Go Back   Behind The Voice Actors > Site Helpers > Whose Voice is This?

Whose Voice is This? Heard a voice recently but can't figure out who provided it then post it here and let us help.

Old 3 Days Ago   #31
drakh

Default The Brave Tailor

The Brave Tailor

Campbell Lane - Narrator 0:06
Terry Klassen - Stefan the Proud 0:18
Scott McNeil - Tailor 1:27
David Kaye - Guard 5:53
Dale Wilson - Guard 5:56, Onlooker 6:10
Allan Stewart-Coates - Onlooker 6:07
Doc Harris - Giant 6:38

Campbell Lane - Giant's Cousin 1:08
- Servant 4:07
Allan Stewart-Coates - Chancellor 4:12
- Knights (Singing) 7:01
David Kaye - Forest Bandit 8:00
Scott McNeil - Bandit's Brother 8:02
Cathy Weseluck - Lookout 10:51

I think I mostly got this. There's weird bit in the first episode around 1:16 to 1:26 I'm not sure what to make off. It sounds like Lane goes from being the narrator to singing in character as the tailor, before there's a pretty rough cut to Scott McNeil taking over the song. It's very jarring and noticeable, since Lane is mixed "neutrally" like the narrator, while Scott has a slight reverb on him.
drakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #32
drakh

Default A Toy For Tanya

A Toy For Tanya

Kathleen Barr - Mother Rabbit 0:31
?Andrea Libman - Robbie (Dark Eyes) 0:33,1:17
Terry Klassen - Cricket 1:27,7:51
- Bee 2:12
- Tanya 2:30
Cathy Weseluck - Rabbit 6:54

Unsure about Robbie, but Libman is the best match I can think of. Tanya might be the same actress as Grechen in Pot of Porridge, too bad we don't have credits.
Old 2 Days Ago   #33
InspectorFix

Default Re: Films by Jove dubs of Soyuzmultfilm cartoons

I tried to post this yesterday, so apologies if it duplicates. I was fascinated to find this thread, having spent some time researching the 'Animated Classic Showcase' series last year. I'm very impressed by drakh's voice recognition skills, especially without having seen the cast lists in some cases!

Here is the episode 'The Little Mermaid': https://www.dropbox.com/s/vca8zgww54ykvwx/

Apologies the end credits are cut off. Here are the details, along with my role suggestions:

Voice Direction: Gordon Hunt
Audio Production: Ocean Studios, Vancouver
Casting Coordinator: Cathy Weseluck

Voices:

Kathleen Barr - Mermaid [01:26], Witch [07:30]
Gary Chalk
Marcy Goldberg
Tammy Isbell
Saffron Henderson
Janyse Jaud
David Kaye
Laara Sadiq
Kelly Sheridan
Louise Vallance - Narrator [00:10], The Little Mermaid (singing) [03:17]
Cathy Weseluck

To me, the lead character [02:01] sounded more like Kelly Sheridan than the other artists. Kelly had no recollection of this work, but was kind enough to listen, responding: "I don't think the lead is me. But they've put an effect on it so it's difficult to tell".
InspectorFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #34
drakh

Default The Little Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorFix View Post
To me, the lead character [02:01] sounded more like Kelly Sheridan than the other artists. Kelly had no recollection of this work, but was kind enough to listen, responding: "I don't think the lead is me. But they've put an effect on it so it's difficult to tell".
Yeah, I'd say that is Kelly. I had the Outer Limits episode Tammy Isbell is in available, and checked to be sure, but as with the other actresses she's not a good fit. As far as I can tell:

Kathleen Barr - Mermaid 2 [01:30,6:01], Sea-Witch [07:30]
Gary Chalk - King 14:15
Marcy Goldberg
Tammy Isbell
Saffron Henderson
Janyse Jaud
David Kaye
Laara Sadiq - Mermaid 1 1:27,5:53
Kelly Sheridan - The Little Mermaid 2:02
Louise Vallance - Narrator [00:10], The Little Mermaid (singing) [03:17]
Cathy Weseluck - Mermaid 3 5:49, Lady 2 13:56

- Princess 4:54,14:31
- Servant 13:35,14:00
- Lady 1 13:47
- Mermaid 4 16:23

(uncredited)
Jason Gray Stanford - Prince 10:20

Did these credits cover multiple "episodes"? Because there were a lot of actors I ought to be able to recognize left over, while others were doing double duty. And I'm quite certain about Stanford even if he's not in the credits you provided.

The servant might have been Sadiq, but I'm not confident enough about her range. And I'm not entirely sure how many Mermaids there are supposed to be, at times it sounds like Barr is playing two different ones, or it might be one of the other actresses. Having Isbell, who I don't really know, in the mix complicates things.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. If you've got any more I'd be happy to watch them.
Old 2 Days Ago   #35
InspectorFix

Wonderful to get your insight on this, drakh! I'm glad I was on the right lines with my guesswork. How interesting that the credits omit Stanford (having listened to the roles you've identified in other episodes, I'm sure you're right about this). I suspected the cast list wasn't entirely accurate - I'm as confused as you are by all the names of unheard artists. The servant girl at [13:35] sounded to me like Louise Vallance again, which doesn't help matters!

You've covered all of the online sources I used and more, but I still have the VHS tape I worked from with the episodes 'The Princess and the Simpleton', 'Bewitched Boy', 'Little Shego', 'The Brave Tailor' and 'In the Deep of the Forest'. I'll try and upload them for you over the weekend, plus the full credits for 'The Little Mermaid'.

I just remembered that Cathy Weseluck confirmed she performed the title role in the episode 'The Golden Antelope', which I haven't been able to find.

I neglected to thank AVHodgson for finding so many of these - great work!
InspectorFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #36
AVHodgson

Quote:
Wonderful to get your insight on this, drakh! I'm glad I was on the right lines with my guesswork. How interesting that the credits omit Stanford (having listened to the roles you've identified in other episodes, I'm sure you're right about this). I suspected the cast list wasn't entirely accurate - I'm as confused as you are by all the names of unheard artists. The servant girl at [13:35] sounded to me like Louise Vallance again, which doesn't help matters!

You've covered all of the online sources I used and more, but I still have the VHS tape I worked from with the episodes 'The Princess and the Simpleton', 'Bewitched Boy', 'Little Shego', 'The Brave Tailor' and 'In the Deep of the Forest'. I'll try and upload them for you over the weekend, plus the full credits for 'The Little Mermaid'.

I just remembered that Cathy Weseluck confirmed she performed the title role in the episode 'The Golden Antelope', which I haven't been able to find.

I neglected to thank AVHodgson for finding so many of these - great work!
Do you happen to have any other episodes other than those? Or credits from episodes that have already been found? Unearthing all those would be a massive help.

Anyway, I found more videos with credits, so here you are:

Cipollino the Onion Boy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYn7ZCwKbxk
A Million in the Sack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgczjfx2VKE
Pot of Porridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EEx-qvdz0c
The Frog Princess and A Toy for Tanya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytZuM91ibsg

I have also managed to construct a complete cast list for the Stories from My Childhood series, including ones that aren't on YouTube at the moment, and will post the rest on the weekend. Most of these were dubbed in Toronto, it seems.

All this being said... here's where we are with the Soyuzmultfilm dubs at the moment. Animated Classic Showcase was distributed as 12 hour-long episodes. I don't know the real order, but here's how Film Roman presented them in blocks:

Adventures of an Ant* / Cipollino the Onion Boy
Legend of the Moor's Will* / The Forest Travelers / The Giant Who Would Be Alone*
The Brave Tailor / In the Deep of the Forest*
The Boy from Napoli / A Million in the Sack
Thumbelina / Soon There Will Be Rain*
Snow White and the Seven Knights* / The Golden Feather
Witch and Switch / The Canterville Ghost / Pot of Porridge
Bewitched Boy* / Little Shego*
The Ugly Duckling / The Golden Antelope*
Snow Postman / A Flame in the Igloo / Grandpa Frost
The Frog Princess / A Toy for Tanya
The Little Mermaid / The Princess and the Simpleton*

Asterisks indicate shorts that aren't yet extant.

Stories from My Childhood was distributed both as full-length films and as a twenty-six half-hour series (with the films cut into two- and three-parters). The films included:

The Snow Queen
The Wild Swans
Alice and the Mystery of the Third Planet
Ivan and His Magic Pony
Pinocchio and the Golden Key
Cinderella/The House on Chicken Legs
The Twelve Months*/The Snow Girl*
The Last Petal
When Wishes Come True
Beauty and the Beast - A Tale of the Crimson Flower
The Nutcracker
The Prince, the Swan and the Czar Saltan*
The Golden Rooster

Over the weekend I will also post their dub of the Soyuzmultfilm Jungle Book with a cast list. This was done in Vancouver as well.
AVHodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #37
drakh

Quote:
Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVHodgson View Post
Anyway, I found more videos with credits, so here you are:

Cipollino the Onion Boy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYn7ZCwKbxk
A Million in the Sack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgczjfx2VKE
Pot of Porridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EEx-qvdz0c
The Frog Princess and A Toy for Tanya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytZuM91ibsg
I've watched Cipollino and Million, just need to double check a few roles. Looks like I did pretty well with Porridge and Tanya, just need fill out a few of the minor roles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVHodgson View Post
Over the weekend I will also post their dub of the Soyuzmultfilm Jungle Book with a cast list. This was done in Vancouver as well.
I wouldn't mind watching it, but I think that one had actors credited with their roles and is already covered on the site.
Old 2 Days Ago   #38
drakh

Default A Million in the Sack

A Million in the Sack

Campbell Lane - Narrator 0:06
Dale Wilson - Mr. Hector Meeser 1:51
?David Kaye - Detective 2:58
Tracy Lee Smyth - Elizabeth 4:18,5:25
Scott McNeil - Alain 5:45
Terry Klassen - Ebony 6:02
Allan Stewart-Coates - Frangellico 6:03

Ken Kramer - Chief of Police 4:48,5:29.6:49
- Little Policemen 6:56

Kathleen Barr
Louise Vallance
Garry Chalk

He's not in the credits, but I keep coming back to David Kaye for the Detective. He's using a British accent, which makes it a bit more difficult, but the only credited castmember it could conceivably be is Ken Kramer and I haven't heard him display that kind of range.

The remaining cast members are presumably playing the Little Policemen, though they just make illegible "hup" vocalizations and it's next to impossible to confirm them.
Old 2 Days Ago   #39
drakh

Default Cipollino

Cipollino

Kathleen Barr - Aunt Cherry 8:56, Prince Cherry 9:44
Paul Dobson - Master Tomato 1:47
Doc Harris - Pumpkin 0:46
David Kaye - Gossiping Vegetable 4:18, Guard Captain 11:19
Terry Klassen - Narrator 0:20, Gossiping Vegetable 4:23
Ken Kramer
Campbell Lane - Grape 1:21
Scott McNeil - Cactus 9:15
Cathy Weseluck - Cipollino 2:28, Aunt Cherry 8:56
Dale Wilson - Father Onion 3:51, Prison Guard 10:26

- Gossiping Vegetable 4:27
- Pear
- Dog 7:00 (Just noises)

Lynda Boyd - Radish 0:51
David Kaye - Onion General 7:30
Terry Klassen - Carrot 10:08

I'm reasonably sure Grape is Lane, but I did consider Kramer for a while. Pear barely says anything.
Old 1 Day Ago   #40
drakh

Default The Boy From Napoli

The Boy From Napoli

Campbell Lane - Narrator 0:18
Cathy Weseluck - Chichu(?) 0:55, Boy 2:37
Terry Klassen - Elf 1:36
Kathleen Barr - Girl 2:04, Witch 8:05
- Mother 2:40
Louise Valance - Fox 7:12,7:59,10:08
Garry Chalk - Wolf 7:25
Scott McNeil - Commandant 8:24

- Horse 0:28
Laara Sadiq - Good Blue Fairy 6:35

The horse might be Barr, but without seeing the cast list I can't rule out it being someone who just sounds similar.