Network Shows

Old 06-22-2014   #11
SupremeTarantulas

Default Re: Pokemon XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savate View Post
TPCi butchered the Original Theme Song though: 4Kids' did a better remix of it back with Johto League Champions than TPCi did here with XY, of course. That slogan came back in BW, though, not XY. I don't think they're entertaining, personally: Ash is bland and lacks personality...nothing more than your standard shonen hero without any uniqueness or real character anymore, Bonnie makes me want to scream......Serena does nothing but stand in the background for like...30+ episodes now, but I do agree with you on Clemont being good. TR...TR are BS now, 'nuff said...man, I didn't think they could be made more unbearable than how they were in DP, but now. I think the writing (apart from Ash) has regressed in spades from BW, but then that's just me. I disagree: this is one of the most stale and repetitive takes on the franchise...there's nothing that stands out to me anymore, the dubbing is awful now...makes for a deadly combination, IMO. That said, to each their own-- it's fine if you like it, but I don't, sadly. Of course, the English dub has gone so downhill to me over the last several years that it's hard to stand nowadays.
Well they made a novice in BW, made him try to catch Pokemon without battling and such, then remade classic episodes, though D7P did this to. This feels more like the original seasons than BW did, though I did like BW when I Charizard returned. Episodes around then weren't bad. I don't have a Robles with these eps, but haven't watched a majority of TCPI dubbed ones, as I missed the rest if BF, and half if D&P. One of my personal favorites is the ghost Pokemon episodes they do, this one in particular was no different, I posted my opinion a while ago when it it aired but they're a gem of the anime IMO.

Last edited by SupremeTarantulas; 06-22-2014 at 03:42 PM.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #12
Fulgore2005

Post Re: Pokemon XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savate View Post
IMO, this season sucks. TR went back to being retards, JCC and Knotz are worse than they've ever been as TR in the English dub, Natochenny regressed from her BW performance and now Ash sounds terrible again, Alyson Rosenfeld is a terrible Bonnie...ugh, this show is the definition of stale, repetitive, and the English dub is crap compared to how it was in the 4Kids Era. Why they won't let it die? More $$$$$, of course...ugh, just...

If you hate the dub so much, why do you even bother to watch it in the first place?

Fulgore2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #13
Savate
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulgore2005 View Post
If you hate the dub so much, why do you even bother to watch it in the first place?
I "bother to watch it" because I want to like it: I want to watch the show in English again without cringing through episodes, and I want to give it a chance to get its act together, but it hasn't, and it's fairly unbearable to sit through in XY for me (of course, the show itself hasn't, so it's not just the dub to blame-- the writers in JPN aren't helping).

I also watch it because, unfortunately, there's only one English Version of Pokemon available nowadays-- if there was another, I would lunge at the opportunity to see that instead. The Origin's English dub is something I liked, so I'm not opposed to that crew dubbing the Anime: they could actually write decent scripts without gibberish, and put appropriate VAs in roles that they were at least decent in.

Last edited by Savate; 06-25-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Savate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #14
Savate
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Well they made a novice in BW, made him try to catch Pokemon without battling and such, then remade classic episodes, though D7P did this to. This feels more like the original seasons than BW did, though I did like BW when I Charizard returned. Episodes around then weren't bad. I don't have a Robles with these eps, but haven't watched a majority of TCPI dubbed ones, as I missed the rest if BF, and half if D&P. One of my personal favorites is the ghost Pokemon episodes they do, this one in particular was no different, I posted my opinion a while ago when it it aired but they're a gem of the anime IMO.
Of course I'm not excusing how Ash was handled in BW, don't get me wrong, but how he's handled in XY isn't much better, IMO. Yeah, I hated DP with a passion in any language, sadly: for what it did to Brock and TR, I will never like it, bro.

I disagree: it feels more like an AG/DP crossover if that makes sense. BW felt more similar to the OS than XY does to me, in a good way-- the only real problems with BW were how it handled the rivals, the awful Unova League and Da!, as well as Ash's regression-- TR was a lot better in BW than in XY, Iris was much more bearable than Serena or Bonnie, and Cilan was a little more interesting to watch than Clemont to me, (IMO, of course).

Yeah, I agree with the Episode N episodes not being bad-- I liked most of those episodes. I don't blame you at all, really, on the TPCi dubbed ones: I still really like the 4Kids dubbed ones, though. The Espurr one is one of the only good XY episodes I've seen to date-- most have been crap, but that wasn't, so I'll agree there.

Last edited by Savate; 06-25-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Savate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014   #15
HienFan

The dub's getting better than ever a huge improvement from the Battle Frontier days

I seen a bit of this show and it's pretty good, I will try to see more if I can
HienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015   #16
Dr.Who
Banned

This season is...okay, I'm really, really mixed on it, there's some good things, and then there's some bad things. What is good is VERY good, but what is bad is VERY bad about the XY Series, to me.

Team Rocket are just very, very annoying characters again like they were in Diamond & Pearl, and I see online that many fans seem to agree that like Brock in Diamond & Pearl, many feel Team Rocket have stayed on the show for far too long in XY. I myself feel their humor, jokes, and such have become very predictable at this point, and extremely repetitive.

I miss the Best Wishes/Black & White Team Rocket, to me they were a whole lot more fleshed out and characterized much better- even if they had less screen time, it felt like they had far more focus and purpose in that saga than they do in XY.

Ash, I don't know what to say on him, to me he's become very Gary Stu-ish, like people complained about him having no personality in Diamond & Pearl, but he still did when he got hungry. In XY, though, Ash is really just very bland, he doesn't even feel like the same character anymore.

Ash's battles in the XY saga are really good, though, actually they have some really beautiful animation, and nice technique/strategy employed in them.

Clemont is kind of your standard Brock/Cilan of the group, he's really just okay, Serena was terrible at the beginning of XY because basically she was one of those satellite love interest characters, but once she got she got something to do in the performer aspect, she was okay, and Bonnie is...really annoying, actually, I don't find anything she does endearing or realistic for how little girls act, she's just there to market plushie Dedenne(s) to me.

The XY dub, however, well, let's just say this is the season when I gave up on watching the English dub entirely, I really have to say I do think 4Kids' handling of this Series and even TPCi's earlier efforts were much better than TPCi's current efforts. Even at 4Kids' worst with Pokemon, they didn't do as music censorship as TPCi is with the main Anime now, and Ed Goldfarb's dub music practically sends shivers down my spine at how poorly composed and misplaced it is, it gives off this ballet type feel, and it's just...not fitting for a Series with so much energy and drama in it.

The XY dub's voice acting, don't like it, honestly, you'd think with TPCi having the dub for 9 years with 3 different voice directors the dub would be better, rather than worse, but I guess not. I still don't like Natochenny's take on Ash at all, it just doesn't sound like a boy to me, but rather a woman doing a deep voice, and the rest of the dub cast in my eyes are just so miscast I don't know how to articulate it without sounding rude, so I'll leave it at that.

The XY dub's dialogue/script writing is just grating, Team Rocket's alliterations and rhyming as well as "Na, na, na, na, poo, poo," are really juvenile, Ash's slang as well as variations of "I'm so psyched" and "Science is so amazing" catchphrase are very hipster like, and Bonnie's third person speech and dialogue like "Yeah, try, try," "Clemont, Clemont, catch it, catch it," come off as very talking down to your audience like to me.

Overall, I don't like the dub nowadays, which is why I watch the Japanese Version instead, to me it comes off as much more professional a product.

Last edited by Dr.Who; 12-06-2015 at 12:35 AM.
Dr.Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015   #17
Torak

Agreed with you a LOT there man. Actually, I somewhat enjoyed the series at first (like the first 30 or so episodes.) The Kalos region is beautiful to look at, the music is nice, I frequently enjoy the battles and I was interested in where the Ash-Serena dynamic would go.

Then it sort of went downhill for me. The episodes became more repetitive/predictable, some of the dialogue is pretty annoying and the new Stories and Characters aren't very interesting. I can't stand Team Rocket anymore either (at least they're not in every episode like in D/P.) I've honestly stopped watching it for a while.

The New York dub to me is... ehh. Like a 4/10 ehh. Some of the acting is decent, but some of the voices just don't match the Characters at all (Sycamore's voice -_-), it says something when I legitimately enjoy Ash's gym battles in the Japanese dub.

Now the Pokemon XY series for me is alike to watching the Star Wars prequels: great to look at most of the time, very entertaining battles but Story, Characters (and especially the dialogue) are pretty flat. I'll still be on the lookout for a new episode that looks interesting to me. Here's hoping
Torak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015   #18
vgiannell5

I've been wondering about why Bonnie is looking for a girlfriend for her brother, Clemont.

What's her reason for doing that?
vgiannell5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015   #19
Dr.Who
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgiannell5 View Post
I've been wondering about why Bonnie is looking for a girlfriend for her brother, Clemont.

I don't think there's been any explanation for that, but personally, I've always found that creepy, and I've never met little girls that do that like Bonnie in real life.

Brock's flirting made more sense since he's a teenager and all in earlier seasons (that gag became ridiculous in DP, though), but this, I just don't understand.

Last edited by Dr.Who; 12-07-2015 at 01:33 AM.
Dr.Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015   #20
SupremeTarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgiannell5 View Post

Last I checked the earlier episodes she tells random women she wants someone taking care of him.
SupremeTarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote